Update 7/20/19 #1 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > N Scale
Forgotten your password?

N Scale Atlas, Life-Like, Graham Farish, Micro-Trains, Minitrix and other N scale discussion.

Old 07-20-2019, 03:37 PM   #1
GNfan
Engineer

Scales Modeled: N
West Update 7/20/19 #1

OK, OK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic1.jpg (215.2 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
GNfan
Engineer

Edit: I started this new thread by mistake. I thought I was merely adding an Advanced post to my "My New Project" thread. But now that I've started this one, let's continue with this one. I added a link to this thread should somebody start with the old one.

Update 7/20 #2
With the new paper cutter and a tool called a brayer; my son and I were able to lay out my basic design on my art board with construction paper and a whole lotta' tape. Then I laid out my structures. I put in propane tanks and outhouses, but I think they will make the green belt too cluttered when I add the trees and street lights. The streetlights themselves are too top-heavy to sit still without either gluing or weighting the bases. I've decided I like the funny little shed with a cupola as the well house; and I left out the Trading Post until I get brave enough to try to paint it. Right now, the building in the corner between the 3 cabins and the two cottages is my Woodland Scenics "Work Shed" only because it has long enough eaves to shelter two of my vending machines. I put the other phone shed next to it as an emergency phone for the guests.

A lot (model railroading-wise) has happened today: my hobbylinc.com order came early; I ordered a small board from Amazon, and I'm having a serious reality check (with episodes of despair) over trees. But I've typed all I can for now. Be back later.

Last edited by GNfan; 07-20-2019 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: added Edit
GNfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:52 PM   #3
GNfan
Engineer

7/20 Update #3: Hey, guess what? For <$2.00 I ordered 6"x6" Art Board from Amazon. The first person to correctly guess what it's for gets . . . absolutely nothing! Stay tuned for hints.

My hobbylinc.com order came. I should have ordered the bears in HO. The HO potted plants are tall, but I don't think the pots themselves are too big for outdoors in N scale. The grass scenery mat is a better shade of green, and the "Desert Sand" mat looks like . . . sandpaper. The 7-Up vending machines are tiny but will make a nice detail with my ice machines, and the Atlas pallets go with my forklift. The HO Model Power street lights are my second set of them.

Hint #1: It goes with something I bought by mistake.

As I noted on the "Beginner Q&A" forum; I was surprised to discover just how delicate model railroad trees are. After asking for suggestions and the reading the directions (what a concept!) I decided getting a bottle of the Woodland Scenics product they recommend is a good excuse for another hobbylinc.com order. Another thing I noticed is that some of the trees have a base about the size of a penny, while others (the fancier ones) just have a little thingie that you're supposed to stick in a 1/8" dia. hole, and then the tree trunk fits on a long pin that comes out of the thingie. The problem is that the thingie is longer than my board is thick. So I'm going to be using the ones with bases. I believe they come apart as well, so it's a matter of hiding the bases under the grass mat. Which means in addition to a bottle of Woodland Scenics' spray glue to hold the leaves better, I need 4 more trees. Probably the orange trees and say they're peaches.

Hint #2: It also goes with one of my new tools.

Ok, so I need a spray bottle of "Scenic Cement" and the set of four orange trees. And I do want the HO black bears. I'll use the standing HO one vs. Yeti, the N adults as her cubs, and one of the HO adults as sasquatch's friend. I still need to find a solution to where my vending machines go. I'm going to order the N scale Tomytec "Outdoor Pavilions". I googled the Tomy part # and didn't find any assembly instructions, so I assume they're not a kit; and they seem to come with some outdoor furniture. The description says "pack of 2", so the other can be an awning over Ma's doghouse. It comes to ~$50.00 w/ s&h. I'll talk with the CFO.

