Input sought on new trolley layout - Page 4 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #31
kursplat
Conductor

Scales Modeled: N
looks like this will be a fun layout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway Fugitive View Post
If I do my homework I can figure how to make the trolleys stop at certain points. If I were to run 3 different tracks which would be the best way to run them? 3 different transformers?
some one else will probaly know where, but i remember seeing a trolly set up (on here?) that used an auto reverser, as it was a small scene in the over all layout. maybe you could set up one of the trolly lines like that while your manually running the others.

Quote:
...My landlord has offered to lend me her circular saw but I have never used one...
any woman that has her own circular saw is alright
kursplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 03:31 AM   #32
Massey
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: New to N.
I did a Trolly on one of my full room layouts. It had 2 stops and it was totally automated. Here are a few pics.

I used an autoreverser with photosensors. This worked great in the daylight but I could not run the trolly in the dark. If I had used infrareds I could have ran the trolly any time.

Massey
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Owner of the South Massey Railway.
Massey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:35 AM   #33
trainguru
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO, OO, and S & O at Christmas :p
Have you considered your overhead system. I just got a vintage Pennsylvania Scale Models overhead wiring system for my pike. and you really can electrify your road like the real thing. My Bowser is wired up to use overhead wiring, and I actualy fancy that a whole lot better than standard feeds for HO!!! Ofcource, wire for show is okay too, but how fun would it be to run your trolley's like real ones???
trainguru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2011, 02:34 AM   #34
Subway Fugitive
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO and N
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguru View Post
Have you considered your overhead system. I just got a vintage Pennsylvania Scale Models overhead wiring system for my pike. and you really can electrify your road like the real thing. My Bowser is wired up to use overhead wiring, and I actualy fancy that a whole lot better than standard feeds for HO!!! Ofcource, wire for show is okay too, but how fun would it be to run your trolley's like real ones???
How much experience should one have in the hobby before tackling a project such as this?
Subway Fugitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:51 AM   #35
T-Man
Yard Master & Research

Scales Modeled: Lionel, S, HO
I use a timer for my reverse. I was never excited about photo sensors. Recently another method of detection has been used. I just haven't fully researched it yet. The optoisolator occupancy detector. It senses curent flow in the track section.

Here is a link if you are interested.

How-To Column and Signature links Post number 4.

Links under O Scale Information

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkM...BLo3pJN1FGE1Gg
T-Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #36
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
Hmm T-Man, bad link. You somehow linked a reply.
gunrunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:30 AM   #37
alocsin
Gang Labourer

My Bachmann Spectrum DCC Birney does 4-inch radius quite nicely. I suspect it will do 3-inch curves, but can't get the flextrack to bend that low.

Track Plans: HO, N, O, Z, G, S, Micros
alocsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #38
Nikola
Dispatcher

Old thread; any updates?

I've had HO layouts on as small as 18" x 60". With three loops inside. Trolley and 0-4-0 switcher action. Always interested in seeing tight-radius layouts.
Nikola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:14 PM   #39
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Also available

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I realize that the design will need some tweaking. I am not expert enough to get Xtrkcad to do exactly what I want. At your suggestion I have downloaded Anyrail and will spend some time getting to know how it works.

I am thinking that I would be better served with an N scale layout if I just have 3.5' by 5.5' to work with but I already bought a couple of HO scale trolleys and I really love some of the buildings available in HO scale.

Thanks for your input.
Subway Fugitive (aka Doug Berman?)

The same trolleys and many of the same buildings, are available in N-scale too. I like your idea of long narrow modules. That should give the trolleys a longer run, and the layout a more realistic look, also better access. If you plan on building overhead for your trolleys, I bought some phosphor bronze .013" "Artistic wire" on Amazon. It makes very nice N-scale catenary for my Milwaukee Road layout.

regards;

Traction Fan
Old 01-14-2017, 04:03 AM   #40
Cycleops
Station Master

Sorry TF, looks like you may never get a reply to that. The last time Subway Fugitive was on was three years ago.
Cycleops is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ho scale , layout , plans , traction , trolley