WASSSSSUUUUPPPP!!! - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > N Scale
Forgotten your password?

N Scale Atlas, Life-Like, Graham Farish, Micro-Trains, Minitrix and other N scale discussion.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:41 PM   #1
bl665
Hobo

WASSSSSUUUUPPPP!!!

Hey everyone !!! This is my first post on any model train forum ever ! Pretty interesting as I've been on many forums from aquariums to many different types of cars and for fun some hacking forums lol.

Anyways I've always loved trains since my grandfather growing up had his own room with them. I even inherited a few items that i still have with me to this day. Life of course got a hold of me and I had to sweep it under the rug even though I didnt attempt this. but it happens sadly. Whenever I see trains it reminds me though.

I'm getting to the point. promise.

After a lot of life changing events I was able to empty my storage unit and ran across some HO scale and N scale items from 20 yrs ago. !! WTF !!! haha

I then realized that modeling was a lot more affordable today then when I was 10 lol.

I have boughten a lot of things. Back then I didnt have youtube or ebay or amazon either so this changed the game for me!

So as you can probably guess Im starting from scratch. I have a whole new set of ideas, tools, planning, and logic to put this together so I wanted to find somewhere I could share the journey.

Check it out.

The benchwork is actually not on the floor it is hanging from storage rafters that are in the garage. I have to do this because Im renting the house I live in and If i have to move well then I need a portable set up. hence N scale and Hence a hanging shelf !

I hope yall dig it Happy Friday !
bl665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2019, 08:00 PM   #2
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree, & 1 S locomotive
USA

Welcome to the site.

I see your planning a tunnel? Or a mountain?
Plan on some kind of access to get inside it, in case of a derailment.

Watch down by the bottom of the portal too where the curve is.
Leave enough room for the train, looks kind of close right now.

By all means get some more power strips too.

Watch that you don't overload them.

Central Railroad of New Jersey
Big Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:40 PM   #3
bl665
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ed View Post
Welcome to the site.

I see your planning a tunnel? Or a mountain?
Plan on some kind of access to get inside it, in case of a derailment.

Watch down by the bottom of the portal too where the curve is.
Leave enough room for the train, looks kind of close right now.

By all means get some more power strips too.

Watch that you don't overload them.

Thanks! Ya I do plan on building two tunnels/mountains. One per side of the board.

I have thought about that ! So My idea was to build up half of the mountain and then have it split somewhere in the middle where I can sort of sling a "dress" over it for scenery but also be able to lift up and take it off to get to any derailed trains.

You are right it is very tight. but actually not to tight I've pined down some track as an example and ran a few trains by. The real test will be when I actually glue the track down lol . so I hope my planning is a success.

As far as power strips, Im not to worried about that. Im actually going to be running a DCC setup. It will be my first time ever installing one so Im bound to run into a few things. I have been doing a lot of research and reading though. I for sure will report here when I come up with some issues.

Like I said Im bound to run into them haha

Thanks for the response man ! And no smokin haha like I said Im renting this place lol

Old 10-05-2019, 03:20 AM   #4
bl665
Hobo

Some experimenting with scenery .... Thoughts ???

Old 10-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #5
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree, & 1 S locomotive
USA

What are the red things in the scenery picture?
It sort of looks like you just tossed all the stuff on it in 3 seconds.

I like the trees, but the tobacco looking stuff needs some work?
Or is that wackie to-bacc-ieee?
Clean it off the tracks too.

Did you paint the bottom?
To me it is kind of dark, but that would be up to you.

For the mountain I would try to figure out a way to just lift the whole thing out. It looks like it is backed up to the wall in a spot where you can't see the back?

I made this for a corner, I can pick the whole thing up.
I started with scrap packing materials. Then stuffed it with balled up newspaper on the inside while I plaster clothed the out side. After it hardened I removed the newspaper.

Started like this, (THE ROCK)
My Rock thread,
https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=5314
Take a look if you want, maybe you can pick up a few ideals.

PB250033.jpg
PB260039.jpg

This is not the finished product, matter of fact it still is not finished as that gas meter was relocated outside now and the whole corner is torn down now, waiting for me to rebuild it.
The tunnel is not for the trains but for vehicles. The road goes nowhere.

