Miller Engineering city viaduct curve help - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
TravisTheLionHeart
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO
Miller Engineering city viaduct curve help

Hi all, I'm a relatively young HO railroader and brand new to this forum. I was just wondering if anyone around here has ever tried to make a curve on one of Miller Engineering’s double track city viaduct kits. I have a double track with an 18"R outside and 15"R inside curve; I have the challenge of putting this curve on the viaduct. M E's directions are a little confusing when it comes to curves so I just wanted to see if any of you fine people had any experience with these kits before I attempt to decode it myself. any help I get would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers!
TravisTheLionHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
norgale
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: ho
I'm not familiar with this kit at all so could you post some pictures of it? Pete
I checked their website and didn't find a bridge of any kind. If you have it online post a link to it so we can see what your talking about. Is this kit all brass?

Last edited by norgale; 04-09-2013 at 09:58 PM..
norgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
TravisTheLionHeart
Hobo

haha well actually it seems I confused “miller engineering” with “micro engineering” as I have just purchased items from both companies... whoops

here is a link to micro engineering's site although it's barley even qualifies as a web site http://microengineering.com/products_br.htm

the only other scrap of information I can find on the city viaduct kit is this thread on trainboard.com which sounds similar to my own http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/...d-train-layout

However, I'm not having any trouble building the straight version of the kit; It's just the curved aspect I'm trying to understand... Sorry for the confusion!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
sstlaure
Station Master

I built the Micro Engineering 210' tall viaduct kit into a curve. Going as small as you want with your curves may be pretty tight - I believe mine was ~30" radius.

I built a small wooden template of the track arrangement as it would go across the bridge, then I made the staight sections of the viaduct, laid them on the template at angles that would keep both sections "on" the template and cut a little off of the mating ends of the inside corners of the bridge sections to get them to "round" the curve. Remember - a curved bridge is a series of straight bridges connected together to follow a smoothly curved track.

With the small radii you're looking for, I would expect you need to widen the gap between the tracks as well to avoid trains bumping each other in the curve as they pass on the bridge.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 072912 Bridge8.JPG (170.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 041512 ME 210 ft viaduct .JPG (155.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 071712 Bridge on Template2.JPG (163.1 KB, 30 views)

Check out my HO build threads: [url]14X16 Switching style https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=8241
sstlaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
TravisTheLionHeart
Hobo

Wow ok, That helps a lot! Yeah I wish the layout would allow me to use a larger radius and make it easier on myself, but I just need to make the best with what I need.

Right now I have about a 1" gap between the two tracks. Do you think that's enough space?

Tags
bridge , city , curves , viaduct