Engine rus backward only - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > N Scale
Forgotten your password?

N Scale Atlas, Life-Like, Graham Farish, Micro-Trains, Minitrix and other N scale discussion.

Old 08-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #21
sid
Engineer

Scales Modeled: N
ohhhh another layout build , waiting waiting hahahahahahah we need pics man lots of them hahahahahaha
sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #22
prrfan
Conductor

Scales Modeled: HO
Cork vs. foam roadbed: It’s really a matter of personal preference. Either one works fine.
prrfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:14 PM   #23
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I just replied should be "realized"
You know you can edit your own posts, right?

Look at your post -- there should be an "Edit" button in the lower right corner. You can edit up to an hour or so after you post, and there will be no trace of the edit; after that, there is a note at the bottom of your post that you edited it. You can include a reason if you want.

Anyway, we're always glad to help a newcomer get up and running. Once you think you know what kind of a track plan you're going to put in that loft, post a sketch of it, and we can give you some pointers on what might cause trouble, or what might work better.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2019, 10:06 PM   #24
Stephen
Hobo

Thanks for the board advice CT

Here is my genesis. Everything works fine...except the link from my iPhone using the Bach. DCC app. Simply no connection...???!

Notice the noisy Bach. Fast track in the background....and the Bach. starter kit engine the works fine. DC only- can I dd a decoder? See fotos below.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:07 PM   #25
Stephen
Hobo

prrfan -- which do you prefer for longevity?
Old 08-24-2019, 10:10 PM   #26
Stephen
Hobo

Fotos

I meant to attach the photo to my Genisis comment:
Genisis.jpg
Old 08-24-2019, 10:18 PM   #27
Stephen
Hobo

Forum protocol

Guess I need to learn how to post a simple jpg
Old 08-25-2019, 07:48 AM   #28
prrfan
Conductor

Quote:
prrfan -- which do you prefer for longevity?
I personally have not used foam but other members have and from what I remember they seem to like it. Both should be durable for the long term.

I had a cork roadbed layout for about 5 years and it was fine. If you take the time to lay track carefully the layout should be good for a long while.
The members who have foam roadbed can probably give you more details on it.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:57 AM   #29
prrfan
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post
Quote:
I just replied should be "realized"
You know you can edit your own posts, right?

Look at your post -- there should be an "Edit" button in the lower right corner. You can edit up to an hour or so after you post, and there will be no trace of the edit; after that, there is a note at the bottom of your post that you edited it. You can include a reason if you want.

Anyway, we're always glad to help a newcomer get up and running. Once you think you know what kind of a track plan you're going to put in that loft, post a sketch of it, and we can give you some pointers on what might cause trouble, or what might work better.
I noticed the OP mentioned something about an iPhone. If you are posting on an iPhone the editing process is different.

If you look at your post there is a square in the upper right hand corner. Click that square and it will bring up some different icons. The pencil icon will allow you to edit the post.
I noticed that there are a lot of differences between devices when using this forum. It’s easier with a desk top or lap top than it is with a phone.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:45 PM   #30
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Decent space

Quote:
P.S. I was wondering where I would have the space for a good layout.....I just replied my tenant is moving out of the studio apt. above my garage --- so after cleanup the real build begins---planning and 8 x 8 layout freestyle.

Stephen;

Eight feet by eight feet is a decent sized space for a layout. In fact some forum members would be jealous, since they have less space.

Here are some things to consider as you plan your layout.

Your profile doesn't mention what area of the country, and therefore what sort of climate, you live in.
A space above a garage can be blistering hot in summer, and freezing cold in winter. Since you had a tenant living there, I'm assuming you have heat, and air conditioning, up there, so temperature may not be a concern.
Humidity can also be a problem with a model railroad. A lot of it is made of wood, and wood warps in a humid environment. Again, this depends on where you are, and what the local weather conditions are. If you do have high humidity, as in the Southeastern U.S.A., then you may need a dehumidifier, at least in the winter, when you won't be running the air conditioner. You can also build some "warp proofing" into your layout by making all the wood pieces as 'L'-girders, rather than just flat planks. Painting all the wood also helps keep moisture out. The files I sent you describe how to make an 'L'-girder. It's basically a wooden version of an "angle iron."

Once you have the indoor climate stabilized, and adequate lighting (again, this is likely to already be in place.) The next thing to consider is how to best use the space you have.

The very common 4'x 8' train table would take up half your space, and be difficult to move, when you had to clean the track at the back side. It's not practical to lean over a 4' deep table to put a train back on the track, clean the rails, etc. These fun chores will come up much more often than you might suppose!

I recommend an around-the-walls shelf layout, no more than 2' deep. That way you will have the option of continuous running, and will still be able to reach everything easily. You might consider mounting this layout near your seated eyeball height. That way you can have a realistic, "trackside" view of passing trains, while seated in a rolling office chair, and by simply standing up, be able to reach anything that needs attention.
This around-the-room shelf configuration will be especially appropriate If the garage roof slope reduces the ceiling height near the edges of the room. Working bent over is no fun at all!

I don't know if you have read the files I sent you yet, but they contain a lot of information about building such a shelf layout.
One feature I strongly recommend, for any model railroad, regardless of shape, is sectional construction.
Apart from the obvious advantage of being able to take your railroad with you, if/when you move to another home, sections will be easier to work on as well. The files explain these factors too.

I'm also going to suggest that you consider getting away from that Bachmann EZ-track, and using flex track for your garage layout. EZ-track is expensive, has limited curve radii available, and the EZ-track turnouts (track switches) have a very poor reputation for reliability, and they are also very expensive.

Good luck. Have fun! Ask any questions that come up.

Tags
4-6-0 timer , dcc , reverse running