PC180008 (1).jpg

This is an O scale table so my rock is fairly big, but I can pick it up to move it around. Your N scale mountain will be smaller.
I would try to find a way to make it portable back in there.

Central Railroad of New Jersey
Big Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #6
bl665
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ed View Post
What are the red things in the scenery picture?
It sort of looks like you just tossed all the stuff on it in 3 seconds.

I like the trees, but the tobacco looking stuff needs some work?
Or is that wackie to-bacc-ieee?
Clean it off the tracks too.

Did you paint the bottom?
To me it is kind of dark, but that would be up to you.

For the mountain I would try to figure out a way to just lift the whole thing out. It looks like it is backed up to the wall in a spot where you can't see the back?

I made this for a corner, I can pick the whole thing up.
I started with scrap packing materials. Then stuffed it with balled up newspaper on the inside while I plaster clothed the out side. After it hardened I removed the newspaper.

Started like this, (THE ROCK)
My Rock thread,
https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=5314
Take a look if you want, maybe you can pick up a few ideals.

Attachment 510064
Attachment 510060

This is not the finished product, matter of fact it still is not finished as that gas meter was relocated outside now and the whole corner is torn down now, waiting for me to rebuild it.
The tunnel is not for the trains but for vehicles. The road goes nowhere.

Attachment 510062

This is an O scale table so my rock is fairly big, but I can pick it up to move it around. Your N scale mountain will be smaller.
I would try to find a way to make it portable back in there.

The red things Im not to sure of what they are but I like the way they look so said hey throw a few of those in there ! Yes it is very Random. Thats what we are going for. We are doing a little bit of a fictional build aimed toward cal pines. The tabacky worked well for all the mulch that is up there. WE may. I just wanted to do this piece for a sample. I actually am going to mimic all the burnt trees up in northern cali too as it has a "wasteland" effect. so the ground is going to be dark.

Thats really neat how your project turned out! I bet it took some patience. Good coloring too
Old 10-20-2019, 08:39 PM   #7
luvadj
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: N-Scale
Looks like a great start....me personally, I would ditch the berries, grind up the ground cover a bit finer

Visit my patio layout here:
https://djsroknrol.000webhostapp.com/patio layout.htm

Remember, there's no place like ~
luvadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:01 PM   #8
bl665
Hobo

Yes ! I know the berries are way to big. If I was thinking the same thing about the funny looking grass. I just have to have some self control and not smoke it after I grind it up. haha .

Ive been working on it and plan on posting some updates tonight. I got started soldering some of the track together and most of the road bed has been put down. I do however look at a few of the switch track areas I've created and wonder how the wiring would be. I know I'm going to be running bus wires for DCC. I'll have to post pics on this but my layout is basically a few loops. I don't "believe" I have any reversing track but I could be wrong. Anywho maybe ill map out a drawing and share it.

See yall later !
Old 10-22-2019, 12:45 AM   #9
bl665
Hobo

Here is an update. Im just putting some pieces together and re gaining my soldering skills. I was looking at the tracks earlier and was curious if I would run into a problem with the way i have the switches laid out. I am running DCC and dont want to run into any issues.

I attached my track plan ... hahah . I sort of came up with this track plan as i go. I know people will stink me out about it but its okay I just do things differently and this works for me.

The track plan though has black sharpie for lower level and blue for higher level. If you look at the one part of the track that goes off the benchwork ... dont worry. Im in the process of building a giant truss bridge that is going to fill the gap there.

here are the switch areas Im concerned with. This is the west (left on the trackplan) switch area

This is the East (right of track plan) switch area

and fun pictures lol

Yes I know the truck is a little big !! hahaha

Enjoy ! :smilie_daumen pos:
Old 10-22-2019, 07:04 PM   #10
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Well, I definitely see track joints that aren't well aligned, several kinks, and at least two S curves that may cause trouble. If you don't want any issues, smooth out the S curves and make sure your joints are solid and kink free. You're asking for trouble if you leave it the way it is.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote