Anyone car people on here or all just train folk?? - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > Union Station
Forgotten your password?

Union Station Off topic discussions - take a load off after a busy day of model railroading.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #11
alaska railroad
Conductor

Scales Modeled: Ho primarily steam.
I love cars......
My 1980 Chevy Monte Carlo
My love , my 2003 Chevy Monte Carlo S.S Limited Edition.

There not cars, but i have another love.
My 2005 Polaris 700 Xc Sp
And my vintage race sled, 1980 Polaris TX-L
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161101_133256.jpg (1.67 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170818_133647.jpg (1.45 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170627_120239.jpg (1.50 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190208_125310.jpg (1.82 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190120_130646.jpg (1.40 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg My baby, 80' tx-l.jpg (417.3 KB, 0 views)
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 09:50 AM   #12
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
I sold this a couple years ago, but I bought it new in 1986, the last year for the classic Jag body style.

Jag-2.JPG

Jag-9.JPG
gunrunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #13
Lehigh74
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O
I always thought the XJ6 was a nice looking car. One of the best looking cars ever made. Years ago, there was a Daimler version of the XJ6 at a house where I delivered newspapers. Rare bird. Only ever saw that one.

Should you put a Vette engine in the Jag? NO WAY! NEVER! You should be banned from calling yourself a car guy for even thinking about it. The Jag 6 was a nice engine even if it had too much pollution crap by 83. How many miles are on it? Is the engine clapped out or just in need of tuning? Might be hard to find someone that can work on it, but if there is a Jag only car show in your area, you should be able to find a good Jag mechanic.

I have a 74 Alfa that I bought in 76. It has less than 40K miles and still runs well. Like your Jag, it stays in the garage most of the time. I drive it on nice sunny days, but due to its age, I don’t drive it very far from home. It was a fantastic car when it was built, but just about any modern econobox will out accelerate and out handle it. I have too much fun driving the original 1974 car to ever change it. There have been a few problems that local mechanics could not figure out, but there are two places within 40 minutes that know Alfas.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:06 AM   #14
Midnight Goat
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: O Gauge
Yep! There's a lot of us! I'm a GTO guy, own both a 67 and 05 Goat. 67 is in decent shape but planning to restomod it. Don't drive it that much because I don't trust the drums. Was planning to do a disc conversion in the short term while it waits for restoration but that went out the window with my Wife's 3k dental bill!
Midnight Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:27 AM   #15
Lee Willis
Train Master

Scales Modeled: O-Gauge
Derrenmb -
I thought about this a day or two before commenting more on the idea of converting the car to a V8.
1) I think there used to be kits to make convertsion to a GM LT1 or 350 crate engine and transmission fairly straightforward. Might look for them.
2) My experience doing several such swaps is that it is often a fun project but full of challenges and frustrations.
3) The probability of having to have something custom made, such as a special drive shaft reduction, exhaust collector, or whatever, is very high. These are expensive and can drive you crazy getting them right.
4) Don't overpower it. Tempting and sooo easy to do with a GM V8.
5) There is a lot of tiny things to finally get right, but I've seen it done to a Jag (older 1960 model) and work splendidly with a 350 GM crate engine.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #16
Darrenmb
Gang Labourer

You are correct, there are several companies that make the kits to do this project, some more complete than others, so we just have motor and trans mounts, others are pretty much turn key... I like the satisfaction in get when I do more myself, I am therefore looking at the basic kit, with a just a few add ons.. for example the speedo adapter, the driveshaft, the shift cable adapter keep stock shifter and the exhaust down pipes, especially designed to clear steering rack and oil filter.. etc...
I have done my homework on this as I bought the car 13 years ago with plans to do this straight away... but life in the way, I did warm over the jag motor a little, by deleting cats with a european down pipe, deleted front mufflers, port matching the intake to head, advanced cam timing, but at end if day it's a tired 4.2 straight 6 running through old world analog fuel injection controlled by a plastic flap in an air flow meter...
Darrenmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:42 PM   #17
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
At least the '86 Jag had electronic fuel injection. Since it only had 40K on it when I sold it, it wasn't tired.
gunrunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #18
tiger
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrenmb View Post
Anyone car people on here or all just train folk??
I our garage is my wife's Honda S2000, my Porsche Boxster, and our Sunbeam Tiger... but I might not be Car Folk.