Model Train Forum banner

February

707 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Old_Hobo 
#1 ·
I've been in and out of the model railroading hobby for many years, currently out but thinking about it. I've noticed that every year, as February approaches I get the itch. There's something about this time of year that gets me thinking about model trains.

I think it goes back to childhood, the post Christmas period was a time when you might have acquired some train gear. Plus winter is a great time for indoor hobbies.

The other thing is that when I was a kid walking outside, I used to look at the tire tracks in the snow, and it used to remind me of track plans, and railroad lines and switches. I guess all this is why I get the model train itch around this time of year. Has anyone else experienced this?

#2 ·
No, but February is something I associate with toy trains, but for a different reason. My birthday is in early February, and during my "formative years" birthday present requests were always for train-related stuff. Thus I associate February with new train stuff to play with.

#3 ·
Ironically February makes me think I better get something done on the layout because time is running out! I only work on it in the winter October to March (depending on weather) once it’s warm out I’m outside doing stuff so in the summer I’ll stop in every now and again to do some switching and run some engines but no real work takes place. So February starts to signal the end of layout season is drawing near.

#6 ·
I also have a birthday in early February, and up here in the Great White North, February is the start of train show season as well....

February, March, April and May are months in which train shows happen here in Western Canada.....plus various model train swap meets.....it's all good! :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.