My new project - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > N Scale
Forgotten your password?

N Scale Atlas, Life-Like, Graham Farish, Micro-Trains, Minitrix and other N scale discussion.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:43 PM   #1
GNfan
Engineer

Scales Modeled: N
West My new project

A while back I posted this to a thread asking whether or not the people in your layout had backstories: "Well, sometime around 1955 'Ma and Pa' found themselves empty-nesters, and sold their old house in town and bought a couple of acres off the highway and a shiny new single-wide mobile home. After a while Ma got tired of going to town to use the laundromat, so Pa bought a prefab shed and turned it into a laundry room. About 1960 their daughter came back home from college and 'Junior' finished his hitch in the Navy; and they bought their own shiny new single-wides and prefab garages and such. And so, Ladies and Gentleman, that's the history of the Shady Lane Mobile Home Park". Here's my plan - I have all of the Imex structures and some of the vehicles (a mix of Classic Metal Works and Busch). The rest of the vehicles and the two Woodland Scenics structures will get here someday. Comments are welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shadylane.jpg (59.3 KB, 217 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2019, 11:26 PM   #2
PoppetFlatsRR
Engineer

Build that puppy and they will come!!!!
PoppetFlatsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #3
GNfan
Engineer

Thanks PoppetFlatsRR - I was beginning to wonder if anyone cared about N scale anymore. Tomorrow should prove interesting - I think the Busch vehicles (a 1950's Chevy pickup and Buick sedan) look small relative to the Classic Metal Works (a pair of 1950's Ford flatbeds and a pair of '59 Ford Fairlanes). Tomorrow I'm getting a pair of Classic Metal Works 1954 Ford pickups I can compare to the Busch Chevy.

I'm waiting until I get everything together so I have a picture of what ~$250 of N scale scenery looks like before I start opening the little clamshells and possibly breaking stuff (I once pulled a tire off a Woodland Scenics vehicle unpacking it), and I decided with those flatbeds I'd better have a forklift. Last time I checked it hadn't left Maryland yet.

Feel free to laugh, but I'm seriously considering a 1' x 1' x 1/8" industrial floor tile ($0.84 each at Lowes.com) as my base. I want to be able to store this in something like a cake pan with a lid. My house has too many cats .

Old 05-21-2019, 09:53 PM   #4
GNfan
Engineer

Update: After comparing the Busch, Classic Metal Works, and 1:148 Oxford Diecast vehicles to each other, and to the one other N scale vehicle I've got - yes, that Woodland Scenics "Mickey's Milk" truck I pulled a wheel off of - I've decided that the Oxford Diecast, Classic Metal Works, and Woodland Scenics are all close enough to each other that they are the vehicles I'll use. I'm disappointed at how small the Busch "Lanz Bulldog" antique tractor is - it might fit in the bed of a Classic Metal Works Ford Pickup. But it was more supposed to be something Pa and Junior lovingly restored for a hobby; so I guess it's OK that it's "Pa's go-kart". I just hope my Artitech forklift doesn't look like a toy next to the Classic Metal Works Ford flatbeds. The USPS has misplaced it and "Ma's laundry room" somewhere between Cockeysville, MD and Spokane, WA.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:47 AM   #5
Magic
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO 1950s Southern Pacific in So. California.
GNFan, we're here, waiting for more updates.

Magic
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:21 AM   #6
GNfan
Engineer

Update 5/22: My lost package came in today's mail. I'm astonished at how tiny and how detailed the forklift is. It looks like a small Hyster, maybe a 90 or 110 - and I bet all 4 wheels would fit on a penny. I'm now totally mystified as to what is a proper size for N scale vehicles; and this isn't going to b a big layout where some can be hidden away in a parking lot somewhere. My son with the fancy-pants digital camera said he'd take some pics for me tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:05 PM   #7
GNfan
Engineer

West Change in plans . . .

If you've been following the O gauge forum today, I hope you'll understand why I'm going to "negotiate with the CFO" and spend tonight trying to order what I think I want for "Phase 2". But I promised some pics, so here they are. The first shows what I mean by thinking the Busch vehicles seem small. A '59 Fairlane may have been a "boat" by today's standards, but was it really longer than a Buick sedan? The second pic is for laughs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0529.jpg (132.9 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0530.jpg (83.8 KB, 127 views)
Old 05-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #8
GNfan
Engineer

Update 5/24: I spent ~$100 at hobbylinc.com on stuff I knew came from China, trying to beat any possible price increase due to the tariffs (Well, it was a good excuse, anyway). When I first got the Imex 6340 "Maintenance Office" I thought it would make a cute little prefab cabin; and so last night I bought the "Country Cottage" to go with it, and it will go where the "Maint.Shed is on my map as rental cabins. I also bought a pair of Imex gas racks, a Woodland Scenics tin shed to be the well house, and two additional pairs of Classic Metal Works vehicles. And although it doesn't come from China I bought Junior an Oxford Diecast motorcycle with sidecar.

This weekend I hope to get out to Lowe's or Home Depot and find some of those floor tiles. And I want to look at sandpaper and see if I can simulate Eastern Washington scrub-steppe with blonde fine-grained sandpaper sealed with a couple of coats of flat clear Krylon.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:14 AM   #9
GNfan
Engineer

West My own private (west) Idaho

Sometimes Eastern Washington feels more like West Idaho.

Ok, here's my updated "map". I did get to Lowe's - those tiles are way too brittle. So I'm thinking of cutting a 18"x12"x¼" plastic cutting board into two 12"x8"x¼" pieces (with the handle in the scrap 12"x2"). That way, the 12"x8" pieces should fit comfortably 1n 13"x9" cake pans for safe storage. The red line represents the cut between the two pieces.

I've been looking at figures - I'm thinking about how the "scene" represents a staged aerial shot, so everything is as clean as possible and some of the figures are waving - not goodbye, but at the hypothetical photographer in a helicopter who has the same point-of-view as the actual viewer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shadylane.jpg (75.9 KB, 114 views)
Old 05-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #10
GNfan
Engineer

Update 5/26: If there's a scale discrepancy between the Classic Metal Works and Busch vehicles, the "tale of the tape" says the Busch ones are too small. I measure the length of those Classic Metal Works 1959 Ford Fairlanes to be 1 5/16 inches, which works out to 210 inches. The length I found online for a real '59 Fairlane is 208 inches.

On a similar note, I've found out that some Tomytec N scale is clearly labelled 1:150 on the Japanese packaging.