"The Yankee" One of the Oldest Steam Engine in U.S. - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > The Right of Way > North America
Forgotten your password?

North America Discuss Canadian and American Prototype railways.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
teledoc
Super Moderator

Scales Modeled: Postwar/Prewar tinplate "O" scale
"The Yankee" One of the Oldest Steam Engine in U.S.

The Yankee is one of three surviving steam locomotives, that were used in the mining industry. The Michigan Iron Industry Museum, in Negaunee, Michigan, has received a grant of $120,000, to restore the Yankee. Here is a photo of the loco, in it's present state.
Yankee_Now (1).jpg

The locomotive was manufactured by Alexander Chaplin & Co., of Glasgow, Scotland, between 1862-1868. It revolutionized the moving of iron ore, which had been previously been done by hand and animal power. Attached is an article from the Detroit News, which explains the history and added photos. I never knew about the Yankee, but found the article interesting reading.

https://www.uppermichiganssource.com...563146171.html

"Prewar Tinplate fanatic”

Newly Appointed "Tinplate Wizard"
"The man behind the curtain????"

Last edited by teledoc; 10-22-2019 at 02:41 PM..
teledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #2
Fire21
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N-Scale.
It always does my heart good to see old machines restored. I wonder if they'll ever run The Yankee after it's fixed up? Would be wasteful to restore it to running condition and then not run it!
Old 10-21-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
santafe158
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O, HO, N
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire21 View Post
It always does my heart good to see old machines restored. I wonder if they'll ever run The Yankee after it's fixed up? Would be wasteful to restore it to running condition and then not run it!
It will be getting cosmetically restored for indoor display. An operational restoration would likely involve removing most of the material that makes it a historic locomotive

My Youtube Channel
santafe158 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2019, 04:27 PM   #4
ebtnut
Conductor

It is not the oldest steam engine in the U.S. That honor goes to the John Bull, built in 1831 and currently resides in the Smithsonian in D.C. As noted in the attachment, it was actually restored to service for its 150th anniversary in 1981. From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bull_(locomotive)
ebtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree, & 1 S locomotive
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebtnut View Post
It is not the oldest steam engine in the U.S. That honor goes to the John Bull, built in 1831 and currently resides in the Smithsonian in D.C. As noted in the attachment, it was actually restored to service for its 150th anniversary in 1981. From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bull_(locomotive)
And operated where........New Jersey.

For 120,000 bucks it should be running! Look at it there is not much to it....120,000 bucks!
Heck Give it to DonF, for a thousand or so he would have that looking like new.

Central Railroad of New Jersey
Big Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #6
cv_acr
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ed View Post
For 120,000 bucks it should be running! Look at it there is not much to it....120,000 bucks!
120K is absolutely nothing for a locomotive restoration.

Although this is a small engine, steam locomotive restorations to full operation can often costs several hundred to millions of dollars depending on the size and complexity of the engine.
cv_acr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #7
Old_Hobo
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: HO (also a little OO & O)
Title correction is in order.....the article said the steam engine is ONE of the oldest in the world....
Old 10-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #8
Fire21
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N-Scale.
If it's just getting a cosmetic "restoration", I'll paint the dang thing for $120,000!
Old 10-22-2019, 01:18 PM   #9
santafe158
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O, HO, N
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire21 View Post
If it's just getting a cosmetic "restoration", I'll paint the dang thing for $120,000!
I suspect that although it was a very simple locomotive when complete, there are numerous small parts that are missing that will involve researching to figure out what the lost pieces looked like. Then casting and/or machining replacements will be needed and that definitely can add up quickly. That's not to mention rigging costs if lifted by crane (four times), transportation to and from the restoration site, etc.

Good cosmetic restorations involve a lot more than a simple paint job. The PRR 4-4-2 #460 at the RR Museum of PA is a good example of that. If you look at any of their posts about the restoration process for that locomotive, you'll see things that are generally done when restoring one to operation (although they didn't take it that far). As it sits on display, it looks complete and ready for service.

My Youtube Channel
santafe158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #10
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree, & 1 S locomotive
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv_acr View Post
120K is absolutely nothing for a locomotive restoration.

Although this is a small engine, steam locomotive restorations to full operation can often costs several hundred to millions of dollars depending on the size and complexity of the engine.
That is why I said for that much money it should be running.

If the 120 grand is just for cosmetics they are getting hosed.
We are not looking at a Big Boy restoration.

Central Railroad of New Jersey
Big Ed is offline   Reply With Quote