Once, There Was A Pond - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > Union Station
Forgotten your password?

Union Station Off topic discussions - take a load off after a busy day of model railroading.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
BobS
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O Gauge, and now N Scale (enjoying the lack of noise and ease of operation)
Once, There Was A Pond

When I was small, probably about seven years new, I followed a small creek. The creek lead to a pond, that really wasn’t a pond at all. It was a stone quarry, and was probably a 25 foot drop. I had to scurry around it to find my way down to the water.

The water was murky, and tepid, and stinky. It smelled of rot and the bottom was a black, sucky kind of mud. The kind that would grab ahold of you, and trap you fast. I found large bullfrogs, orange newts, tadpoles, dragonflies, and lots of creatures a seven-year-old didn’t know about.

I continued to explore this haven for three more years until we moved away. I went back, years later, and it was gone. Filled in, it was, and a street laid right over where it once existed.

I wondered what ever happened to the orange newts. They were cool.

I miss those days, when I was young, and everything was new, and things didn’t hurt so much, and I had many friends, and we had fun. Those were salad days, to be sure.

Go ask Alice, I think she'll know.
BobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Bob, I have a "once there was a pond" story also. Less than a mile from my house there was once a pond by a house. Many years ago a little boy that lived in the house was walking on the frozen surface of the pond. He fell through the ice and drown. True story. Today the pond and the house are gone. 3 houses have been built where the pond and house was. Every time I drive past I wonder if those people that live in the 3 houses know about the little boy that died in their yard. There is no sign of the pond. I remember him.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #3
rkenney
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O, O27, N
The 'duck' pond is the one I remember when I was that age. So called because the head of the science department of this private military school were my father taught banded ducks there and did various studies. A great location for frogs and tadpoles and generally playing in the woods beside it.

The family would picnic there during the summer often when I was young.

Years later I stopped in a small art studio near where I lived and found a silk screen that reminded me of that place. Trees and a hillside with a patch of sky. I didn't buy it, but told my wife about it and she went back and bought it for my birthday that year. It still hangs in my living room.
rkenney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #4
BobS
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O Gauge, and now N Scale (enjoying the lack of noise and ease of operation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkenney View Post
The 'duck' pond is the one I remember when I was that age. So called because the head of the science department of this private military school were my father taught banded ducks there and did various studies. A great location for frogs and tadpoles and generally playing in the woods beside it.

The family would picnic there during the summer often when I was young.

Years later I stopped in a small art studio near where I lived and found a silk screen that reminded me of that place. Trees and a hillside with a patch of sky. I didn't buy it, but told my wife about it and she went back and bought it for my birthday that year. It still hangs in my living room.
A good and lasting memory Bob. I am glad you have it.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:34 PM   #5
BobS
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac View Post
Bob, I have a "once there was a pond" story also. Less than a mile from my house there was once a pond by a house. Many years ago a little boy that lived in the house was walking on the frozen surface of the pond. He fell through the ice and drown. True story. Today the pond and the house are gone. 3 houses have been built where the pond and house was. Every time I drive past I wonder if those people that live in the 3 houses know about the little boy that died in their yard. There is no sign of the pond. I remember him.

Well Al, that may not be the memory I had hoped for you. Sad memories can not be forgotten easily.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
Country Joe
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O Gauge
Bob, I have two memories that really stand out.

First, when I was about 8 or 9 my dad and I built an eight foot by eight foot Lionel layout in our basement. The layout itself was nothing special but building it with dad, learning to cut wood with a hand saw and putting it together, wiring the trains and accessories with dad is something I often think about. I wish I could go back and visit that time. Mom and dad are gone, the house sold and another family lives there so I can't go back to have another look, but it lives in my memory.

The other really big memory is the great times we had at grandma and grandpa's. When I grew up in Glen Cove, NY, it was very different than it is today. It was a country town then. Grandma and grandpa had a large old farmhouse with a huge property. We had a number of big family get togethers each year with lots of grandma's excellent southern Italian cooking. Us cousins all played together, climbed trees, ran around playing gotcha last, played bocce and had a great time. Grandma, grandpa, mom and dad and all our aunts and uncles and even a couple of cousins have passed on, that old farmhouse is no more as are those times and gatherings. One of my cousins lives less than a half mile from us and once in a great while we talk about those days and how much we miss them.

Those two memories are the best of the best for me. I wish I could get in a time machine and go back for a visit.

President Emeritus of the Olde Newburgh Model Railroad Club

TCA # 15-71249

Country Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:02 PM   #7
BobS
Dispatcher

Nice memories Joe. I am glad you shared them with us. Both of them are treasures.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #8
Country Joe
Station Master

Thanks Bob. Your memory of the pond that is no longer there got me to thinking how much things change over time. And as a youngster everything was new and exciting. And how I could play hard all day, get a good night's sleep and do it all again the next day. Now I play kinda hard, get a good night's sleep, and everything hurts the next day, and the day after that. That's in addition to the normal aches and pains. Oh, to be young again.

TCA # 15-71249

Old 05-15-2019, 05:21 PM   #9
BobS
Dispatcher

Joe, the landscapes of our early lives have probably changed for most of us. You can't live for six or seven decades and expect everything to remain the same. I am glad to have the ability to remember those good times, and, the bad ones too. But I choose to leave them buried.

My early days with trains was to run them on a damp basement floor and get shocked every once in a while from the track. And, the smell of ozone and pellet smoke.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:55 PM   #10
Country Joe
Station Master

Bob, one of the wonderful things about living in Florida is that the warm temperatures, relatively high humidity and tile floors (very little carpet) create almost no static electricity.I don't miss those static shocks. I don't miss the cold, ice, snow, freezing rain, ice storms, etc, but the big one was the static shocks.

TCA # 15-71249