Advice on which bag to get to carry trains - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > General Model Train Discussion
Forgotten your password?

General Model Train Discussion Mostly anything goes, especially train related!

Old 10-01-2019, 08:58 PM   #11
Isaac
Hobo

Just got an email from Spring Mills they told me shipping to my area is $66 but since im buying everything in a package it would be $52. I don't know what to do, I haven't found any other carrying bags that are long enough to fit the 30" daylight car. What should I do?
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #12
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Congratulations, I am almost 21 now, not in scouts anymore, unfortunately I joined at almost 14 so I didn't have enough time to make eagle scout but I still had lots of fun and made lots of friends. Althought never heard of the railroading badge. Last news I heard from the BSA was some big political thing where they were gonna rename it and let girls in.
It is possible, but very difficult, to make Eagle scout in four years.

I was a scout leader (Cubs and Boy Scouts) for 16 years. Admitting girls is about the money and the membership, not some notion of political correctness. Personally, I think they're being silly about separate troops and packs for girls. In my pack and troop, we always had s couple of female siblings who did everything with the boys anyway. It was nice to be able to finally recognize their achievements.

And I guess, if we want to discuss this further we should open a separate thread, because we're way off the topic of model trains...

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:10 PM   #13
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Just got an email from Spring Mills they told me shipping to my area is $66 but since im buying everything in a package it would be $52. I don't know what to do, I haven't found any other carrying bags that are long enough to fit the 30" daylight car. What should I do?
I'll tell you the same thing that my father taught me and I passed to my boys: if you want something, decide if it's worth what the seller is asking. If it is, save your pennies and buy it. Shipping and taxes are facts of life, so you just accept it.

Shipping cost is a factor of weight and cube (volume) 4 SMD storage boxes and the carrying case, plus shipping material is only going to weigh about seven or eight pounds, but it's huge -- 12 cubic feet or thereabouts. And across the country, to boot. It sounds like you"ve already asked about reduced price shipping; if not, do so. They may work with you if it will get them a sale.

On the other hand, you don't need a commercial train box. You can make one yourself out of a Sterilite or Rubbermade tote, some hot glue, and $10 of foam from the craft store. It probably won't be pretty, but it will be functional and cheaper .

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2019, 08:42 AM   #14
Stumpy
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post
On the other hand, you don't need a commercial train box. You can make one yourself out of a Sterilite or Rubbermade tote, some hot glue, and $10 of foam from the craft store. It probably won't be pretty, but it will be functional and cheaper .
And will last a lot longer than those cardboard boxes. I'll wager you could build 3 or 4 "train totes" for what they're going to charge you for shipping.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote