First Layout- Not so Great - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Layout Design Forum
Forgotten your password?

Layout Design Forum Discussion resource for planning your dream layout, large, small or micro!

Old 04-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #11
waitin' 4 the train

Don't despair Jimben...it will come together.

Gary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 11:09 AM   #12
jimben
Conductor

Scales Modeled: On30
I bought more deciduous type trees. more vintage cars, signs, stop lights, gas pump, etc and it may make the layout look more realistic. I will post new pictures when new items arrive.
jimben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #13
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

You seem to be disappointed with your first try, but I don't think you really said why? Of course you can't expect to have a masterpiece on your first try, but as others have mentioned you will learn as you go. So the question is, what do you want to learn about first? What specific detail sticks out and bothers you the most?

If it's the track plan, what more do you want? Are you looking for more routes for the train to take? Industrial sidings to move cargo? Hills, tunnels, bridges?

If it's the buildings, what aspect is missing? Do you want the whole area to be a large city or do you want definition between urban and rural space? What is the reason for the buildings to be in the location they are in, and would they serve a more logical purpose being placed somewhere else or grouped together in a different way?

And finally, landscaping. This is the category that really brings out the definition of the different areas of your layout, but it's also the part that takes the longest to get 'just right'. Your landscape may include hills and mountains, forests and plains, food crops and abandoned lots. You've started out with basic green plywood, now what will make it better? If you're willing to take everything up again, a layer of even 1" thick foam gives you the option to dig down, such as giving depth to a river, or you can just paint one on the board and have bridges laying flat. Trees can be bought or made yourself and quickly add that third dimension. You also want to break up the green base, maybe using dirt or sand to create other areas around the layout. A big thing to remember about landscaping is to try and work from the ground up -- it's easy to paint another color on your plywood while it's bare, but after you add a forest of trees it becomes very difficult to change the ground color.

So yeah, most everyone starts out with a pretty simple layout. Just think about where you want to go next and how it will get you closer to what you are imagining.
Shdwdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #14
jimben
Conductor

Track layout and buildings are great. I will focus on landscaping.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:42 PM   #15
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimben View Post
Track layout and buildings are great. I will focus on landscaping.
Think about adding some relief to your terrain. NOTHING in nature is flat, and even a lot of man-made features really aren't either. Our world has hills, mountains, valleys, gullies, cliffs, gentle slopes, and just about everything else.

Lots of ways to do this. Pick one and give it a try (we're happy to recommend some if none come to mind, too).

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:00 PM   #16
jimben
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post
Think about adding some relief to your terrain. NOTHING in nature is flat, and even a lot of man-made features really aren't either. Our world has hills, mountains, valleys, gullies, cliffs, gentle slopes, and just about everything else.

Lots of ways to do this. Pick one and give it a try (we're happy to recommend some if none come to mind, too).
Good idea.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:26 PM   #17
Lemonhawk
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
Now's the time to try out some new ideas. Try revising how you lay track, try making rocks, expand your electrical knowledge. The more you learn what you like to do makes the next time easier. I took my old layout and removed all the flex track and used CV ties and plain rail, then started making my own turnouts, something I had never thought about, but turn out to be a great idea.
Lemonhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #18
jimben
Conductor

I bought two ponds with rocks at perimeter. I am getting there.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:31 AM   #19
sid
Engineer

Scales Modeled: N
looks great to me. great start an time to move tracks around in different lines . ive changed my mind 1000 times before i got settled , heck eeven now im still not settled on it. i want more hahahahahahahahahahah have fun and experiment a lot. yeppers
sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #20
jimben
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid View Post
looks great to me. great start an time to move tracks around in different lines . ive changed my mind 1000 times before i got settled , heck eeven now im still not settled on it. i want more hahahahahahahahahahah have fun and experiment a lot. yeppers
Only item I like is the track layout. Got a lot of landscape items, some more signs and traffic lights on its way plus two more 1/43 scale cars.