Give up? The item I bought by mistake was the "Summer Grass" mat, and the new tool is my brayer. What's a brayer? It's a rubber roller on a handle. Look it up on Amazon. And the answer is . . . it's going to be a test of whether I can use my brayer to help stick scenery mat to an art board, or whether my brayer will crush it. And then I'm going to try sticking a couple of cast resin structures I'm not planning to use to it. If I've got to go to the "moisten and scrape" method illustrated in that video to get my structures to stick I want to spray my board gray first so it looks like my structures are on concrete pads. Otherwise, they're on pier blocks hidden by the siding or skirting.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:50 PM   #4
traction fan
Station Master

West Tougher trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNfan View Post
7/20 Update #3: Hey, guess what? For <$2.00 I ordered 6"x6" Art Board from Amazon. The first person to correctly guess what it's for gets . . . absolutely nothing! Stay tuned for hints.

My hobbylinc.com order came. I should have ordered the bears in HO. The HO potted plants are tall, but I don't think the pots themselves are too big for outdoors in N scale. The grass scenery mat is a better shade of green, and the "Desert Sand" mat looks like . . . sandpaper. The 7-Up vending machines are tiny but will make a nice detail with my ice machines, and the Atlas pallets go with my forklift. The HO Model Power street lights are my second set of them.

Hint #1: It goes with something I bought by mistake.

As I noted on the "Beginner Q&A" forum; I was surprised to discover just how delicate model railroad trees are. After asking for suggestions and the reading the directions (what a concept!) I decided getting a bottle of the Woodland Scenics product they recommend is a good excuse for another hobbylinc.com order. Another thing I noticed is that some of the trees have a base about the size of a penny, while others (the fancier ones) just have a little thingie that you're supposed to stick in a 1/8" dia. hole, and then the tree trunk fits on a long pin that comes out of the thingie. The problem is that the thingie is longer than my board is thick. So I'm going to be using the ones with bases. I believe they come apart as well, so it's a matter of hiding the bases under the grass mat. Which means in addition to a bottle of Woodland Scenics' spray glue to hold the leaves better, I need 4 more trees. Probably the orange trees and say they're peaches.

Hint #2: It also goes with one of my new tools.

Ok, so I need a spray bottle of "Scenic Cement" and the set of four orange trees. And I do want the HO black bears. I'll use the standing HO one vs. Yeti, the N adults as her cubs, and one of the HO adults as sasquatch's friend. I still need to find a solution to where my vending machines go. I'm going to order the N scale Tomytec "Outdoor Pavilions". I googled the Tomy part # and didn't find any assembly instructions, so I assume they're not a kit; and they seem to come with some outdoor furniture. The description says "pack of 2", so the other can be an awning over Ma's doghouse. It comes to ~$50.00 w/ s&h. I'll talk with the CFO.

Give up? The item I bought by mistake was the "Summer Grass" mat, and the new tool is my brayer. What's a brayer? It's a rubber roller on a handle. Look it up on Amazon. And the answer is . . . it's going to be a test of whether I can use my brayer to help stick scenery mat to an art board, or whether my brayer will crush it. And then I'm going to try sticking a couple of cast resin structures I'm not planning to use to it. If I've got to go to the "moisten and scrape" method illustrated in that video to get my structures to stick I want to spray my board gray first so it looks like my structures are on concrete pads. Otherwise, they're on pier blocks hidden by the siding or skirting.
GNfan;

You're right about model trees, at least a lot of them. They are delicate. Woodland Scenics makes some with bendable plastic trunks which are quite sturdy. I don't care for the looks of their conifer kits with this type of trunk, but they are sturdy. They also offer deciduous trees with the same type of sturdy plastic trunk. I model the Pacific Northwest, hence I need lots and lots of conifers. Buying that many would quickly bankrupt me, so I make my own. One feature I wanted in any trees I spent lots of my time making, was durability. I use cheap paintbrushes, with flexible plastic handles, for trunks. The foliage is made from 3M Scotchbrite scrubbing pads, which are also flexible plastic. The trees made this way are tough enough to withstand handling, or even some mishandling. The pdf file just below the left side of the photo shows how I made the conifer trees shown in the photo.

regards;

Traction Fan

trees 2.JPG

Paintbrush Pine Trees.pdf
Old 07-22-2019, 06:18 PM   #5
sid
Engineer

Thats awesome traction fan . really cool how those are made. Thanks for posting. Those look real good.
sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:46 AM   #6
GNfan
Engineer

