my new layout for next year - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Layout Design Forum
Forgotten your password?

Layout Design Forum Discussion resource for planning your dream layout, large, small or micro!

Old 07-01-2019, 09:30 PM   #1
sid
Engineer

Scales Modeled: N
my new layout for next year

if i can figger out this software grrrrrr ,,,,,, i love the fact that i can run a train on it while its on my computer . thats cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sids new room layout.jpg (542.5 KB, 8 views)
sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 09:57 PM   #2
MichaelE
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
I like it. What scale?

My only suggestions would be to use right hand turnouts for your yard ladder to eliminate the S curves, and at the bottom, bring that entry into the loop off of the yard ladder main into a smooth curve also eliminating the S curve.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #3
sid
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
I like it. What scale?

My only suggestions would be to use right hand turnouts for your yard ladder to eliminate the S curves, and at the bottom, bring that entry into the loop off of the yard ladder main into a smooth curve also eliminating the S curve.
N scale of coarse. i like the way the train wiggles through the turn outs s curves ect. gives it more action to me.. had a hard time putting it together .. nothing would fit right according to the program used.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:02 PM   #4
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid View Post
N scale of coarse. i like the way the train wiggles through the turn outs s curves ect. gives it more action to me.. had a hard time putting it together .. nothing would fit right according to the program used.
Well, yes, that's one of the drawbacks to sectional track.

It would be both cheaper and easier to use flex track instead of sectional pieces.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:33 PM   #5
sid
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post
Well, yes, that's one of the drawbacks to sectional track.

It would be both cheaper and easier to use flex track instead of sectional pieces.
ageed i like flex track too. BUT i love kato track it just works. hard to put together some times , but it works way less derails easyer to figger out why it derails IF one does. all around very good track... i do have some flex track an may use some on the new lay out where there is lots of straight ways... I finly got scarm figgered out with help of you tube videos. WEW . made some changes to next years layout added a siding inbetween tracks.
Ok so tell me what ya think an ideas on this new oneone side will be some sorta town the other industrail something er other ?? Things you would change besides the s turns things i like the way the trains move an wiggle through them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sids new room layout.jpg (75.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg snapshot.jpg (56.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-02-2019, 08:43 PM   #6
sid
Engineer

ok problem areas that im not fond of ... any imputs please
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sids new room layout.jpg (102.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #7
DonR
Train Master

I really like your basic track plan. A single track
main with several passing sidings affords lots of
continuous running with two (or more) trains going
clockwise AND counter clockwise. (assuming that
you are running DC).

You have a few spurs for industries...there's room
for more. I like to think SMALL railroad users such
as Oil distributors, sand and rock sellers, small
food distributor, Furniture and appliance distributors,
power plants and the like. You could have more than
one on a spur resulting in the need to do some
creative switching. Also make one or more of your
yard spurs as loco service area with fuel tanks and
sand pits.

The location of the 'town' is perfect, the railroad simply
running around it. Nice scenic opportunities.

Don
DonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:54 PM   #8
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Well, I'll have to differ with you on flex track vs Kato. If you have more derailments with flex track, then you're not bring careful enough when you lay it, and you're creating kinks and overly tight curves.

You're in N scale, so you're probably all right, but do you have enough room to gain the elevation needed for the over / under in the upper left using a reasonable grade (2% or less)?

I think the reason you don't like those two areas of your plan is because they look rigid and unnatural. Here again, flex track would allow you to get a much more natural appearance. You can kind of get the same effect by using a short curve segment after the diverging leg of the turnouts.

Also, if it were me, I'd take the outer track of that dogbone and run it all the way around the layout, giving you a double-tracked main.

I'm also not a big fan of the stub-ended yard inside the curve. It looks too cramped. I would move the through track on the right side of the yard as far right as you can, bring the other through track right next to it, and flip your stub tracks to the left side of that track.

Some curved turnouts would also help smooth out a lot of the awkward areas, but those aren't offered in Unitrack, as far as I know.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:45 PM   #9
telltale
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: N / HO
I don't think anyone has brought this up..You have no connection to the outer world/other RRs..How did that B&O coal hopper get on your RR ?..How will you send those 3 reefers of strawberries across the country ? Unless you plan to be a completely isolated RR you need an interchange track leading off the edge of the benchwork depicting this. If you find a way to have this track where you can treat it as a staging track, you can remove and replace cars on/off the layout. That will lend credibility to the foreign cars/your cars on/off your RR..The straight track to far right of industries could descend under the 2 looped mains into a tunnel and continue round to in front of but below the industries then dead end as your staging. This of course can split into several holding tracks, too..
telltale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:49 AM   #10
sid
Engineer

well ive redrawn the whole shabang .i like this one better , but i think im going to change it so both tracks run all the way insted of going nto one track. , i just want to get something drwn up that will stick. because this will be semi permanent and long time building. 1 criteria i have is i have to use what i have. i like flex track , but i dont like having to do all that balisting ect. i did build a small layout with all flex trak once, it was fun , but i had a lot of bugs to work out, i dont like bugs an i dont like there turn outs either. i like simple easy an just works.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SID TOWN.jpg (124.9 KB, 4 views)