Scary build! - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Structures Forum
Forgotten your password?

Structures Forum Share your ideas and creations here, including your latest kitbash or scratch-built creation!

Old 09-14-2019, 05:22 AM   #21
Steve25
Hobo

Yes, I have found the same thing , it's just that it's setting time is so slow even when used sparingly that I get impatient.

When I do have the time to sit down and build I most times need to go fast, so at that point it's super glue and accellerent time for me!

I wish there could be such a thing to speed up the curing of the Testors in the tube, but I have never heard of such.
Steve25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2019, 05:46 AM   #22
Steve25
Hobo

Getting back to it again here over the weekend.

Moving along with the front side window rework which is time consuming as it seems to take me some 35 minutes each to get them done and looking acceptable!

I also need to get better White paint that covers in only 2 coats as it's taking me 3 coats to get the windows looking good which is more time then I would like to spend on doing that, oh where oh where has Floquil gone?

Until I get all the windows painted I can't apply my main wall color which will be a middle tone Gray.

The arrow points to the modified upper windows compared to the ones in the wall on the left.

On my next post I should have some subassembly done I hope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0996.JPG (1.26 MB, 3 views)
Old 09-30-2019, 12:28 PM   #23
cole226
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: 0 and 0n30
USA

you're extra efforts are really going to payoff. That's going to be a real attention getter.

tunkhannock viaduct
cole226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2019, 05:01 AM   #24
Steve25
Hobo

Thanks for the kind words Cole!

I started to use my Testors flat enamel white on the windows last night and it covers atleast a little better, but is a bit thicker then the folk art brand paint I was using and nothing Tee's me off more then when paint starts to cover up details!

In hind site I should have just spray primed near everything White and not the tan that I did.
Lesson learned....again!
Old 10-07-2019, 05:54 AM   #25
Steve25
Hobo

Hi there folks , how are ya all?

Here's a update on the build here.

Just for this photo I taped together some of the front wall sections that I have near to being all done.

They all still need some touch up's in terms of painting and the entrance wall under the front porch is not even painted at all yet due to the rework of the upper peak I am doing and the foundation brick work is not painted and weathered yet.

That peak ( whatever it's really called on these types of houses ) with the sad face in it as cast in the kit could not say in my build ( it has to be a happy face) and I really like the looks of how the real one was not only resessed, but notched back around its inside perimeter and that's the way I am reworking mine as you can see from the missing face if you reference my previous photo's.

I need to get more roofing material later in the week and the house should go together fast at that point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0997.JPG (1.57 MB, 3 views)

Last edited by Steve25; 10-07-2019 at 06:31 AM..
Old Today, 05:51 AM   #26
Steve25
Hobo

I have made a but more progress on the kit to report to you folks on.

The foundation of the kit had some pretty good gaps between section so I have filled those in with Durhams water putty and then sanded and carved back in the needed brick detail and next comes the repaint of the brick and the upper foundation line.

The very upper roof sections that I am re-doing in Fishscale shingles is coming along but slowly.

One big thing I still need to do is to figure out what chimney's I will use and where they will go such that the make sense to the function of the house without killing its looks.

On big strange thing I do not like about the kit is that it has no rear or side door.
I think what I will do is build out a small covered porch in front of one of the rear windows that is on a narrow wall section by means of a false wall that will have a big double door of mostly glass in it as if it was coming off the kitchen .
Off of this porch I will add a patio when I get around to placing it on the layout.

The broken window on the front lower left will become a repair job for a HO scale work crew once the house is inplace.

As a side note I found that if your very carefull with Testors dull coat even though it's a Laquer paint you can spray it over a Enamel if you build up serveral light coats at a time with enough drying time inbewteen coats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1003.JPG (1.52 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1004.JPG (1.42 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1005.JPG (1.36 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1006.JPG (1.51 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1007.JPG (1.52 MB, 0 views)
Old Today, 09:55 AM   #27
NorfolkSouthernguy
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: HO
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreash View Post
Love it....it would be a conversation starter.

A few years ago I came across the Bates house (psycho) in 1/87. I am still kicking myself for not buying it.....
Attachment 505680

Just FYI you can still get the Bates house in HO 1/87. I run across them quite often on eBay when browsing. There is one on Etsy right now already built for $29.00 free shipping. 👍

Mark
NorfolkSouthernguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:58 AM   #28
NorfolkSouthernguy
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: HO
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve25 View Post
I have made a but more progress on the kit to report to you folks on.

The foundation of the kit had some pretty good gaps between section so I have filled those in with Durhams water putty and then sanded and carved back in the needed brick detail and next comes the repaint of the brick and the upper foundation line.

The very upper roof sections that I am re-doing in Fishscale shingles is coming along but slowly.

One big thing I still need to do is to figure out what chimney's I will use and where they will go such that the make sense to the function of the house without killing its looks.

On big strange thing I do not like about the kit is that it has no rear or side door.
I think what I will do is build out a small covered porch in front of one of the rear windows that is on a narrow wall section by means of a false wall that will have a big double door of mostly glass in it as if it was coming off the kitchen .
Off of this porch I will add a patio when I get around to placing it on the layout.

The broken window on the front lower left will become a repair job for a HO scale work crew once the house is inplace.

As a side note I found that if your very carefull with Testors dull coat even though it's a Laquer paint you can spray it over a Enamel if you build up serveral light coats at a time with enough drying time inbewteen coats.
Speaking of scary this very house already built is for sale at $358.00 on Etsy! 😮👻

Mark
NorfolkSouthernguy is offline   Reply With Quote