Introduce yourself here! - Page 751 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > New Member Introduction
Forgotten your password?

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Come in here and introduce yourself!

Old 05-24-2019, 09:11 PM   #7501
MichaelE
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
Welcome to the site.

Will you be modeling US, Canadian, or European railroads?
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #7502
BrianJ
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
Welcome to the site.

Will you be modeling US, Canadian, or European railroads?
Well since I do have German heritage, Ill be mainly concentrating on a Canadian model with some German touches...
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:02 PM   #7503
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
Hi , My name is Brian, I live in rural Ontario. I loved model railroading in my youth and now after 35+ years I have the space available ( and the wifes blessings ) to begin enjoying model railroading again.. I see a lot has changed over the years...specially the price of supplies. I have a blank slate to work with and an area of about 15 X 20 to work with.
I concentrate on HO only...

BrianJ;

Welcome to the forum, and welcome back to the hobby! A space of 15' x 20' should allow you to build a very nice layout in your favorite scale of HO. Do you have a favorite prototype railroad, era, or geographic location that you would like to model?

There are a couple of different ways you could use your available space.

1) You could build a solid table that fills most of the 15' x 20' space with some space for aisles around the sides. One thing to consider in planning such a layout would be easy, convenient, access,to all parts of the table. What constitutes easy access can vary a lot depending on how high the table is, since that will be a factor in your ability to reach into the center area. Some other considerations would be your age, and any physical limitations; not only now, but in the future. A sad fact of life is that we all get older, and less flexible, over time. Model railroads, especially medium to large ones, take years/decades to finish. Some things I suggest avoiding are duck-under access, lift out sections, and complex track arrangements more than 12-18" from the nearest aisle.

2) A variation on the above, a true walk-in design. Basically more aisle and less table. No ducking, lifting out reaching way over, etc.

3) A step further than the walk-in. A shelf layout along some, or all, of the walls. The basic shelves don't need to be deep, say a 24" maximum. However, the ends will need to be deeper to allow turn-back loops, for continuous running. If all four walls are available these deep sections won't be necessary. You will have to bridge at least one door to get all the way around a room. For the movable section, I recommend a tilt down, tilt up, or swinging gate. All are much more convenient than duck unders or lift outs.

The attached files discuss some of these options in more detail. They also have other, more general info. I wrote them primarily for new modelers, planning their first layout. I realize that you are not new, and have had a layout before. However if you choose to look through the files, you may still find some useful information in them.
Since you are now planning your "dream layout", I recommend the excellent book "Track Planning for Realistic Operation, by John Armstrong. If you don't already have it, you can order a copy from https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/products/books or from www.amazon.com

Good luck, & have fun!

Traction Fan

WHERE DO I START 3.pdf

MODEL RAILROADING ON A BUDGET.pdf

Model Railroad Terminology 2.2.pdf

1 How to build a better first layout.pdf

2 How to build a better first layout.pdf

3 & 4 How to build a better first layout.pdf

5 How to build a better first layout.pdf

6 How to build a better first layout.pdf

All AboutTurnouts rev 4.pdf

Old 05-27-2019, 06:10 PM   #7504
asnowden
Hobo

New to Model trains and have a question about my first set

Hey guys, I purchased a vintage Lionel set locally and am going to have to get the engine running.
I got an entire Lionel 296T Outfit, complete with box and all. Looks like everything is there.
The wheels on the engine need to be replaced due to the nickel separating and not allowing the wheels to move completely.
Is there a recommendation for a repair guide and should I try to repair the paint or leave as is?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RYF7EGu3zYT6f7k3A

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aYTEnCwDxdCtEAYB9
asnowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:36 PM   #7505
teledoc
Super Moderator

Scales Modeled: Postwar/Prewar tinplate "O" scale
Andrew, Welcome to MTF. The attached photos only show the boxes, so can’t comment on the paint. The wheels could be solid disk, or spoked, but a new set run in the $40 range for a set of four. There are different suppliers that sell them. Hennings Trains, www.ttender.com, brasseur trains, etc., to name a few. Disk wheels are part# SLS-35; Spoked are part #SL-95. Next question is if you have any experience in repairing trains. It isn’t really hard to do.

"Prewar Tinplate fanatic”

Newly Appointed "Tinplate Wizard"
"The man behind the curtain????"
teledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:37 PM   #7506
Super-C
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO
Howdy model rails!

I am a new member here, but have been around model railroading and railfanning since I was a kid. I
grew up in Meadville, Pennsylvania back in the forties and fifties when the Erie ran numerous trains
through every day. Exciting stuff: the transition from steam to diesel. My Grandfather worked in the
yards there as a machinist. I got a Lionel layout for Christmas when I was only 3 – my Dad obviously
wanted to play with trains, too! I was the eldest of 3 boys and the layout grew as time went on.

Then off to college and after that was recruited by Sandia National Laboratories in Albuquerque, New
Mexico. Was a member of and served as an officer at the O-On3 club that operated the layout at the
State Fairgrounds. Home layout, the AT&SF (Albuquerque Transfer and Short Freight) was HO and
still under construction when I retired and decided to move permanently to the ‘vacation and winter
get-away’ place in Tucson, AZ that we have had for about 10 years. Yes, I will sorely miss those many
days sitting in front of the Harvey House Museum in Belen watching the goings-on at one of the finest
railfanning spots I have ever found.

Several years ago, I joined the HOBOE (HO Brotherhood Of Engineers) club in Tucson and have
planned out but not yet begun construction of the new AT&SF at my Tucson digs; this time the A is for
Arizona. Have a look at the HOBOE website: www.azhoboe.org and come see us if/when you get out
here in the West
Super-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:48 AM   #7507
Coupe
Hobo

Hello

Hello everyone thanks for adding me I collect O and Ho scales and model L&N and NCSTL
Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #7508
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe View Post
Hello everyone thanks for adding me I collect O and Ho scales and model L&N and NCSTL
Coupe;

Welcome to the forum!
I recognize the Louisville & Nashville, but I'm not familiar with the NCSTL. I take it you now have a HO-scale layout, featuring those two railroads? Can you tell us a little about it? How big/small, the geographic location & time era you like to model, Etc. Once you have posted five times, you will be able to attach photos. We'd like to see any that you care to post. Directions for attaching photos are in the "Forum News, Updates and Help" section.

Again Welcome;

Traction Fan
Old 06-03-2019, 01:33 PM   #7509
Coupe
Hobo

The NCSTL ran lines between Nashville and Chattanooga and farther in 1800s until the 1900s when L& N took over My modeling is a branch line half way between that goes in the mountains coal and timber is the main source.I am currently redoing in and hoping to make it larger
Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:41 PM   #7510
LionelFan
Hobo

My father and I woke up really early one Saturday morning and drove to a hobby shop in a large town near by. That day my father bought two Athern HO engines, the ones with the rubber band drives, and five cars. That was our start in model railroading. Must have been around 1960. We built a small model railroad in the attic and we spent countless hours running the trains.

I was around model trains most of my life, so it seemed natural to me to start building a N gauge model train once I was married and had a son. Over the years I moved from N scale too Lionel O.

I really liked the Lionel O's because I like the noise and the rattle and bang of the steam engines when they run. I began seriously buying Lionel starting in about 1980.

The building of my current railroad started in 1999, but I can no longer work under the table like I did when I was younger, so I no longer work on my layout.

Here are a few of my engines:

0000.jpg

Last edited by LionelFan; 06-06-2019 at 09:27 AM..
LionelFan is offline   Reply With Quote