Flushing & Brooklyn Rail Road - Page 9 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > My Layout
Forgotten your password?

My Layout Showcase your layout here - pictures, projects, progress, whatever!

Old 03-27-2019, 06:56 PM   #81
PoppetFlatsRR
Engineer

Run them straight up and down. The ends bend, it will look much neater, and should not be a problem. Keep up the great work.
PoppetFlatsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019, 10:31 PM   #82
Stan D
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: HO & G
Bend the tabs a little. The electrons won't even notice.
Stan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:33 PM   #83
Chops
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: OO, HO
Send a message via Yahoo to Chops
Nice to take a gander at this again. Right now my garage is getting new shelving,
so progress has come to a near stand still, but will be liberal plagiarizing your
efforts soon.
Chops is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2019, 12:48 PM   #84
Single Driver Steam
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: HO
Updates on the F&B RR:
  • Complete wiring
  • Troubleshoot wiring setup issue involving blocks for sidings
  • Glue down tracks using foam-friendly caulk

Now that the tracks are completely powered and glued down to their final positions, I can move on to scenery and the more creative aspects of modeling (the stuff I really enjoy!).

My next session will likely involve adding grass/turf, ballast, and dirt (roads and "dead patches" where buildings will be placed). The caulk is currently very visible under the tracks, however I plan to cover the ties anyway with Earth colored ballast as depicted in my earlier diorama. Once that happens the caulk should no longer be visible.

IMG_2045.JPG

IMG_2047.JPG

IMG_2048.JPG
Single Driver Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #85
Single Driver Steam
Gang Labourer

Updates on the F&B:

Finally! Scenery work has begun! The following has been performed:
  • Earth color undercoat added under neath the station, to the team track area, and part of a roadway that links to the outside world
  • Ballast added to the station tracks. Thought this would be an appropriate place to start just in case I made a slight mistake, the tracks will be covered over with an enclosed train shed station structure anyway!
  • I thought the back corner of the layout behind the station was looking a bit boring, so I decided to grab some foam pieces from my first 2x2 experiment diorama and create a small hill which will eventually be painted and scenery applied.

Next I plan to use the zip texture method to apply dirt to the undercoat I painted down here and then ballast the team track.

Had some excellent momentum here that I wish could keep going, however I must stop for the next week as I will be flying out west to follow the Big Boy and attend the Golden Spike 150th event. This will give me something to look forward to once I return from all the fun!

IMG_2169 copy.JPG

IMG_2171 copy.JPG

IMG_2174 copy.JPG
Old 05-14-2019, 07:21 PM   #86
Single Driver Steam
Gang Labourer

Returned from my Big Boy/Golden Spike trip a few days back and was ready to get back to modeling. Ended up having a very productive day adding a good amount of scenery and detailing to roughly 1/4 of the layout. Overall I'm satisfied but would like some recommendations on a few minor problems I'm facing.

First, here's a general overview of what I did today.
IMG_3148 copy.JPG

The hill so far looks ok, but in my mind doesn't quite look complete. I'm thinking of adding some rock casting to the center portion of the hill. Wonder if anyone can recommend a method for applying such a rock surface after you applied most of the scenery like I did here?
IMG_3149 copy.JPG

I had trouble with the ballast in most places. There are blotches where the ballast absorbed more scenic cement than others. Anyone here face an issue like this?
IMG_3150 copy.JPG

Finally, you can see a minor detail I'm for whatever reason greatly proud of. Unsure of what to do with the inch of space between the tracks and layout edge, I decided to add a footpath. You can also make out the roadway which I created with zip texturing. I ran a passenger car over the texture to create wagon ruts.
IMG_3151 copy.JPG

Last edited by Single Driver Steam; 05-15-2019 at 06:48 AM..
Old 05-14-2019, 11:21 PM   #87
Country Joe
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O Gauge
Nice work on the scenery. It looks really good.

I have never used rock castings so I can't offer any useful advice.

President Emeritus of the Olde Newburgh Model Railroad Club

TCA # 15-71249

Country Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM   #88
Nikola
Dispatcher

Wow, you are making great progress!

As someone mentioned, you can bend the connectors.

Also, you don't need the connectors at all if you tin the ends of the wires. You can then bend the ends to fit around the screws and they will not unravel and tinning adds stiffness.
Nikola is online now   Reply With Quote