Scary build! - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Structures Forum
Forgotten your password?

Structures Forum Share your ideas and creations here, including your latest kitbash or scratch-built creation!

Old 08-16-2019, 10:22 AM   #11
Steve25
Hobo

Lol! I built and painted that Revell kit of there custom car really nice when I was a kit , and then when I got a BB gun I shot it full of holes just like a dumb kid would on a boring Summer day.

I which I still had most of those kits I built , especially the Sunmarine Seaview if you recall that one from that late 60s TV show?
Steve25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 05:44 AM   #12
Steve25
Hobo

Hi all!

So here's where I am starting of.

On the front of the house only I will replace a fair amount of the window Mullions with ones cut from my stock of these Grandt line Windows, and others I will just need to cut from strip stock that I still need to get.

The kits good looking Chimney unfortunately has no Brick detain it so that needs to relocate to the circular file Can as does the TV antenna.

I also want to change the sad face in the roof stand off above the front door ( what is that called on these and other houses?). to a smile and I think I have figured a way to get the done, fingers crossed here on that!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0969.JPG (1.39 MB, 11 views)
Old 09-11-2019, 05:44 AM   #13
Steve25
Hobo

Well Summer is cooling down so it's back to modeling!

Here's some shots where I have started to get the windows to look better and boy it ain't easy getting those cut out sections of better scaled windows glued back in !

I had to use more super glue then I thought I would so now I have to file out the excess from each 90 degree Conor before I prime the walls with the light gray that I have used on the foundation bricks.

I have spent a fair amount of time driving around and looking at Victorian homes in the area and many have there porch floors painted a green so that my color pick for that area of the kit build.

I have not settled on any other colors yet but for the light gray primer I have been spraying on to be the main base color for everything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0986.JPG (1,011.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0987.JPG (1.16 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0988.JPG (1.04 MB, 4 views)

Old 09-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #14
Spence
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: O
That's going to be one fantastic looking house when it's done.
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #15
Steve25
Hobo

Thanks, I will give it my best shot for all of you!
Old 09-11-2019, 10:42 PM   #16
Chaostrain
Conductor

Scales Modeled: N, HO, On30
I'm curious as to why you are using super glue instead of plastic model glue. It is looking very nice.

Chaostrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:07 AM   #17
Steve25
Hobo

I only had Testirs plastic glue in the bottle on hand and I could not in 4 attempts get a bond to happen as strange as it sounds so it switched to the super glue.

I have some Tenx on order that I hope works better, if not it must be something with the make up of the plastic in this China made kit I would guess and I will have to roll with the super glue and the added work that it makes!
Old 09-13-2019, 05:53 AM   #18
Steve25
Hobo

So I think I have settled on using these 3 main colors plus White in places .

Light tan , Purple and Sky Blue.

The Purple and Blue are a gloss enamel so the whole structure will need a top coat of flat clear which I may have a issue with if it covers too much detail as the enamel is kinda thick all on its own!

I guess I will try it on some scrap plastic that I scratch some lines in and if it does not pass the test I will reluctantly mix my own flat of those two colors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0992.JPG (1.33 MB, 3 views)
Old 09-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #19
Chaostrain
Conductor

Scales Modeled: N, HO, On30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve25 View Post
I only had Testirs plastic glue in the bottle on hand and I could not in 4 attempts get a bond to happen as strange as it sounds so it switched to the super glue.

I have some Tenx on order that I hope works better, if not it must be something with the make up of the plastic in this China made kit I would guess and I will have to roll with the super glue and the added work that it makes!
Oh, ok! Thank you!

Chaostrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #20
flyboy2610
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO, too blind and fumble fingered for N
I have found that for the Testors cement in the bottles to work properly the joint needs to be pretty tight before gluing. For less than perfect joints I prefer the Testors tube type cement. Just be sure to apply it sparingly as it doesn't take much.
flyboy2610 is online now   Reply With Quote