Model Train Forum banner

#51 Navy Yard running choppy

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  fotojocbi 
#1 ·
I have a Lionel 51 Navy Yard Vulcan that needs some help. It runs very choppy, for a lack of a better term. It's very sporadic in its speed and does not run smooth at all. Any help or advice would be very appreciated!
Thanks, Jim

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The most obvious answer would be needing a good overhaul of the motor. You would need to clean and lubricate the motor, replace the brushes, and lubricate the axles. I don’t know your experience level or your capabilities to do that? Do you have a Service Manual, necessary tools, etc.. We can guide you through the process, or you can take it to a Lionel Service Station, (hobby shop).

#5 ·
I have one of those. Actually I just have the frame and motor. It runs pretty well.

One thing I have had problems with on the gang car (basically the same thing). Was the collector spring no longer holding one pickup roller down against the center rail. This causes some power lapses, if the power drops off completely it will cycle the E-unit and reverse directions. clean your pickup rollers first and make sure they have good contact (spring part # 41-24 is in place).

Here's the service manual pages.

View attachment LOC41-P1.pdf

Be careful not to iover-tighten the body screws during re-assembly. Cracked, broken mounting holes is one of the things you see damaged most often on these locomotives bodies.

#6 ·
I would suggest buying CRC Contact cleaner, (spray can), to help remove built up dirt on rollers, E-units, etc..

#9 ·
+1

Included in an overhaul would be a good wheel cleaning (all of them). They are the common connection to power. My favorite method: hook the transformer wires to the engine and run it upside down. Then use the CRC on those green kitchen pads - the ones about 3/8" thick (pack of six 3" by 6" at my dollar store). Soak the pad with some CRC and hold it against each wheel until no more black comes off.

The pad are good for cleaning track rails as well. The CRC tends to get pricey for that job so I use 90% isopropyl alcohol to soak the pads. I use alcohol on the wheels as well.

#8 ·
fotojocbi, Chances are that it would cause sparking, if it is weak enough to let it bounce, while running. You could also have dirt/carbon build up on the rollers that will do the same. I would just buy a new replacement. As far as maintenance, I would replace the motor Brushes, and clean the copper segments of the armature, before putting new brushes in. The collector assembly (rollers), is part #41-18; brushes are #622-121.

Are you capable of fixing it yourself? It isn’t hard, but takes some patience. Also, do you have a Lionel Service Manual, to reference part numbers, and see diagrams of your particular item? We can talk you through this, and give you more info for parts dealers. If you don’t have a Service Manual, you can see one on-line, at Olsen Toy Train Parts. (Olsentoy.com).

#11 ·
It would be a good idea to get Contact Cleaner, (CRC type), and spray the E unit finger area, along with the inside wheel/axle area. Use oil on the inside of the wheels, where they meet the axles, so that the oil wicks into the axle bushings. When you get& replace the brushes, everything should be fine. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.