We took the tree down yesterday... - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:33 AM   #1
Jeff T
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: Nothing modeled, O gauge trains though
We took the tree down yesterday...

And yes that means the trains were packed away as well... Always a sad day for me and one of the reasons I joined a Club last year. It's nice to run trains and not be sitting on the floor!!

I think I had 6 or 7 different engines run at different times over the last month so almost everything I own got exercised! The engine I enjoyed the most was from a Lionel RTR set from 2002. One I found on Craigslist. Seller had the set box, track, transformer and engine and wanted $50, we settled on $30. Even better, the engine is a dead match for the plastic bodied engine that I got in my first set back in 61".

Little die cast steamer with smoke, that actually works well, made me smile more than the expensive priced toys!!

After 3 weeks off, work starts today, headed to DC and then our Club Open House is Saturday!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 07:35 AM   #2
flyernut
Yard Master

Never put one up this year, didn't feel like Christmas..First time in 69 years I didn't have a tree up.
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:58 AM   #3
Riggzie
Conductor

Scales Modeled: H/O - O
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyernut View Post
Never put one up this year, didn't feel like Christmas..First time in 69 years I didn't have a tree up.

for me was my first year. I started out with a lionel trolley i was given to sell or keep... used it and liked it to which a friend gave me a ton of old O gauge so ive been going through it and getting things cleaned/working as they have sat since 1985...

and got to run some trains...

im gonna definitely have way more up next year.
Riggzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #4
Spence
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: O
Jeff T: back to reality.
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
Qicvick
Hobo

Put all mine up too, always wonder if it’ll be last time, wish I had room to leave a layout up
Qicvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #6
seayakbill
Yard Master

Yep, tree is packed away, Plastic, did not need watering. Wife says she wants for next year the real deal tree. Been about 20 years since we had a fresh cut tree. I guess what goes around comes around, real deal next year.

Bill
seayakbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:10 AM   #7
Volphin
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O and G
Our tree deconstruction begins tonight. Funny thing is, I'm positive this has been the BEST live tree we have ever put up. It still hasn't lost a lot of its needles and is still taking water. Get this: It was a Home Depot tree. I've NEVER bought a tree from a big box store until this year. I always use the local tree lots. This year the trees on the lots were scrawny and thin. Not my style. Went to Depot with the fam and found this one in 10 minutes. They must have brought some in from a nursery far away.
You never know when the end of the line will appear before you, so linger at each station just a little longer with your friends, or make a new one. It will enrich both journeys and keep you on track.

TCA# 15-70824
Volphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:12 AM   #8
Riggzie
Conductor

Scales Modeled: H/O - O
Quote:
Originally Posted by seayakbill View Post
Yep, tree is packed away, Plastic, did not need watering. Wife says she wants for next year the real deal tree. Been about 20 years since we had a fresh cut tree. I guess what goes around comes around, real deal next year.

Bill
we have never not had a real tree... 28 years now... and im tired of the mess, water, sometimes tree dies before xmas and have to take it apart, return and then redecorate a new one...

frustrating..

my current basement is laid out and now looking at trains, I can find a small corner but we are looking at another house. 3rd time.. sunday…
and im going there to look at the basement. bringing tape measure and going to see where to do a BIG L for O and straight for HO... so ill have a possible solution to do a layout.

my 13y old has been showing interest with me playing with these that I have got from a friend so I want to engage him with me on this and it be an US thing... will include the wife too...

while your tree is away and you say all is away...

we do dept56 houses for Xmas and Halloween... now im going to be doing trains/trolleys for those holidays and want to find a way to do others as well.. easter and valentines day...

so I can have trains all year long!
Riggzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:28 PM   #9
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff T View Post
And yes that means the trains were packed away as well...
Packed away? Does that mean we won't see you until next December?
Old 01-07-2020, 02:47 PM   #10
Jeff T
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: Nothing modeled, O gauge trains though
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn View Post
Packed away? Does that mean we won't see you until next December?
Hence the reason I finally joined a club!!