Think I got it right now! - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Structures Forum
Forgotten your password?

Structures Forum Share your ideas and creations here, including your latest kitbash or scratch-built creation!

Old 09-21-2019, 06:14 AM   #11
Steve25
Hobo

Scales Modeled: Ho
Hi JA!
Before the NYC Putnam division shut down its passenger service in Sept of 58 this switch cabin was located between Baldwin place station which was on the border of Westchester county and Putnam county and Mahpac station on Bucks Hollow road, all of 80 ft off of what is now RT 6 thru Putnam county.

In 1962 the Putnam division was ripped up between Eastview station in Westchester county and where this switch cabin was in Mahopac.
This left 8 stations with no train service.

As far as I know the lower part of the Put in Westchester county under Conrail still ran fright trains up to Elmsford and its A & P food warehouse into the early 80s.
After that the NYC Harlem line still ran trains to Brewster from Goldens Bridge for a while until that 7 miles or so of track was torn up also.

The last fright movement I know of on the Put was in 1971 when a box car was picked up from a Lumber yard in Carmel right along RT 6 next to Lk Glenida, it ran there from Brewster on the Harlem division.

Also as far as I know the Golden's bridge station and its small yard area was torn up and the Harlem line realigned a bit when RT 684 that goes north and south (thru Westchester county and Putnam county ) was built and competed in 74.

While it was still standing a person wanted to buy this switch cabin to use as a home shed, but could not get transportation to do so Before it was torn down, in fact in the photos you can see that the cabin was starting to be repainted .
This was undertaken by the fellow who wanted to buy it as a effort to preserve the little bugger.

Last edited by Steve25; 09-22-2019 at 06:46 AM..
Steve25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement