Model Train Forum banner

Random Act of Kindness / Pass it Forward Auction

248K views 1K replies 105 participants last post by  Old_Hobo 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an idea. A Random Act of Kindness "auction".

Now we have all heard of the saying, "One man's junk is another man's treasure". And I'm sure that we all have "junk" laying around in closets, on shelves, in boxes.......

Here is my idea. We start a "barter auction" passing each bid on to others. Here's how it works. Member "A" puts something up for "auction". Member "B" bids by putting something of more or equal value as a "bid" taking what Member "A" has offered. Member "C" bids by putting another item and accepting Member "B's" offering. Working on a "first come, first serve" principle.

It is best explained by the term "trading forward".

Rules
1. Honesty and integrity is mandatory and non-negotiable. Anyone that breaks this code will be dropped from participating.
2. Shipping charges are paid for by the "buyer" unless otherwise offered by the "seller"..
3. Only actual shipping charges plus any special packaging costs(boxes, bubble wrap, ect) No added charges to make a profit. Afterall, it is a "random act of kindness".
4. All disputes will be handled between the parties involved.(See rule #1) The forum, or forum administrator/moderators, will not act as mediator or be held accountable. If no compromise can be met, the participating members will vote to settle the dispute. If it is decided that there is mitigating circumstances (See rule #1)
5. All items must be legal and train related. May be engines, cars, tools, track, or anything railroad.
6. Replacement offers should be close in value to the item claimed. If actual value is less one may offer free shipping.
7. Pictures to identify items and their condition is considered a best practice. Please post picture if at all possible.
8. Preferred shipping will be via a service that offers package tracking(USPS, FedEx, UPS). All "purchases" to be insured at the expense of the "buyer" and figured into the shipping charges..

More rules may be added or existing rules revised as needed.

If there is enough interest, I will be willing to start the "auction" by placing an item for first "bid". Just let me know by posting.

Bob

See less See more
#69 ·
I'm not sure what that last post meant, but I took a look at the S scale forum there. The most recent post was 12/5/08. I'm sure the rest of the site is far more current, but I believe I'll being staying right here. *L*

#70 ·
It'd be cool if we can get back on track and keep this moving forward.

I will put up 1 89' Athearn Blue Box box car kit. This is new, never assembled. All parts still in package. I will post up pics when I can. It's a Great Northern if I remember correctly lol... Modern style boxcar.

#91 ·
I think I will go with NSR CIVIC

Modeltrainhead,

First, thank you for multiple emails and PM's with you address, but I think you are missing the point. I think this was set up as a little way that each of us can reward one another with a little give and take. A way to share more than just material things.
I like knowing that I had a part in creating NSR CIVIC's empire. Maybe someday I will need him to turn a squirrel for me....or even you.
Kyle

NSR CIVIC,

Shott me that address via PM
Kyle

#95 ·
Kyle, it works like this:

1. John puts up an item---let's say it's an HO scale diesel engine.
2. Bill says, "I'd like to have that. In return, I will put up something of equal value in exchange for it: an O scale gondola."
3. Bob says, "I'd like to have that gondola. In return, I will put up something of equal value in exchange for it: a set of three N scale boxcars."
4. CC&O says, "I'd like to have those boxcars. In return, I will put up something of equal value: a bridge."
5. NSR Civic says, "I'd like to have that bridge. Let me see what I can contribute that is of equal value to the bridge."

And so on. It's not a give-away; it's an honor-system trade where the one bidding has to come up with something of equal value to offer in return. To be honest with you, your description of the crossing sounds like it's something of considerably less value. You also need to understand that shipping has to be paid: if an item comes to you prepaid, you are obligated to pay the shipping on the item you put up in it's place. If you have nothing appropriate to offer or cannot pay the shipping, the best course of action is to leave it alone.

Sincerely,

#98 ·
and with that, what happens when next item offered is not wanted? . i'm waiting to put in my offering (i have an engine and a car), but marklin track is of no interest to me. it seems like the entire pass it forward concept gets stuck then. in this case i don't think anyone here besides tworail uses marklin stuff...

#102 ·
ok guys heres the better end of my offering.
lionel #9341 atlantic coast lines caboose.

:D
the 3 pieces of track can be included at no extra charge.
hopefully that will get things moving again.!
p.s.
if any1 wants the marklin stuff shoot me a pm:thumbsup:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.