Newbie w/maybe claim to unique distinction.??? - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > New Member Introduction
Forgotten your password?

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Come in here and introduce yourself!

Old 05-05-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
heckinohio
Hobo

Scales Modeled: O tinplate
Newbie w/maybe claim to unique distinction.???

Started trains w/Marx 10000 streamliner set in 1944, still have it. Got more serious in 1947 w/Christmas set of Lionel 675 frt. set, still have it & 1950 GG-1 set I bought new on the American plan from Gammermans on Eutaw or Pacca St in Baltimore, Md.......I can be corrected on the street name.

I turned 80 in Jan....not that special an event. What is though, I may be the only toy train guy to ever trade American Flyer S & Std. for machine guns. I have always been an O gauge guy. Have much prewar Lionel/Flyer, post war Lionel & lots of the scaly O from Williams early on & then the better stuff from Weaver, Lionel & MTH.......I had accumulated a biggy bunch of S & std Flyer..ran onto a guy from Pittsburg area who was big time machine gun dealer. His father had brought him a real nice big Marklin pass. set from Germany just after the war....he had a Franklin set displayed in his house....that led to our trading trains/guns.

Now my problem.......estate time is looming..... I have asbestos lung disease & have had 4 bypasses to this point. Latest problem is badly curved lower back rendering me w/severe leg pain by afternoon. Donna is 13 yrs younger & in 2011 lost her left foot in a farming accident. She will be stuck w/estate full of trains, guns & model airplanes to say nothing of the drag racing left overs & several old cars. She insists on keeping 50 Angus on her 100 acres. I am quickly running out of gas as a ranch hand.!!!!!!

TCA 73-5817, POCI 4774 (Pontiac car collectors) NRA since 1960, OGCA 20107 since 1968 (Ohio Gun Collectors).

PJHeck, Ohio
heckinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
Dennis461
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO
Interesting story.
My relatives and I discuss this train collection-estate sale often nowadays. There is also a gentleman on this forum trying to give up his railroad. A widow in Delaware is sending me a box of trains from her late husbands layout.

I've started saving html web pages if sold items on ebay similar to my equipment, perhaps help someone in my family in the future.

Perhaps we could start a network of collectors to help out fellow model railroaders next of kin somehow.

Any ideas?
Dennis461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
DonR
Train Master

PJ

If it is your intent to offer your trains for sale you can
do that here on the forum FOR SALE OR TRADE by members.
It's free and the only requirements are that you state
prices (or better offer is OK) as well as your policy on
payment and shipping. Pictures of what you have
are very helpful. If you have a large collection
individual sales can be time consuming, however.

Many use Craigslist 'Collectibles' and 'Toys and Games'.
But, if you have a nearby hobby shop they may have
someone who could be interested, or even buy themselves.

Don
DonR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2019, 11:24 AM   #4
Midnight Goat
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: O Gauge
Welcome to the forum PJ!

Very sorry to hear about your health troubles .

It sounds like you and I would get along very well! I'm also into trains, WW2 aircraft, Pontiacs (have a 2005 GTO + a 67' GTO), and last but not least Guns!

Don't have any MG's yet but mostly due to the ATF/Stamp headache. Planning to start small with a suppressor sometime soon but the wait is going to be terrible.

You being from Gallipolis also caught my eye. My grandfather was a crew chief on a B17 during WW2 called Gallipolis Special. Named after his fellow crew chief and friend's hometown.
Midnight Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
heckinohio
Hobo

Scales Modeled: O tinplate
Woes slightly increased. I broke Donnas tiller at the beginning of garden season.....3 weeks ago.....I have been tilling 80 ft rows w/18" Troy rear tine gadget that one must be very carfull with ....runs from you at the drop of a tine.!!!! Other tiller broke big time, cant even get it apart.

Gallipolis Special..........interesting.!!! Any idea of Gallipolis guys name.??? John Carhart was Pacific theatre nose gunner......2 .50s. Morris Haskins went across at Remagen, bunked in German hanger that nite & got shelled....big holes in his back.

I am going to try pictures here....

PJH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4-17 prewar & new, mixed (2).JPG (570.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 4-17 prewar & new, mixed (3).JPG (588.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 4-17 prewar & new, mixed.JPG (577.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 4-17 trains that are run.JPG (576.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Ed Lavender 1962 Ford, PJH Pont..JPG (40.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Pictures3253.JPG (30.8 KB, 20 views)
heckinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:03 AM   #6
Midnight Goat
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: O Gauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by heckinohio View Post
Woes slightly increased. I broke Donnas tiller at the beginning of garden season.....3 weeks ago.....I have been tilling 80 ft rows w/18" Troy rear tine gadget that one must be very carfull with ....runs from you at the drop of a tine.!!!! Other tiller broke big time, cant even get it apart.

Gallipolis Special..........interesting.!!! Any idea of Gallipolis guys name.??? John Carhart was Pacific theatre nose gunner......2 .50s. Morris Haskins went across at Remagen, bunked in German hanger that nite & got shelled....big holes in his back.

I am going to try pictures here....

PJH
Impressive as heck that you can run any tiller at 80! By the looks of it you can probably trade a toy or two for a new one.

John Wooten was the guys name from Gallipolis. He's in the middle of the picture below (my grandfather is on the right).

Wow you have quite a nice setup! I'm not sure if you're trying to liquidate everything but with all of the hype the UP big boy is getting lately it might be a good time to sell. Some hefty prices have been seen on ebay. Pretty sweet pistol display case as well! I like incorporating both hobbies into one place.
Midnight Goat is offline   Reply With Quote