Input sought on new trolley layout - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Subway Fugitive
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO and N
Input sought on new trolley layout

I have found and started playing with Xtrkcad and came up with a track plan which I think will work out. The dimensions of the layout will be 5.5' by 3.5'. The idea was to have something that I could store under my futon frame. The plan to have a simple loop on the ledge separating my kitchen from the living area is not going to work in HO. I was hoping that someone with more knowledge and experience than myself could look at my track plans and let me know if they have any concerns and/or ideas. I plan to have 2 loops with the inner loop doing an up and over in the middle of the layout. Since I am new to Xtrkcad my plans are not as fleshed out as I would like but it has helped to organize my thoughts.

I am aware that I need to have turns with radii of 8" or greater. My Bachmann Brill has been doing fine with the 8" turns while the Bachmann PCC has not.

I plan to visit the Baltimore Society of Model Engineers open house on Sunday and perhaps walk away with knowledge that would benefit my layout.

Thanks to all
Subway Fugitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
gc53dfgc
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO, O, G, N, OO
A lot of the turn angles are not correct and in the lower left corner those curves are to close together and you will see many derailments there. Try using the free version of anyrail. It will alow 50 pieces of track which should be enough for your purposes. I find that drawing very confusing but also very colorful.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
Subway Fugitive
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc53dfgc View Post
A lot of the turn angles are not correct and in the lower left corner those curves are to close together and you will see many derailments there. Try using the free version of anyrail. It will alow 50 pieces of track which should be enough for your purposes. I find that drawing very confusing but also very colorful.
Thanks for your input. I realize that the design will need some tweaking. I am not expert enough to get Xtrkcad to do exactly what I want. At your suggestion I have downloaded Anyrail and will spend some time getting to know how it works.

I am thinking that I would be better served with an N scale layout if I just have 3.5' by 5.5' to work with but I already bought a couple of HO scale trolleys and I really love some of the buildings available in HO scale.

Thanks for your input.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
shaygetz
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: HO, HOn30, N
HO trolleys should have no problems with tight radius curves...I would experiment with them to see what is the tightest curve all of your fleet can handle, then plan all your turns based on that minimum. The thing that makes traction appealing is street trackage, so you would want to work that into any plan as well, making them more linear and grid-like over the free flowing spaghetti bowl looped in track that regular operators have to have.
shaygetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
Subway Fugitive
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaygetz View Post
HO trolleys should have no problems with tight radius curves...I would experiment with them to see what is the tightest curve all of your fleet can handle, then plan all your turns based on that minimum. The thing that makes traction appealing is street trackage, so you would want to work that into any plan as well, making them more linear and grid-like over the free flowing spaghetti bowl looped in track that regular operators have to have.
That is sorta the idea. The very front of the layout would be a gritty urban downtown scene with models provided by Downtown Deco, FOS, and the like. The small internal loop would have as its centerpiece, some sort of industry and maybe a dive bar to keep the workers happy. The outer loop will be rather simple and would have radii that the PCC trolleys can handle.

The plan is to have the inner loop leave the downtown area and moving clockwise on the lefthand side of the layout be elevated to a height of 3 inches. I plan on constructing a hill which will run along the backside of the layout so that the outer loop can go through a tunnel and the innerloop can run atop a 3" high hill.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
gc53dfgc
Station Master

I believe most trolleys can handle 15 degree radius currves and I know all trolleys can handle a 18 easily.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
Subway Fugitive
Hobo

Quote:
I believe most trolleys can handle 15 degree radius currves and I know all trolleys can handle a 18 easily.
I have a very simple loop set up on a board that is 18" wide. My Bachmann Brill handles the 8.5" radius turns easily. The Bachmann PCC derails after struggling to negotiate the turn. I am sure that if the radius was just a bit bigger the PCC would make it. Bowser suggests a minimum of 9" on their PCC trolleys.

I am still in the process of performing research so don't consider anything I say to be the final word. I am grateful to all who have helped me with my education.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:45 AM   #8
trainguru
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO, OO, and S & O at Christmas :p
I have the Bowser PCC (my only streetcar ), and it's a dream! I also suggest TYCO, and AHM's. Try to think what if your streetcar line lasted to now... Could it have gotten a Boeing-Vertrol, or is it a heritage line like the McKinney Avenue Transit Authority, or the Yakima Electric Railway Museum! Or better yet, base it loosely on the trolley museum in Washington D.C.! It's your layout, go bananas!
trainguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
gc53dfgc
Station Master

Try to stay with the newer age trolleys. All of them come DCC ready and also have a lot more detailing and are better running then those from Tyco or AHM and some of the early Bachmann trolleys.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
Subway Fugitive
Hobo

Quote:
Try to stay with the newer age trolleys. All of them come DCC ready and also have a lot more detailing and are better running then those from Tyco or AHM and some of the early Bachmann trolleys.
As I do more and more research and thinking my plans gradually change. I think I will do a module design with 2 modules roughly 5' wide and 2' deep to be connected in a L shape. One of the modules will be a gritty urban cityscape with buildings from Downtown Deco, FOS, and such and the other module will be more of an interurban layout. I will install switches on the urban layout so that I can have continuous loops when only one module is being used. I can have the urban module on top of a shelving unit with very little overhang so it will not look awkward. When the mood strikes me I can take it down and connect both of them together. My apartment is no more than 500 sq feet so space is at a premium. If the module layout is not a good idea then I can build something 5.5' by 3.5' and slide it under my bed. If I went this route I'd be more inclined to go with N scale. A HO layout in this size is ordinary but a N layout in this size is an empire!

I will be going to the train show this weekend in Chantilly, VA (http://www.greattrainexpo.com/) and I will have more opportunities to gather information in order to flesh out my ideas.

Tags
ho scale , layout , plans , traction , trolley