I finally gave up on the 1946 reverse unit and went with new technology. I installed Dallee #400 "E" unit onto the motor and crane drive of the electromagnetic crane. The customer support at Dallee Electronics said it should work just fine following the direction.
Red and brown to the two brush tubes
Orange and yellow to the two field wires.
Blue and black to (input power) transformer.
I gave it a bench test before installing it in the crane body. Every thing worked out just as they said it would. Even Better!
I went ahead install the drive and motor back into the crane body as before. I mounted the Dallee "E" unit to the side on the frame, so it would not interfere with the electromagnet wire coming through the grommet in front where the old reverse unit was mounted. When this is all completed it will give this old crane a newer up-dated look.
This is the last picture of the underside and the completed restoration of the 583 electromagnetic crane
after I did the the final bench testing. I am going to run the crane off a single AF transformer so I can control the speed of the boom swing and the time I energize the magnet using a two button system.