Does anybody still run HO trains the old-fashioned way? - Page 4 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > General Model Train Discussion
Forgotten your password?

General Model Train Discussion Mostly anything goes, especially train related!

Old 11-14-2019, 07:30 PM   #31
HO_Guy
Hobo

Hi: LostinHoboken - Sounds like you have been around HO trains for awhile. I just posted a question about some Items I'm trying to sell on eBay. The link is in the Market Place, for sale eBay.I would appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks, Bill
HO_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 08:19 PM   #32
Toy train hobby
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: Z (Noch Briefcase), S, O (3-rail), G (ceiling layout) and 1" (outdoor).
I plan to; for I've acquired an older Marklin set, but will need a transformer for the US market.

DSC02400.JPG
Old 11-14-2019, 11:29 PM   #33
Atlanta
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy train hobby View Post
I plan to; for I've acquired an older Marklin set, but will need a transformer for the US market.

Attachment 514642
The old blue Märklin Transformers using 220 V ~ AC +/- 5 % as input power.

In Germany the public power changed alleeady to 230 V ~ AC +/- 10 % as input power.

The old blue transformers may be used on own risk in germany.

If your house would burn down by identified old electric transformer than maybe your fire insurance will not pay for it.

Look onto the transformer, there are symbols of the output power.
It should be 0 Volts up to 18 Volts - AC power the drirectiin switching impulse has got around 22 Volts up to 24 Volts ~ AC power.
For house electic wiring or turnout switching are used 16 Volts ~ AC power in general.

Look maybe for a Lionel Transformer of 0 Scale, I am not sure but used not Lionael in 0 Gauge AC Power to the tracks, too?
Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2019, 12:03 AM   #34
Toy train hobby
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: Z (Noch Briefcase), S, O (3-rail), G (ceiling layout) and 1" (outdoor).
Thanks; I do intend to replace the transformer...

www.reynaulds.com/products/Marklin/6646.aspx
Old 11-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #35
rjent
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHoboken View Post
Last night I was running my nice little Erie freight train (FA-1 with seven tank cars and a caboose) around my 4x8 oval of track, and it was such a nostalgic experience for me, just like when I did the same thing as a teen in the 60s.

It got me to wondering - does anybody still run their HO trains the old-school way, that is with just a power pack, or does everyone in the hobby today have that complicated DCC stuff?

I figured other folks with tiny layouts like mine might still be running “old-school”? Anyways, it still gives me the thrill.

LIH
DC all the way. Just can't buy into the DCC concept. I run a 4x8 layout two track just to have something to run. I am building a large layout and have spent 2 or 3 years designing and deciding (much harder that I thought LOL) and it will be DC as well. I have run some friends DCC stuff and it is interestig, but just not what I want.

It's all fun!
rjent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #36
dalehenigman
Hobo

I still run DC. I don't have a layout of my own but instead use a club layout. It's basically set up so one can plug in DC or DCC. I'm not into operation that much to spend the money for DCC stuff. I can run one train just fine. One neat thing is I can run a hundred car train and switch the back end of it in and out of the yard. I've got the engines and the cars tuned up. I run Athearn blue box and Scaletrains engines comfortably together. I can DPU also. Just gotta match the engines that work together well. For headlights I just put a bridge rectifier in-line between the pickup and the motor. This loses 1-1/2 volt. I rob that 1-1/2 to run 1.5v 30ma 1.4mm o.d clear lamps. Lamp part no. is 18C0310.
dalehenigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:39 AM   #37
grm1227
Hobo

comlpex oval

I have a basement 33 ft by 40 ft, with 54 in radius on the tight curves and my passenger trains look good. It is an oval wrapped around the out side, the an S shape in the center.
grm1227 is offline   Reply With Quote