Welcome to 2020 (Rant) - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > Union Station
Forgotten your password?

Union Station Off topic discussions - take a load off after a busy day of model railroading.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:01 AM   #1
BobS
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O Gauge, and now N Scale (enjoying the lack of noise and ease of operation)
Welcome to 2020 (Rant)

Welcome to 2020. First, at precisely midnight, January 1, 2020, our local channel 11, WPXI was discontinued by Verizon over a demand for an outrageous increase in cost to offer an otherwise free station (over the airwaves) to our cable provider. Also, at the same exact time, we lost our ability to view one of our favorite shows, Doctor Who on Amazon, Hulu or Netflix. It seems that HBO gobbled up the series and now it can only be viewed by paying for each episode or paying another fee to HBO for the privilege of watching old shows that were previously free. So, in order to be able to view the shows I want, (Dr. Who), I bought the entire series from 2005 until 2019 at eBay for half the cost of paying for each episode individually.

Tomorrow, our sons will lose another local channel because of the money grubbing local channel operators and stockholders. i just don't understand why, every year, they choose to go through this same song and dance. I can get the channels for free, so why do they charge the cable providers extravagant fees to supply the same things that they broadcast for free?

Every day of life is a test. If you pass the test, you get one more day.
BobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2020, 06:55 AM   #2
seayakbill
Yard Master

The only way to beat these very greedy cable companies is to cancel them but then we lose a lot of the exclusive shows that we enjoy. It is a no win situation.

Bill
seayakbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:03 AM   #3
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Bob, I can not answer your questions. I can say the same thing is going on in St. Louis.
My cable company no problems. Sat. TV, you have to pay separate fee to watch the
St. Louis Cardinal baseball games. It is a local thing. I thought the same as you do. But
since they are on my cable I do not worry about it. If had to pay another fee I would not
be happy. I do think my cable bill is too high.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2020, 07:08 AM   #4
Riggzie
Conductor

Scales Modeled: H/O - O
I feel your pain. I got tired of the high prices on Comcast (Xfinity). I was locked in a contract, which was a good thing... $167 for 250mb internet (get 350+mb down) and all channels. Seems great. Enjoyed it for a year and a half. I looked at what my bill was going to become and wow... $285/m then all the hidden fees.

The biggest problem I have is that they boast 700 channels!!!! woot, oh wow, greatness... only in America!!!!!!! ; however, I don't need the 30 language (latino, Italian, Mongolian, etc) channels.

2 of my neighbors went to Sony PlayStation Vue (most think you need a PlayStation...ughhhh)… and they love it.

so just switching to AT&T for cell phones, and being an unlimited customer, we got DirecTV Now (different than DirectTV which has a dish on your roof) for $15 cheaper....
Looking into it, it gave us 95% of the channels we had BUT for $20/m. Of course you need to add the price of ala cart internet to which they up, but I got a promotion and got it for $50/m.

Lowe and behold... 95% of what I used to have for $70/m!!!!

Since I was not in a contract with Comcast, I dropped out and went with the DirecTV Now. I am a computer guy so streaming isn't a challenge but my wife adapted well. We had an Apple 4k TV box (just a streaming box) in the living room and a Roku Ultra in the bedroom. We only get 2 streams on this account.

guy at worked tried it out and loves it and doesn't get the discount. He payed $45/m for DTVN.
so I did this for a year and right before the 1 year anniversary, my co worker tells me... did you see the email? I said no... so he forwards it to me. They now have an android streaming beta box. I filled out to beta test it and in 2 weeks it was at my house. Ok another streaming device, ok cool.

one month later, they rebrand it AT&T Live TV (not DirectTV Now Anymore), the android box updated and so life continues. 2 weeks go by and the guy at work says, did you get the new email? I am like... umm nope... sup... So he forwards it to me.

