Model Train Forum banner

Lionel TMCC Crane and Tender

4K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  Krieglok 
#1 ·
I bought a Lionel TMCC PRR 250 ton wrecker about a year ago. Since then I have been searching for the matching boom car or tender in the PRR livery to go with it.

The car isn’t cheap, as it is a sound car. I have seen plenty of other railroad names but the PRR version was impossible to find.

I lucked out when I found one on an eBay auction as it just started. I contacted the owner and made an made an offer he couldn’t refuse. Two days later, it arrived in the mail.

This was one of my “had to haves” so it made my day when I snagged it.

Here are some pics...

Tom

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks Doug. I haven’t powered up the car yet. Curious to see how it syncs with the crane operation...

Spence, are you able to insert the locking pins on the back of the crane cab? There are two of them and I found the task impossible...

Tom

#9 ·
I purchased the Legacy DT&I one from a big dealer at a train show last year on a whim. Mostly the price was too good to pass up. It's definitely become one of my favorite pieces and is definitely a crowd pleaser when I run it on the club layout at train shows. I need to take some time and rig up some more fun things to pick up with it, but for now I mostly just pick up a freight car truck and move it around.

#13 ·
Thanks guys. All the various road names and the MOW version look great.

Art, the engine is a RS11 Conventional operated locomotive. It was fairly inexpensive but the detail is excellent.

The crane will be interesting to pick up a wreck with!

Tom

#14 ·
It is a nice crane. :thumbsup:

I have an older PRR boom car, no sounds. What sounds come out of that one?
I also have a PRR transfer caboose. Lights up.:)

Scale model Transport Vehicle Locomotive Track

Scale model Vehicle Motor vehicle Transport Construction equipment

#15 ·
Hmmm, I guess both of mine are called work caboose's?:dunno:
Well I use the one as a boom car. :)

#16 ·
Thanks Ed. The cars you have will work! My OCD stipulated that I find the sound car that goes with the crane...lol

I haven’t powered it up yet, so I am not sure what sounds it makes yet.

I have 2 of the MTH PRR 250 ton cranes. It seems MTH never made boom tenders for them. The one set I have supplies a flat car with wheels to place under the boom. Not a bad idea, but you need to raise the boom so it doesn’t hit the wheels when it is going along.

Tom

#20 ·
Interesting. I worked for a wreck outfit part time in the early 80’s. We used D9 “sidewinders” to pick up cars and locomotives. We had a few crane trucks too.

The big difference was we used hand signals to communicate with the crane operators. We never spoke while moving the rig. The only time you yelled was when someone was in danger of being squashed.

In the old days when railroads used their own wreckers, the wreck master used hand signals or if it was night time, the wreck master used a green lantern. The crane operator would only take directions from the wreck master and ignore everyone else unless it was an emergency...

Tom

#22 ·
Yep I remember boom up you pointed up, boom down pointed down.
Line up you pointed your finger up while twirling it, down just the opposite.
Boom left or right you pointed left or right.

It has been a long time for me, we had a RR crane 60 ton.
And a 1938 Burro on wheels.
A beast to operate as nothing worked right. :smokin:

They use the same mans voice for both cranes?

#29 ·
Lots of play value in these cranes. I have a TMCC NYC version.
The outriggers are a problem in that they pop out on their own. I even replaced a few trying to fix it but new ones do the same thing. Mine will stay parked on a siding most of the time.

Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.