My 312 PRR K5 will run soon. - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 08-30-2019, 08:59 AM   #1
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
My 312 PRR K5 will run soon.

Probably 2 years ago I bought a 312 with issues. And sadly I have done little with it. It was cheap, 37.00. I believe it to be a 1946,
It has slotted brushes and a broke off square stud for the eccentric linkage. Jeff Kane had a wheel with a good stud for 4.00.
I was going to convert the slotted brushes to shouldered brushes just so all my steamers would use the same brushes. So it would need a new brush cap and maybe a different armature. The 312 had been in storage since 1952, so she was stiff. It has good paint so worth some work. Earlier this year I tried pulling the bad wheel
with the 2 screw driver method. Instead of the wheel coming off it started pulling the axle out of a good wheel. Last night I ran across a running K5 chassis on ebay. Actually the seller had 3 running K5 chassis. All different. One had nice pulmor wheels but a round stud, which would not work. Any way I bought one. Seller says it runs well. Seller was BigGameBoy. I have bought parts from him before. He is a good honest seller. It has no smoke unit or choochoo but I can move those from my unit. Comes with nice male and female plugs. And of coarse a motor.
No pulmor on one I bought. My K5 has pulmor but tires are very dry and bad cracks. I thought all K5s had pulmor but maybe not. Should be able to get my K5 running now.

Here is a question for flyernut. Is a K5 chassis different than a Pacific chassis?
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
flyernut
Yard Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac View Post
Probably 2 years ago I bought a 312 with issues. And sadly I have done little with it. It was cheap, 37.00. I believe it to be a 1946,
It has slotted brushes and a broke off square stud for the eccentric linkage. Jeff Kane had a wheel with a good stud for 4.00.
I was going to convert the slotted brushes to shouldered brushes just so all my steamers would use the same brushes. So it would need a new brush cap and maybe a different armature. The 312 had been in storage since 1952, so she was stiff. It has good paint so worth some work. Earlier this year I tried pulling the bad wheel
with the 2 screw driver method. Instead of the wheel coming off it started pulling the axle out of a good wheel. Last night I ran across a running K5 chassis on ebay. Actually the seller had 3 running K5 chassis. All different. One had nice pulmor wheels but a round stud, which would not work. Any way I bought one. Seller says it runs well. Seller was BigGameBoy. I have bought parts from him before. He is a good honest seller. It has no smoke unit or choochoo but I can move those from my unit. Comes with nice male and female plugs. And of coarse a motor.
No pulmor on one I bought. My K5 has pulmor but tires are very dry and bad cracks. I thought all K5s had pulmor but maybe not. Should be able to get my K5 running now.

Here is a question for flyernut. Is a K5 chassis different than a Pacific chassis?
It depends on the year Al. The early units with the reverse in the boiler has a different head-light set-up, etc. Units with the reverse in the tender have the head-light on the boiler face but that's about the only differences.. A later 312 chassis is the same as a 290, etc... And of course, any problems with the 312 send it out to me, shipping both ways only...Loren...PS.. get yourself a wheel puller. The 2 screwdriver method works, but sometimes the axle will pull out of the good wheel,lol, like what happened to you...PSS. I too have bought parts from BigGameBoy, and never had a problem, very good seller.
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:35 PM   #3
flyguy55
Brakeman

Got a nice running smokin 312 SIB on the for sale forum,,,actually it is a whole set.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2307.jpg (96.4 KB, 84 views)
flyguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2019, 12:21 AM   #4
AFGP9
Conductor

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
Very nice set, flyguy55.
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:08 AM   #5
teledoc
Super Moderator

Scales Modeled: Postwar/Prewar tinplate "O" scale
I just have one comment about Biggameboy, which (good Seller) is he said he doesn’t tear locos apart, to individual parts. Baloney, as he is maximizing his end profit. I don’t mind it, but don’t lie to me, when questioned. Yes, I have dealt with him numerous times.

"Prewar Tinplate fanatic”

Newly Appointed "Tinplate Wizard"
"The man behind the curtain????"
teledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:41 AM   #6
mopac
Station Master

I don't know where or how he gets his parts. He might canalblize Locomotives. I am not fond of that practice either. At what he sells his parts for he is not coming out that great. I bought a running chassis, all that was left was a smoke unit, a shell, and the tender.
I paid him 30.00 and a complete 312 would bring roughly 70.00. The other parts would/might get him above 70.00 but not enough to be worth all that extra shipping and such. At least to me.

Last edited by mopac; 09-01-2019 at 07:19 AM..
Old 09-01-2019, 06:42 AM   #7
flyernut
Yard Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledoc View Post
I just have one comment about Biggameboy, which (good Seller) is he said he doesn’t tear locos apart, to individual parts. Baloney, as he is maximizing his end profit. I don’t mind it, but don’t lie to me, when questioned. Yes, I have dealt with him numerous times.
He sure does tear engines apart, otherwise where would he get all those parts,lol!!.. There's a difference between him and us; to him it's a business, to us it's a labor of love....
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:38 AM   #8
mopac
Station Master

His service has come in handy a few times. His parts is what got my 282 running great.
I got my 282 in 1955 used and since 1959 it ran very hot and at half speed. I can run the snot out of it now and it does not even get warm.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:57 PM   #9
dooper
Brakeman

The more engines that are used for parts results in one less engine in the marketplace. So, if he sells parts from one 302, there will only be 499,999 left whole, thus making ours more valuable. (LOL)
dooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:57 AM   #10
mopac
Station Master

My 312 will not be running soon. Got my running chassis. It is not going to help much.
Pictures were not good enough for me to see a cracked whitewall and shortly after removing loco from shipping box one of the driver wheels just fell off of axle. So it is out of quartering. Will try to eyeball it. First time disappointed in item from BigGameBoy. He offered me 2 different wheels. Kinda done with him. This 312 might be jinxed. So I got a good motor and some wheels and a frame out of purchase. Not a total loss but not what I expected.