making water - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Painting, detailing and decaling
Forgotten your password?

Painting, detailing and decaling Tips, techniques, and discussions about painting, detailing or decaling rolling stock or scenery.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
Neophyte42!
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO
making water

I know there are a lot of tips out there for making ponds, rivers, waterfalls etc.
What I need to do is make something like rain water, or a melted block of ice, or overflow from a rain barrel. In other words, basically clear.

Any suggestions, photos, tips etc would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Neophyte42! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 08:43 PM   #2
Country Joe
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O Gauge
If I correctly understand what you are trying to do I would suggest Mod Podge Gloss or acrylic varnish. Either will give a shiny surface that looks wet.

President Emeritus of the Olde Newburgh Model Railroad Club

TCA # 15-71249

Country Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:10 PM   #3
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Woodland Scenics Water Effects, or acrylic gloss gel medium (basically the same stuff -- the latter is available at art supply stores or on line and is much cheaper). Apply it with a toothpick or very fine, fairly stiff brush.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
Neophyte42!
Hobo

Country Joe and CTValley,

Thanks for the tips....I'll check them out and see the one that best suits my limited talents.

Mike
Old 04-14-2019, 12:23 AM   #5
Jille
Hobo

I always like using enviro tech. It's a two part mix and takes some time to cure but comes out nice.
Jille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:20 AM   #6
Neophyte42!
Hobo

Thanks Jille, Another possibility to explore.

Mike
Old 04-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #7
mesenteria
Dispatcher

I would encourage you to consider what is called 'gel gloss medium'.

Mod Podge gloss medium is an excellent product, but it will run. Maybe more than you want it to and can control for on certain surfaces. It eventually stops running and cures as it lies, but that may be much too late.

Gel gloss medium, looks a lot like Nivea cold cream, can be smeared, thickly or lightly, and left in place to cure. A small jar, say a cup's worth, will be less than ten dollars in most places, but if you seal it well, as I have, it will last centuries.

I do like, and have used, Envirotex, and similar two-part finish quality epoxies. However, they are very costly in comparison, and they also run. Since you have to mix equal quantities of the hardener and resin fluids, you have to mix a minimum quantity, and if you don't use it all, it gets (expensively) wasted. If you really find the epoxy idea appealing, go to the adhesives section at a large box DIY and find the double plunger epoxy from LePages and others. You can carefully squeeze out a small dollop from both syringes and thoroughly mix that smaller amount. Much more sensible, less wasteful, and you spend much less that way.
mesenteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:43 PM   #8
CTValleyRR
Train Master

I have to agree with mesenteria on the Envirotex (or any two part resin). They're fine for making large bodies of water like lakes and rivers, but not for the tiny applications that the OP is referring to.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #9
Neophyte42!
Hobo

mesenteria--thanks for the detailed information. Always helpful to know what will happen with the use of these products.

Given what has been said, I think I'm headed to my local craft store to look at some type of clear gel that will seemingly solve my problem.

Thanks to all

Mike