7/22 Reality Check: If my scene is supposed to be Eastern Washington in the early 1960's, the trees probably wouldn't be there yet. Maybe the apple trees as what's left of an old orchard, but that's probably all. There is a JTT Scenery product that looks about right for Eastern Washington scrub steppe, but its $8+ for a 5"x7" sheet. I might get one of the green ones and plant the apple trees in it some day; But for now, "the joke" is that there actually isn't any shade at the ShadyLane Trailer Park. The green grass border is probably also unrealistic; but I've got two sheets of it, so I'm going to use it.

traction_fan, those are nice trees, and they do look like Western Washington did back in the days of your layout. Last time I was there (last summer), "Pugetopolis" runs from Marysville to somewhere around Fort Lewis and east to North Bend. Not a lot of natural trees left.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #7
traction fan
Station Master

West Wrong trees

Quote:
7/22 Reality Check: If my scene is supposed to be Eastern Washington in the early 1960's, the trees probably wouldn't be there yet. Maybe the apple trees as what's left of an old orchard, but that's probably all. There is a JTT Scenery product that looks about right for Eastern Washington scrub steppe, but its $8+ for a 5"x7" sheet. I might get one of the green ones and plant the apple trees in it some day; But for now, "the joke" is that there actually isn't any shade at the ShadyLane Trailer Park. The green grass border is probably also unrealistic; but I've got two sheets of it, so I'm going to use it.

traction_fan, those are nice trees, and they do look like Western Washington did back in the days of your layout. Last time I was there (last summer), "Pugetopolis" runs from Marysville to somewhere around Fort Lewis and east to North Bend. Not a lot of natural trees left.
GNfan;

Yes, I see what you mean. Eastern Washington is a lot different, I've read. Some farms, some deserts, and no dense conifer forests. I've been to Portland, Oregon more recently than Seattle, Washington, and (at least western) Oregon still seems to have plenty of forests. Also it seems like a lot of the residents have large conifer trees in their suburban yards, & communities. Maybe they saved some of the big trees, and built around them? I remember visiting a sister-in-law in Kent, WA. and she had a giant fir tree in her yard too.
For apple trees you might consider a trick used on my old club's layout, which was set in Southern California. They wanted to model a commercial orange grove. The model deciduous tress were pretty conventional items, twig trunks with W/S foliage. They used the "tiny time pills" from Contact brand cold capsules for oranges. The "orange trees" looked pretty good, and were quite popular with visitors. The orchard also provided a logical customer to fill some of the P.F.E. refers on the layout. With red, yellow, or green fruit, the same technique could be used for an apple orchard. Or, for your time period, maybe a few apples on one tree, and some dead apple trees?

regards;

Traction Fan
Old 07-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #8
GNfan
Engineer

West My inspiration

The attached photo is Desert Aire, WA, a "planned community" in the middle of nowhere. It was started in the late 1960's, and is in the same general area as the Milwaukee Road's bridge across the Columbia River.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg residentialdesertaire2[1].jpg (275.7 KB, 68 views)
Old 07-24-2019, 04:50 PM   #9
traction fan
Station Master

West I see

Quote:
The attached photo is Desert Aire, WA, a "planned community" in the middle of nowhere. It was started in the late 1960's, and is in the same general area as the Milwaukee Road's bridge across the Columbia River.
Yup! That looks like the middle of nowhere all right! I,m not familiar with the bridge across the Columbia.

regards;

Traction Fan
Old 07-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #10
GNfan
Engineer

West Let's try this instead

OK, this should look more like the paradise I call home. I've got the Desert Sand mat and I'm going to use the vacuum cleaner on my apple trees to make a "former orchard". I ordered from hobbylinc.com the JTT mats (which are described as HO ), a fence kit that is prototypical for here, and those Tomy open-air tents to use as awnings since I don't have shade trees anymore. Now I need to go over to Fifer Hobby - they have some truly derelict vehicles from Model Tech Studios, and the "back 40" needs more than some dead trees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg board3.jpg (176.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by GNfan; 07-24-2019 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: fixed map
GNfan is offline   Reply With Quote