Input sought on new trolley layout - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
tooter
play every day

Scales Modeled: HO, Lionel post war O, 1:8 riding railroad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc53dfgc View Post
I believe most trolleys can handle 15 degree radius currves and I know all trolleys can handle a 18 easily.
My old diecast Brill trolley easily negotiates 6 inch radius curves...

The biggest curves in this layout are only 12 inch radius.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #12
gc53dfgc
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO, O, G, N, OO
A two wheeled trolley can handle very very sharp radiused curves but it is when you get into the 4 wheeled trolleys that you have a problem with radius and the norm for those is about 15. My Bachmann PCC (old version) can do the 15 but because of the wiring and truck movement can't handle to much more.

And hows that layout coming? Looks like just plain wood still.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #13
Subway Fugitive
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO and N
Tonight the landlord offered me a piece of plywood measuring 2' by 8'. I plan to cut it down to 2' to 5'. That should give me enough room to make 2 city blocks and have 2 loops around the block with one trolley going clockwise and the other going counter clockwise.

If you look at the European layout at http://carendt.com/scrapbook/page54a/index.html
that is sort of what I am thinking about.

On Tuesday I have a job interview. If I get the position I'll actually be able to afford to do all this!
Subway Fugitive is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #14
gc53dfgc
Station Master

Why not just make the 2x8? Is their just not enough space for three more feet?

Last edited by gc53dfgc; 08-22-2011 at 11:24 PM..
gc53dfgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 PM   #15
Massey
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: New to N.
I have one of the cheap Bachmann trollys that runs ok but not great and it will take 15" curves great with no issues. I have not tried it on anything smaller.

As for XtrkCAD I will redraw your track plan making everything fit like it should. Just to let you know you dont have to have it perfect since the track plan is just a guide and not the actual laying of the track.

I will post it here as a file and as a picture prolly later tonight early tomorrow.

Massey
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Owner of the South Massey Railway.
Massey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #16
Massey
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: New to N.
OK finished but I cant upload the files at work. I used a min radius of 12", I used the same basic layout you did but I didnt add any elevations or crossing tracks since I dont know what you are planning on doing in those departments. I will post the file if I can if not send me an E-mail at [email protected] and I will send it to you. I hope this helps you with your layout.

Massey
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Owner of the South Massey Railway.
Massey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:21 AM   #17
Subway Fugitive
Hobo

You guys are awesome. Thank you so much for your help. gc53dfgc - I do have a book case that is 7' long and 15" deep. It is about 6' tall. I could place the whole 8' x 2' layout on top and have 9" of overhang. I don't know how that will look and I don't know why I would care as I rarely have people over. When your apartment is 500 sq feet is more for living in and less for entertaining in The plan was to have it sit on top of another shelving unit that is 4' wide by 2'. I was thinking of placing it on top with 6" overhang on either side.

Maybe someone needs to start a forum for apartment dwelling modellers to share our secrets.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #18
Subway Fugitive
Hobo

Here is the 4'x2' shelf
DSC_6420
<p>
And here is the 15" by 7' shelf
DSC_6422 by Mike Ratel, on Flickr

Last edited by Subway Fugitive; 08-23-2011 at 12:50 AM..
Old 08-23-2011, 01:04 AM   #19
Subway Fugitive
Hobo

Actually, HO isn't going to work on top of the 7' wide bookcase as there is a part of the ceiling which is just 6" from the top of the bookcase. That space would be much better with N or Z scale.

My options appear to be 5' x 2' on top of metal shelving unit (yes, those are Cisco routers...) which I could always add a module and join the two where the city meets the country. I have seen videos of the East Penn Traction Club doing this and I think it looks ok.

Or stick to my original plan of 3.5' by 5.5' and slip it under the bed when I am not using it.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:36 AM   #20
gc53dfgc
Station Master

The 7foot bookcase should be fine, Just use that lower part you can just put street and trolley track on, A standard HO engine is only like 2-4 inchs tall so you are fine in terms of hieght with jsut them but I am thinking your real problem is how far above you it will be so seeing any real detail won't be possible.

Tags
ho scale , layout , plans , traction , trolley