Now we had the smallest package (yeah im bragging )
called "Live a Little" and like I said, it had a ton of channels and they had other packages and they cost more. It seems that due to these prices your talking about, they (AT&T) had to figure out how to get things within prices as they are not "Making Money" or as I like to say... not making ENOUGH money!!!!!

so they retired every package but were grandfathered in. Took the live a little package and it now is a higher level package that costs more. The reason for this was simple... lets say Discovery, Comedy central and more are owned by Time Warner (I didn't double check so don't quote me)… well AT&T had to say they have 5 million customers and owe $3/customer to Time Warner. Now they can say, we have 5 million customers but only 2 million subscribe to the package that Time Warner channels are in so guess what... they can now make more money and force people that want certain channels into a higher package to pay for it.

Remember that $20 I was boasting about... Ok so add 7% sales tax so $21.40, but AT&T now introduced DVR (measly 20h in my package) and added $5. it has been BETA for OVER A YEAR!!!! that is not beta... sheeze… ok fine. $27ish now a month. Once they cancelled and revamped all packages, I was informed that I am grandfathered in but being charged $10 more a month. Now the guy I work with, who doesn't get the discounts is up to $63/m !!!! I told him to switch cuz the neighbors love Sony PlayStation Vue as the DVR is better, price, etc...

this is all getting out of control. Really is. I am tired of all this crap. Most of what we have is on the local channels to which I can get over the air (ABC only when the leaves are off the trees LOL), Netflix and now Disney+ that the wife had to have.

I will be looking to switch soon, once my cell phone is up as I am in a contract.

long story short, I did the BOGO on cell phones. Pay monthly for mine and wifes and got 2 free for the kids. My oldest moved out and I paid my phone off. They said I broke contract, so I had to pay the balance of his. Great.. $600 but bill should go down... I just looked, showing a guy at work my bill cuz he just went to AT&T and guess what... THEY ARE STILL CHARGING ME FOR MY PHONE!!!! ill be calling them after this message....

now if you pay for a house phone..shame on you.. If you pay for a triple pay and not in a promotion... shame on you...

few money saving tips...
1. if you need home phone - go Magic Jack. I did this and haven't had a phone bill in 4 years (paid for 5y for $99!!!!!)
2. if you have Netflix, check Ebay and take a chance. I did... I bought a $100 Netflix card for $48!!!! got code and it worked. Went and bought another... got $200 Netflix for $96!!!!!

maybe ill rant about the phone part next... lol

off to call AT&T
Riggzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:09 AM   #5
Spence
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: O
We went thru this last year here in SE Ct. with Direct TV. I was without an ABC station for almost 2 months.
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:10 AM   #6
Riggzie
Conductor

oh.. side note.. I was told if you have Time Warner as a cable provider, they are starting to do ALA Cart channels. That is the way to go... Id gladly pay $3/channel and choose what I want. Then you can also say.. oh Game of Thrones is coming back on, sign back up for HBO for the next few months, then cancel again....

wish more would do this
Old 01-03-2020, 07:11 AM   #7
MichaelE
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by seayakbill View Post
The only way to beat these very greedy cable companies is to cancel them but then we lose a lot of the exclusive shows that we enjoy. It is a no win situation.

Bill
The only ones that win are the cable and satellite companies.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:12 AM   #8
Riggzie
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
We went thru this last year here in SE Ct. with Direct TV. I was without an ABC station for almost 2 months.
us too!!!!!!

did you see that Direct TV, used us DirectTV Now beta users for the beta box and will no longer require a dish on your roof if you don't need it? they will give new customers the beta box. Maybe people could call and swap the dish out....but the box is buggy... so don't do it yet as they will charge you a fee for the box.

love how companies are being greedier and greedier... frustrating..

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-...rectv-service/
Old 01-03-2020, 07:13 AM   #9
Riggzie
Conductor

can be deleted...
Old 01-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #10
Lehigh74
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O
On my last bill, Comcast notified me that my promotional offer was ending 1/1/20 so my bill would go up by $30/month. When you go on-line, they only tell you about ways to add more to your bill. I called and got a new promotional offer that is less than my previous bill, but there is a penalty if I switch to Verizon or otherwise cancel Comcast.

My biggest gripe is that I have to pay a sports fee every month when the only sport I care about is F1.