BASIC STUFF, SERVICING CARS - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Beginner Q & A
Forgotten your password?

Beginner Q & A If you're new to model trains, stop in here!

Old 02-24-2017, 05:14 PM   #1
time warp
Station Master

Scales Modeled: Old School HO and British OO, COO of the Basement Central RR and the Moose Jaws RR.
Post BASIC STUFF, SERVICING CARS

If you are fighting them, it's time to fix them. Your train cars are supposed to do some very simple things, namely stay on the track and stay coupled while following the locomotive. Anything short of that is unacceptable. Here are a few tips on "shopping" cars.

I just got this reefer, and the first thing I did was to check the wheels. As you can see, they were gauged too close together. This car would have caused a lot of problems had I tried to run it this way. All the other wheels were off as well.

0224171544.jpg

I also discovered the coupler centering springs were gone from both couplers
0224171549.jpg

I replaced the missing springs and applied a little graphite. I use x2f couplers but it doesn't matter, all couplers must move freely. That's true of any scale.
0224171552.jpg
The wheels are corrected and reinstalled. I also checked to make sure the trucks swiveled freely. Much better!
0224171556.jpg
I put the car on my test track to check coupler height. Even though my coupler gauge has a Kadee on it, The height spec is still the same. Again this is important for any coupler in any scale. Also pay attention to the trip pin height using the gauge.
0224171601.jpg

This is the proper alignment of a Kadee coupler. The knuckles line up and the trip pin is just above the lower clearance surface.
0224172223.jpg

The last item is to make sure the car has a brake wheel, then put it in a train for a test run. We're good to go now, ready for revenue service!
0224171609.jpg

Last edited by time warp; 02-24-2017 at 11:16 PM..
time warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
time warp
Station Master

Scales Modeled: Old School HO and British OO, COO of the Basement Central RR and the Moose Jaws RR.
Another method for checking coupler height, the coupler face must be within the space of the gauge hole. This will agree with the Kadee gauge as well. Thank you NMRA.

0224172225a.jpg

Two different examples of truck and coupler arrangements. The top car is a Gould hopper with metal axles and body mounted couplers(not yet installed), and a Tyco car with truck mounted or "Talgo" type coupler mounting and molded plastic wheel/ axle style. Check carefully with your gauge, as the plastic wheel/ metal axle setup must be in gauge with the wheels centered side to side. The molded plastic type do get out of gauge from warpage and will cause huge problems. Never assume they are OK.
0224172230.jpg

A Roundhouse car with screw mount trucks and metal axles with body mounted couplers. All the same rules apply

0224172240a.jpg

The Roundhouse car again. Note that the uncoupling pin is maintained at the proper height. It should not be dragging on the re railer or catching on switch track rails. Insuring these things are correct will eliminate many problems.

0224172241.jpg

Last edited by time warp; 02-24-2017 at 11:40 PM..
Old 02-25-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
MtRR75
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
Good points, Time Warp.

I would add three things:

(1) Check the truck wobble -- both side-to-side and front-to-back. They should wobble from slightly too high to slightly too low in in all directions. If they don't wobble enough, the screw (or other attachment) needs to be loosened a little. If they are way too high in one direction (say, left), but not high enough in the other direction (right), then either the truck is mounted crooked on the bolster, or the bolster itself is not level, and needs to be gently filed level.

(2) Get a truck tuner and use it on plastic trucks (not for metal) to clean out gunk and carve the socket for the wheel set to its perfect shape. This will make reduce the rolling resistance of the car.

(3) Clean the wheels.

P.S. Before well-meaning members start suggesting replacing couplers and wheels, notice that this thread is about routine maintenance, NOT upgrading.
MtRR75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
Fire21
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N-Scale.
Wow, great info, especially with the photos. I've read lots of info here about the subjects that time warp covered, but the photos help so much. Thanks to both of you!!
Fire21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:29 PM   #5
time warp
Station Master

Thanks to both of you.
Fire21, Sometimes it just says more if a person can see it, and most car issues are strictly maintenance related(or neglect).
A little attention here and there goes a long way.

MT, I haven't used a truck tuner, but I can see the benefit. And yes, upgrades are a separate issue here. You have to start with the basics, It will not work any other way.

Another random example of what had to be someone else's misery:
Fresh off of ebay, wheels again all grossly out of gauge, plus each set is skewed to opposite sides of the truck. The offset of the wheels is obvious.
It would be hard to imagine this car being anything other than a constant derailment.

0225171326.jpg

My personal favorite, I keep this one around.
Mismatched wheelsets, the metal axle being too wide forcing the sideframes apart, the other wheelset is caked with dirt and you can see the missing chunk of crud on the wheel tread. The wheels on the left having deep flanges, the ones on the right are RP25 contour. And the show stopper is the glued together couplers. Really good glue because that slick plastic never takes adhesive well. Why won't this work?
0225171802.jpg
Old 02-26-2017, 01:00 AM   #6
time warp
Station Master

So taking my own advice, I brought a box full of freight cars up from the basement to my work table. No real surprises, save for 1 missing boxcar door, 1 coupler with a dead centering spring, and a piece of flash on the DT&I all door that was attached to the wheel flange. About half the size of a pencil eraser, it had been there since new and hadn't caused any problems except the car always had a little wobble to it. It was across the tread of the wheel and was very thin. How I missed it all these months I'll never know.
That's 12 good to go out of 14, took about 15 or 20 minutes.
Here's the pass / fail requirements:
Gauge and inspect wheels
Coupler height and centering
Truck fit
Must have a brake wheel (if equipped)
All stirrup steps present.

It will take me a few days to get through them all, but I'll have better performing, more reliable rolling stock. And that means less stress and more fun!
Old 02-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #7
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Good guide! I have also picked up a couple of cars off of eBay that were advertised as problem children, and i was able to get them running well in under ten munutes, using what you describe above.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:16 PM   #8
Shadow001
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: N
Great information, I just bought a bunch of used equipment and this will be very helpful.
Shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:24 PM   #9
time warp
Station Master

I would like to see more N scalers involved in this topic so I'm glad you posted. I don't have any N equipment to use for comparative photos, but maybe some of you guys can help out.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
JNXT 7707
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by time warp View Post
Here's the pass / fail requirements:
Gauge and inspect wheels
Coupler height and centering
Truck fit
Must have a brake wheel (if equipped)
All stirrup steps present.

It will take me a few days to get through them all, but I'll have better performing, more reliable rolling stock. And that means less stress and more fun!
TW, I agree with MtRR75 on the truck tuner being a regular maintenance tool on shopping used rolling stock. Not always necessary but I put it on par with a coupler height gauge.

The only thing I can add from my own procedures is weighing the car. I have noticed a lot of older rolling stock is severely underweighted, and in some cases, like the AHM/IHC passenger cars, not weighted at all. NMRA has a good guide for this.