Moving MTH out the door - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2019, 06:53 AM   #1
danpuckett
Brakeman
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Buchanan, Michigan
Posts: 114
Scales Modeled: O gauge and HO
Moving MTH out the door

I have a nice O - gauge layout; have Lionel Lionchief plus, several Lionel conventional locomotives, and one MTH locomotive. I bought the MTH because I wanted to try it, but after running it a while even though it runs well it is just too "clunky" a system for me. The thumb wheel on the remote is probably the most troublesome. I can never stop the train where I want to. I am not a collector so I readily buy and sell. The decision to depart MTH was not easy, but for what I do it is just not worth the hassle. I have Proto-Sound 3 which is great but that thumb wheel...
danpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-20-2019, 07:31 AM   #2
HarborBelt1970
Engineer
 
HarborBelt1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Illinois
Posts: 855
Scales Modeled: 3rail and 3Rail scale O, HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpuckett View Post
I have a nice O - gauge layout; have Lionel Lionchief plus, several Lionel conventional locomotives, and one MTH locomotive. I bought the MTH because I wanted to try it, but after running it a while even though it runs well it is just too "clunky" a system for me. The thumb wheel on the remote is probably the most troublesome. I can never stop the train where I want to. I am not a collector so I readily buy and sell. The decision to depart MTH was not easy, but for what I do it is just not worth the hassle. I have Proto-Sound 3 which is great but that thumb wheel...
I am not a champion of MTH and the thumb wheel is, apart from anything else, a component that is prone to fail. But the slow stopping rate you have experienced, as have I, is not solely a function of the mechanical wheel.

I think that in the DCS settings there is an adjustment or more than one that can be made for acceleration/deceleration/braking rates, which will ensure that an engine stops with just a relatively slight turn of the wheel. I know this partly because resetting a DCS engine reverts to the factory setting, which is prototypically slow. Look in any of the online MTH DCS manuals and you'll find which menu it's in.

Not that that will persuade you to opt out of MTH, which is good in number of respects, but it's worth knowing. Someone more expert can probably tell you where to find the procedure; I have to look it up every time.
HarborBelt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #3
Lehigh74
Station Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,478
Scales Modeled: O
Harbor belt is right. To control the acceleration or deceleration rate, just hit the menu button, then control, then scroll to ACC RATE or DEC RATE. To stop, just hit the DIR button or hit the BRAKE button twice.

I found the DCS system somewhat intuitive. It is more complex than LC or LC+, but there are a lot more features and the sound is so much better. True the thumbwheel is the weak feature, but I like the overall operation.

You should have no problem selling your MTH stuff. You might get a better dollar on the handheld remote in a few years when there are no more new ones available and some folks don’t want to switch over to WIFI control.
__________________
Bob
Lehigh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 10-20-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
PENNSY484
Gang Labourer
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 94
Scales Modeled: O
Once you have the deceleration rate set higher how you want it (e.g. 15 smph), when running if you press brake twice it will stop the train, you don't need to use the wheel to stop the train. Or just hit the direction button, that will stop it on a dime as well.
__________________

Jeff
TCA Eastern Division member
PRRT&HS member
LCCA member
YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/pennsy484
PENNSY484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:06 PM   #5
Krieglok
Dispatcher
 
Krieglok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,580
Scales Modeled: O, HO, N, OO
There isn’t anything wrong with going what works for you best. You gave MTH a chance and it wasn’t for you. It will still operate nicely in conventional mode if you use that setup too.

I have MTH DCS, Lionel TMCC and Legacy and they are all great. I just collect at this point, so my running experience is limited.

I am sure it will complicate things when I build a layout, as the collection is a little too diverse.
__________________
"The glorious past, the wonderful future and the crummy now"- Jean Shepherd
Krieglok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:54 PM   #6
Norton
Station Master
 
Norton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,624
Scales Modeled: HO, 3R 1/48
Hang on to your DCS controls. MTH has done dozens of engines not done by the other manufacturers. One may come along you like.
As for the wi fi option many actually prefer it to the handheld including a few friends collecting Social Security. Its not just for the kids anymore.

Pete
Norton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:28 PM   #7
rogruth
Engineer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pembroke,Georgia
Posts: 972
Scales Modeled: 3 rail O
FWIW I have a small layout, @16' X 20', and @ 20 locos. None are MTH. Three are TMCC
and the rest are conventional. I did try the TMCC but found the only feature I like was being able to uncouple from the loco anywhere on the layout. Please understand that I had no problems with TMCC, I just didn't like it. Also understand that the remote stuff all came along during the 50+ years I did not have a layout.
rogruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:38 PM   #8
beachhead2
Conductor
 
beachhead2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 335
Scales Modeled: O, Std. Gauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogruth View Post
FWIW I have a small layout, @16' X 20', and @ 20 locos. None are MTH. Three are TMCC
and the rest are conventional. I did try the TMCC but found the only feature I like was being able to uncouple from the loco anywhere on the layout. Please understand that I had no problems with TMCC, I just didn't like it. Also understand that the remote stuff all came along during the 50+ years I did not have a layout.
In the words of the great Chuck Berry: This is a free country. Live like you wanna live, baby!
beachhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:58 PM   #9
rogruth
Engineer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pembroke,Georgia
Posts: 972
Scales Modeled: 3 rail O
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead2 View Post
In the words of the great Chuck Berry: This is a free country. Live like you wanna live, baby!
Please understand that I do see why others would be very happy with command control. Just to much for my needs.
rogruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:00 AM   #10
beachhead2
Conductor
 
beachhead2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 335
Scales Modeled: O, Std. Gauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogruth View Post
Please understand that I do see why others would be very happy with command control. Just to much for my needs.
Absolutely. I support you, man.
beachhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


» Visit These Sites:
LGB World

Or Our European Train Website ModelRailForum




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.