Yard ladder control panel - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Layout Design Forum
Forgotten your password?

Layout Design Forum Discussion resource for planning your dream layout, large, small or micro!

Old 05-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #11
lovin it
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: HO
Toggles go up or down and the LED will light for the direction of the switch.
lovin it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #12
tommy24a
Gang Labourer

So the turnout to the left of the far right one I see has green red green led. How does that switch work?

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
tommy24a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #13
cv_acr
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy24a View Post
So the switches must be oriented up or down or side to side?

Whatever makes sense to you and/or your operators.

Usually the toggles are installed so that it's obvious which direction it's throwing the turnout - i.e. if your diagram runs left-right, the toggle will throw up-down so that if the toggle is thrown to the top, the matching turnout should be thrown so the the train would go into the top track on the diagram. To route the train into the lower track, throw the toggle to the down position. (The position of the toggle is towards the track the turnout is routed for.)
cv_acr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #14
lovin it
Brakeman

It is a double crossover and out of sight to the left are two toggle switches that control which direction you want to go coming into the double crossover. If the train is coming in on the lower track and you want it to cross over to the top line then you throw the bottom toggle switch and the top red LED light will go on. If the train is coming in on the top line and you want it to go to the bottom line then throw the top toggle switch and the bottom red LED will light. Hope that helps.
lovin it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:03 PM   #15
Lemonhawk
Dispatcher

I would look closely at how you are going to use the yard and then see if you can use programmed routes. One push of a button and all the appropriate turnouts set to the desired position. Then you can use green LED's to highlight the route and red for everything else. much easier than having to manually scan to see it everything is right.
Lemonhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:19 PM   #16
tommy24a
Gang Labourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv_acr View Post
Whatever makes sense to you and/or your operators.

Usually the toggles are installed so that it's obvious which direction it's throwing the turnout - i.e. if your diagram runs left-right, the toggle will throw up-down so that if the toggle is thrown to the top, the matching turnout should be thrown so the the train would go into the top track on the diagram. To route the train into the lower track, throw the toggle to the down position. (The position of the toggle is towards the track the turnout is routed for.)
Thanks! Feel like an idiot asking all these questions...thanks again!

Old 05-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #17
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Route control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhawk View Post
I would look closely at how you are going to use the yard and then see if you can use programmed routes. One push of a button and all the appropriate turnouts set to the desired position. Then you can use green LED's to highlight the route and red for everything else. much easier than having to manually scan to see it everything is right.

Tommy24a;

Don't feel "like an idiot" for asking questions. We are here to help, and an actual idiot wouldn't know enough to ask questions. The fact that you are asking for help understanding something that is unfamiliar to you, shows that you are intelligent. not idiotic.

I strongly agree with Lemonhawk's suggestion above. I use route control for the yards on my layout. It does make things very easy, and it is simple enough that any visiting operator can understand and use it easily.

There have been many articles published in Model Railroader magazine about various route control circuits. Which circuit will suit your layout will depend on what type of switch machines you are using. If your turnouts are operated by twin-coil machines, like those made by Atlas and Peco, then push-buttons and a simple diode matrix will work. Use a capacitive discharge system (CDU) to protect the coils from burnout.

From the toggle switches in the prior responses, I assume that the panels shown control DC stall motors. If you use some DC stall motor, like a Tortoise machine, then the electronics can get more complicated. Some folks have used digital electronic sequencer circuits. I prefer a much simpler system that uses one rotary switch, a bunch of diodes, and a split, uneven voltage, power supply.
(see photos.) The one rotary switch controls all the motors needed to route the train onto the selected track. I didn't use LED panel indicators, since they weren't needed. The orange stripe on the knob makes it obvious which track has been selected. You could add LEDs if you want to. I like to keep things simple.
(By the way, the white panel on the left is not part of the track selection system. It controls the four sets of motorized doors, and the lights of the engine house above, and slightly to the left of that white control panel.)
I copied my route control method from a Model Railroader article. If you are interested, and are using DC motors to operate your turnouts, I can look it up and give you more information on the system I use.

have fun;

Traction Fan

Cedar Falls control panel.JPG

Cedar Falls motors & linkages.JPG

Last edited by traction fan; 05-09-2019 at 09:23 PM..
traction fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #18
tommy24a
Gang Labourer

Well quite a setup there....I do plan on the tortoise switch route...but at this point I will take what ever suggestions that anyone has into consideration...so far I have some small DPDT switches, bunch of bi color led's with holders. My grown Son and I are doing this layout and have plenty to learn. We have NCE power cab, and a 5 amp booster. We ran the buss wire and have it split into 3 different power zones each protected by a circuit breaker. Also have small feeder blocks to run feeder wire from. We just started the sub roadbed cookie cutter design.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:20 PM   #19
CTValleyRR
Train Master

I'm kind of late to the party, but I'f you haven't sunk any real money into this yet, you might want to look at the turnout control systems from Tam Valley Depot (my preferred supplier) or Walthers. They are essentially the same. A miniature servo motor drives the turnout points, and a selector push button activates it. Two LEDs are displayed: a green one for the selected route, and a red one for the non-selected route. This makes it super easy to visually see which route is selected, and because it's push button activated, you don't have to try to see which direction things need to be thrown.

Here is a picture of a control board made using the Tam Valley products.

IMG_20170101_203835348.jpg

And a close up of the mounted push button assembly.

You will have to excuse the rough nature of the track diagram. It was made by my then 10 year old son.

IMG_20170101_203847995.jpg

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:07 PM   #20
tommy24a
Gang Labourer

Interesting...I will definitely look into this. Thanks!