Big Boy restoration update - Page 10 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > The Right of Way > North America
Forgotten your password?

North America Discuss Canadian and American Prototype railways.

Old 05-05-2019, 11:07 PM   #91
Fire21
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N-Scale.
There are UP tracks that come to some of the coal mines in my county. 4014 was designed to haul goods, not people! I want them to bring her up here and pull a load of coal to feed the nation with electricity! What a great use of the Big Boy that would be!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #92
ebtnut
Conductor

Well, I wouldn't put it past UP to do a publicity run of the Big Boy with a load of Powder River coal. On the other hand, they converted her to run with oil, which kind of blunts the point.
ebtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:52 PM   #93
tjcruiser

Scales Modeled: HO ... and growing Lionel O
Fabulous!!!
tjcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2019, 06:54 PM   #94
bigdodgetrain
Conductor

Scales Modeled: O gauge
can't say how this came about but everyone living between Cheyenne and St Louis mo get ready, the big boy might be coming your way soon.
bigdodgetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:10 PM   #95
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
I am in St Louis and I am ready. I will try to stay up with 4014's schedule. I will be at the tracks to meet 4014. I have seen 844 and 3985 in St Louis. I believe 4014 will make here.
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:49 AM   #96
ERIE610
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: O GAUGE
UP 4014

Kansas City's Union Station has hosted the 844 & 3985 several times over the years. I hope the 4014 makes a pitstop on her way to St. Louis. KC is a big RR town for UP, BNSF & KCS. So I imagine she will.

LATER
ERIE610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #97
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

So I heard some interesting tidbits at our train club meeting last night...

First off, that 4014 had dropped an axle (first driver of the second engine) but they got it fixed and should be underway again shortly. I heard they pulled off on a siding that had no business holding this monster, but hopefully there was no damage to the rails.

Also, because of the enormous amount of power that 4014 generates and the short length of cars they are pulling behind it, they have actually been running 844 in dynamic braking most of the time to help keep the speed down.

They are heavily over-lubricating everything during the break-in process so it's dripping oil everywhere, and there are some apparent steam leaks in several places. Sounds like they'll have a bit of maintenance to do once they get back home this weekend.

Also they have registered waivers for some 12,000 miles of travel this year, so it sounds like there are big plans to take this baby out and show it off!

Sorry if any of my details are off, just trying to remember what was said. A lot more knowledgeable folks than myself have been talking up a storm about this, and I'm doing my best to keep up.
Shdwdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:47 PM   #98
Fire21
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N-Scale.
As I understand dynamic braking, electricity is generated by the traction motors of diesel electrics when in dynamic mode. That power is dissipated in the form of heat by grids of coils.

Unless 844 has been modified somehow to generate electricity, I don't see how they could run it in dynamic. And since all locos have throttles, why would they need to worry about controlling speed?
Old 05-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #99
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

My understanding is that they are using the pressure in the boiler to create drag? There was actually a discussion about the electrical generation, apparently there is a special car being pulled (it has a hump in the roof) that is generating electricity for the train.
Shdwdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:20 PM   #100
bigdodgetrain
Conductor

Scales Modeled: O gauge
not according to ed that is what the diesel is for.

and as other have said elsewhere steam engines will de-rail due to any number of issues. an engineer on the 765 de-railed her through no fault on anyone.

imo, the 4014 will go east to st louis mo stopping along the way sometime early summer.

Last edited by bigdodgetrain; 05-19-2019 at 05:13 PM..
bigdodgetrain is offline   Reply With Quote