Question for FlyerNut, Cramden or AMFlyer or whoever - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 05-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: N Scale and some American Flyer S Scale
Question Question for FlyerNut, Cramden or AMFlyer or whoever

I was told that the side to side play of the axles on a Pacific chassis was not as critical as the top to bottom. On my 312 K5 I get about 1/8 of an inch side to side play. I think that is excessive. But what do I know. The top to bottom is about 1/16 of an inch. So, should I replace the bearings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #2
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
Some side play is necessary, 1/8" sounds like too much but as long as there is no side rod binding, interference or exterior wheel face rubbing on the rods it would be ok. Interesting it is possible to have that much with properly gauged wheels.
1/16" top to bottom is too much. That should be redone.
I just looked at some of my engines. They all have some side play. By eyeball it looks around 1/16" None have any measurable top to bottom play. If any it might be 1/64" to 1/100".
Old 05-15-2019, 03:12 PM   #3
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
After Broke was thinking his bushings might need replacing I checked a few of mine.
They have some play but not enough I am worried about them. I just did side to side. Never thought about top to bottom. Guess I will have to check them again someday. Not having any problems with them so I would say they are ok.

I do not think these old flyers were built to rigid standards. That's probably why they still run. flyernut says he looks at his engines and wonders about the original owners. I do too. Would love to know more about the young boys that got these for Christmas and other occasions. I bet a lot of them their moms gave their trains away.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2019, 05:50 AM   #4
flyernut
Station Master

A 1/8" sounds like too much to me. I'm working on 2 Atlantics I just received Monday, and both of them are way less than 1/8, closer to 1/16". Like AmFlyer says, I would check your gauging. And don't forget, the wheels are not flush on the inside part of the wheel with the rim. They have a area that surrounds the axle and sticks out a small bit, that's the area that contacts the chassis first.This area could have been rubbed away, causing excessive side to side excessive movement.. Let me get a picture of what I'm talking about as I don't think I've made myself clear.
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:01 AM   #5
flyernut
Station Master

Here's a picture of the area that sticks out from the rim/wheel.. I checked approx 8 wheel/rims, and that area measures .025-.026. I highly doubt that could be the issue as that material seems to be harder than the brass bushings, but you never know. Again, I agree with AmFlyer, check your gauging.001.JPG
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:32 AM   #6
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

I think the deciding factor is the vertical movement. 1/16" of vertical play shows that the diameter of the bushing hole, at least in the vertical dimension, is about twice the diameter of the axle. These need to be repaired for proper running.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: N Scale and some American Flyer S Scale
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyernut View Post
A 1/8" sounds like too much to me. I'm working on 2 Atlantics I just received Monday, and both of them are way less than 1/8, closer to 1/16". Like AmFlyer says, I would check your gauging. And don't forget, the wheels are not flush on the inside part of the wheel with the rim. They have a area that surrounds the axle and sticks out a small bit, that's the area that contacts the chassis first.This area could have been rubbed away, causing excessive side to side excessive movement.. Let me get a picture of what I'm talking about as I don't think I've made myself clear.
The problem is when using a 30:1 dc motor there is a lot of gear noise. It is not constant but always there. Steve from S-N-S Trains said that the slow speed motor makes more noise than the regular. I think that there is too much play between the worm gear and the drive gear and smoker gear. I think that it is caused by too much play with the axles. But what do I know? If I knew anything I wouldn't be messing with +65 year old trains!
Old 05-16-2019, 09:42 AM   #8
mopac
Station Master

Broke not sure of how much of a hassel it would be but maybe trade the K5 motor with your northern motor. You did not seem to have any trouble with the northern set up.
And just see results. Your main gear may have too much wear. If your axle bushings have too much wear the drive gear could have too much wear and not meshing with the worm gear correctly. Jeez, that would be a lot of wear. Never seen it.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #9
mopac
Station Master

There might be a bad gear with the can motor. A little nick in a gear could cause some noise. Those can motor gears are not as stout as the gears in your locomotive.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:06 AM   #10
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

I think you are right Fred. The 30:1 worm is less tolerant of wear than the original Gilbert worm gears.