How do you know when - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > Union Station
Forgotten your password?

Union Station Off topic discussions - take a load off after a busy day of model railroading.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #11
Robes
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: Mostly HO,... and a bunch of XMAS "O" and 027
Waste not,...want not....

Life is like a horse. If it throws you, you either get back on and ride the hell out of it or stand behind it and shovel.
Robes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #12
raleets
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale View Post
Not sure which commercial your refering to. I was in story telling mode this morning so I made that all up. The names were changed to protect the unwary.
I can't recall the sponsor, but the story line of the commercial is very similar. One event leads to another, and another, and another (all bad), then WHAMO!, all is lost.
raleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #13
norgale
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: ho
Yup! "For want of a shoe a horse was lost" ect. Pete
norgale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2014, 04:38 PM   #14
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree, & 1 S locomotive
Yes for a fix like that you would want to use epoxy instead.

Central Railroad of New Jersey
Big Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:52 AM   #15
Magic
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO 1950s Southern Pacific in So. California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale View Post
One day you will be walking along admiring the new loco your carrying and thinking about how nice it will look on your layout. Suddenly the tape on your shoe will slip and then come loose. The tape will slide under your shoe with the next step and pull the sole down under along with it. The sole will catch on the walkway,the tape will stick and stop your foot,you will start to fall and hold the new loco up at the same time. But you will be going down and the loco will be going up so at one point or other the loco will be flying through the air at the same time your flying through the air in the opposite direction. Just when you hit the pavement you'll hear a shattering of plastic and metal as the loco hits a granite street marker and all the parts hit the ground about the same time you do. Then all the lights go out and the next thing you know your in the back of an ambulance,the paramedic is holding your head because you may have a fractured vertebrae in your neck and the doctor and the x-ray techs are waiting for you at the emergency room.
After five days in the hospital they finally let you loose and you go back to find your loco which is long gone. Not even a little piece left for you to remember it by. So lets see what that adds up to:
One locomotive----------------$150
Ambulance ride------------------800
x-rays-------------------------1200
Five days in the hospital-------50000
lost work ----------------------1000----------Total $53150.00 plus the doctors bill.
new pair of shoes-----------------12.95

Obamacare says that the "train disease" isn't covered and your deductible is $50,000 anyway so they pay nothing.
Have a nice day. Pete
Well Pete the tape did come loose but luckily I was only caring my dinner.

Dinner out.................35.00 had a couple of drinks
Carpet cleaning.........75.00
DUI ticket.............1,500.00
Retired........................0.00
Total.....................1610.00
The way I figure it I', $51,540.00 Ahead.

@ Big ED Actually the tape was to hold things in place while the Dap Silicone Marine sealant cured.
My favorite glue, haven't found much that it won't stick to.

Magic

Last edited by Magic; 03-20-2014 at 02:05 AM..
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #16
FRED On Board
Brakeman

Re: Shoe repairs

Quite some time ago, one shoe of pair of black work shoes with synthetic material tops and rubber soles separated forward of the heal not long after their purchase...Inexpensive, yes, but coming apart within the first 3 weeks or so, not acceptable...No longer any receipt for making a complaint and possible return, I then used a bead of PL urethane sealant around the top edge of the separated shoe bottom and with some cardboard and a couple of wooden blocks, clamped the two parts together in a reasonable alignment for overnight...That shoe, looking pretty ugly with the havy tan sealant, stayed together for several more weeks and no one said much of anything as they were worn mostly within my woodworking and furniture repair workshop that only occasionally sees "public" visitors.

Bruce /FRED On Board
ATSF, BN, SP, UP
FRED On Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #17
Gansett
Station Master

I had a pair of work boots that the sole came loose from the top, one of those could pick up a dime without bending over deals. But they were so comfortable.
Back then if you knew someone, and everyone did, who worked at EB, Electric Boat, they had EB Green.
EB Green makes Duct tape look like the flour and water paste you used in kindergarten. I am not kidding.
Two wraps around and I was good for a week
Gansett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:11 PM   #18
raleets
Station Master

If you haven't yet tried black Gorilla Tape I highly recommend it. It's ungodly sticky and once in place it won't budge. Pretty sure it could couple locomotives.
raleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #19
norgale
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: ho
Geeze! I get upset when shoes don't last at least five years. Pete
norgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #20
Gansett
Station Master

Pete, at my age I don't buy green banana's! KWIM?
Gansett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
old stinky shoe repair