Plastic vs Wood Buildings - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Structures Forum
Forgotten your password?

Structures Forum Share your ideas and creations here, including your latest kitbash or scratch-built creation!

Old 06-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #11
JoeSaggese
Conductor

There are a lot of beautiful wood kits out there but I like plastic best.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:18 PM   #12
MichaelE
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
Plastic can replicate just about any building material in use. It's hard to get wood to look like brick.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:05 AM   #13
GNfan
Engineer

Scales Modeled: N
I vote plastic. Looking for N scale doghouses, i came across a kit described as "15 pieces of laser-cut wood" for a structure with a footprint of 9/32" x 7/32". About the size of one of the little green houses from a Monopoly set. Really? Don't hold it between your thumb and forefinger and sneeze.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:45 PM   #14
Atlanta
Brakeman

I am voting for both and the combination of both.
When building a rural town than all kind of building materials can be used in H0 or larger scales.

Look at this town scenery, all kind of materials had been used, starting by cardstock, paper, wood, plastics of polystyrol polystirene, white metal, sandpaper and anything else.

I hope you will like what you are seeing.

Ya Ingo
Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:28 PM   #15
JoeSaggese
Conductor

Atlanta, I like your town
Old 06-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #16
Country Joe

Ingo, your town looks great. Very nice work.

I agree with you, both plastic and wood buildings can be used together and look fine.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:13 PM   #17
Atlanta
Brakeman

Hey Ya'll,

The Depot is built by own fictional Idea with small diameter wooden beams and small from ship building deck plank stripes but furniture blending surfaces can be cutted into small stripes to be used for wood buildings, too. The Watertower has an empty condenced milk can as base, what a friend of mine and me used to make our strong brewed coffee blond.
The spout is black coloured drinking halm. The miniature chains are anchor chains from model ship building suppliers.

We used scale resin buildings from DPM or SmalltownUSA and some other plastic building manufacturers. Woodland Scenics white metal buildings are also added. Alltogether more than three german RR Station buildings used to make this town.

All buildings got lighted interrior in all rooms, three circuits are layed to the building to switch the lights on and or off between night, early morning and evening and day and night time.
Electricity poles are from Rix, Busch and Faller. Telegraph poles are from Faller, too.
Most cars or Vehicles are from Jordan Highway Miniatures or Preiser and Woodland Scenics or IHC.
Layed Track is Roco Code 83 or Peco Code 75.

This module project died allready...it was my first experience in learning model scenery with lot of mistakes of tries and errors.

Ya Ingo
Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #18
lyrics 51
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: HO
I use both wood and plastic as well as paper, metal, foam and cloth. This warehouse is made of wood and card stock paper. I used my wife's card making stuff to score the paper and hopefully make it look like a metal roof and garage doors. The platform is wood. I also used wood to make the stairs, dock and raft in the lake as well as the street. The cell phone tower is all wood, except for the fence which is brass and cloth. The mountains are foam. The boulder in the middle of the lake is foam and the boulders around the lake are actual rocks. The light on the warehouse is the last LED on a three LED strip. As all of you probably already know, half the fun (or more) is figuring out what to use for scenery. I guess it doesn't matter what you use as long as the end product looks somewhat realistic! Sorry the one picture is on its side!
IMGP0927.JPG

IMGP0928.JPG

IMGP6316.JPG
lyrics 51 is offline   Reply With Quote