Input sought on new trolley layout - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:01 AM   #21
Subway Fugitive
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO and N
Yeah, if I was just going with small buildings 6" might not be so bad. I am also keeping in mind that plywood and homasote or foam will eat into the 6". I also wanted to have a little bit of an elevation in some area of the layout. It would be nice to have something that is in view all the time but that might be better done with N scale.

After doing some measuring I now know that I can go 4' by 5'10" which gives me a scooch more room. I am really inspired by what this person did with 4' x 6.5'. Most people would have settled for a simple loop but this person has a lot going on in that small space. Here is a link to his video http://youtu.be/BOSgR1n4030
Subway Fugitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 02:48 AM   #22
tooter
play every day

Scales Modeled: HO, Lionel post war O, 1:8 riding railroad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc53dfgc View Post
And hows that layout coming? Looks like just plain wood still.
Hey gc,

Right now, the real world is taking precedence over the train world. So the layout has been on hold while I'm installing tile on our staircase, and building a concrete streambed to channel the runoff in the rainy season.

Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:00 AM   #23
gc53dfgc
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO, O, G, N, OO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway Fugitive View Post
Yeah, if I was just going with small buildings 6" might not be so bad. I am also keeping in mind that plywood and homasote or foam will eat into the 6". I also wanted to have a little bit of an elevation in some area of the layout. It would be nice to have something that is in view all the time but that might be better done with N scale.

After doing some measuring I now know that I can go 4' by 5'10" which gives me a scooch more room. I am really inspired by what this person did with 4' x 6.5'. Most people would have settled for a simple loop but this person has a lot going on in that small space. Here is a link to his video http://youtu.be/BOSgR1n4030
I keep forgetting how small HO really is. My 4x8 uses HO scale engines and HO scale cars but the buildings are porclain ones and everytime I place an HO scale building next to them it makes me chuckle the huge difference in size and makes me marvel at what I could put on my 4x8 if I had gone with all HO scale things but it was a beginner layout and was meant around Christmas so I can't wait to start my large garage layout that will be trully all HO scale, oooh the possibilitys.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:01 AM   #24
gc53dfgc
Station Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by choo choo View Post
Hey gc,

Right now, the real world is taking precedence over the train world. So the layout has been on hold while I'm installing tile on our staircase, and building a concrete streambed to channel the runoff in the rainy season.

Greg
Sorry to hear about that, I was really liking your small sized trains and the great idea of your layout.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #25
Subway Fugitive
Hobo

Well, I guess I narrowed it down this evening. I decided to go 4' x 5'10" so I can slip it under my bed. Playing with the layout software and watching other layouts this size does not prepare you for JUST HOW HUGE THIS THING IS! I don't know what I was thinking when I thought I would be able to get this thing in my Corolla. After tying it to my roof I was surprised and delighted when I got home and the board was still on the roof.

What I got is a sheet of 1/2 OSB which after I got home and checked some of the forums I found out that some people aren't crazy about. The only problem I have is that I should have had it cut to 3.5' as there are 6" that extend from the bottom of my futon frame. I am not sure if I want to keep that or not. When getting out of bed I doubt that I will step on it and when the futon frame is folded up like a couch I can slide the layout back so that none of it extends past the edge of the futon. My landlord has offered to lend me her circular saw but I have never used one.

I guess it's more of an aesthetic thing than a practical one.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:36 PM   #26
Subway Fugitive
Hobo

The humble beginnings of my empire

DSC_6614 by Mike Ratel, on Flickr

I will be attending the train show in Chantilly, VA this weekend and I am sure that I can pick up some more track. The Bachmann PCC which would not run on the 8 inch radius does fine with a bit more room.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:16 AM   #27
Subway Fugitive
Hobo

Anyone have any ideas to modify my original plan?
Thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #28
gc53dfgc
Station Master

I think making it have city blocks would be neat so maybe making it more squarish and lots of switchs for the turns.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #29
Subway Fugitive
Hobo

Yes, the front part of the layout will be a gritty urban scene complete with pawn shops and dive bars. The 2 loops will pass each other. If I do my homework I can figure how to make the trolleys stop at certain points. If I were to run 3 different tracks which would be the best way to run them? 3 different transformers?
Old 08-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #30
Massey
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: New to N.
DCC is the only way to effectivly and cheaply run 3 trollies at the same time with different stopping points. You could do it with 3 power packs but the wiring for the layout would be a nightmare to say the least. There are several different methods to set up a layout with stopping points around the place. I have a unit that allows my trolly to stop at a location wait a few then reverse and run back the other way. It is all done automaticly and via light sensors. The light sensors work good in most conditions but will not work in the dark. For night operations you would need an auto reverse or automated sensor setup that uses infrared sensors. They usually dont cost that much more but they do have some extra setup. The infra red do not care about how bright or now dim the room is.

Massey
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Owner of the South Massey Railway.
Massey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ho scale , layout , plans , traction , trolley