Introduce yourself here! - Page 754 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > New Member Introduction
Forgotten your password?

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Come in here and introduce yourself!

Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM   #7531
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Selling trains, & building a layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by lccobb41 View Post
I recently inherited from a deceased Brother-in-Law a HO collection of mostly NEW in BOX trains. No track, Just about 35 diesel locomotives as well as some 75-80 cars. I have never been into trains in all my 78 years of lif.

I do have a great grandson that I have purchased and built a large Thomas the Train with 40-50 engines as well as that many cars, tenders,etc. Not sure he will have any interest in this collection but I would think I need to read and sell some of these pieces and acquire some power modules, tracks, etc. and see if he has any interest.

How should I go about marketing a portion and acquiring a decent layout to get him started. He is 6 1/2 years old and does spend at least one night at our house and usually 2 nights. Any suggestions would be appreciated.I

am in Tulsa, OK and a retired V.P. of an Oil & Gas Company.
Iccobb41;

Selling "used" trains (meaning already bought, even if never removed from the box) can be very disappointing. You are not likely to recover their initial cost. You can check on E-bay under "model trains" to see what they are selling for.

As far as building a model railroad for your great grandson, first, of course, find out if he is interested. If he is, then the attached files should help you in planning and building a layout. I also recommend the book "Getting Started in Model Railroading" by Jeff Wilson. You can order a copy from https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/products/books Or through your local train store.

I also suggest you check out our "Beginner's Q & A" section, here on the forum. It has lots of good info for new modelers.

Good luck & have fun;

Traction Fan

WHERE DO I START 3.pdf

1 How to build a better first layout.pdf

2 How to build a better first layout.pdf

3 & 4 How to build a better first layout.pdf

5 How to build a better first layout.pdf

6 How to build a better first layout.pdf

All AboutTurnouts rev 4.pdf

MODEL RAILROADING ON A BUDGET.pdf

Model Railroad Terminology 2.2.pdf
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM   #7532
I love Trains
Hobo

Hi everyone! I am a huge fan of Life-Like products, I can’t tell you my name, but please call me Stars, I’be loves model trains since I was a small child, and I’ve never stopped loving them since, I look forward to meeting new people who love model trains like me. I think this will be a great experience for me, and hopefully the people I meet here!
I love Trains is offline   Reply With Quote