small or medium turnouts - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:39 PM   #1
foreverautistic
Hobo

USA small or medium turnouts

i am using peco HO code 100 tracks DCC i need to buy my turnouts for my railyard shuold i use small or medium turnouts?
foreverautistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 05:44 PM   #2
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Depends on how long the cars and locos that run through it are going to be. Things up to about 50 scale feet will be ok on the small turnouts; anything longer, go for the mediums. All else being equal, the broader your curves and higher your frog #s, the better.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:52 PM   #3
foreverautistic
Hobo

i will go with medium then to be on safe side
thank you for replying

Old 09-13-2019, 07:01 PM   #4
mesenteria
Dispatcher

Good response and wise decision.

I like to add a little future consideration to my replies. Often newcomers can't wait to get their tracks down so they can run the few items of rolling stock on it. The problem comes a year later, often only a few months, when they're bitten hard and running hard in the hobby; they want a new engine, often a bigger one, and maybe run some long passenger cars. That's when they learn that their initial choices and design that led to them were...ummm….short-sighted. A great way to go at the time, to be sure, but there was no consideration for eventualities.

All this to say, when planning a layout, don't just plan for whatcha brung. You'll expand in a way, and at some point you'll find you failed to consider future acquisitions and changes in interest. So, as our advisor CTValley wisely added, always 'go big' when you can, and do it BEFORE you realize you've painted yourself into the proverbial corner. Use wider curves, larger frog numbers, whenever you can.
mesenteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:42 PM   #5
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Peco "medium" turnouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverautistic View Post
i am using peco HO code 100 tracks DCC i need to buy my turnouts for my railyard shuold i use small or medium turnouts?

foreverautistic;

I agree with CTValley's recommendation of medium turnouts rather than small. Also you have made a good choice by going with Peco. They are excellent quality, and very reliable turnouts.

Here's some more information on turnouts.

All AboutTurnouts rev 4.pdf

Traction Fan
Old 09-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
Murv2
Brakeman

Also depends on how long your yard can be. MIne is five tracks wide and the last is half the length of the first.
Murv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:07 PM   #7
DonR
Train Master

I used only the Peco Insulfrog small turnouts on my layout, never
a problem even with my 70 foot passenger cars in
the yards. However, I only used 4 wheel truck locos.

The amount of space you have for your yards is a major
factor in your selection.

Don
DonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #8
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Yard design

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonR View Post
I used only the Peco Insulfrog small turnouts on my layout, never
a problem even with my 70 foot passenger cars in
the yards. However, I only used 4 wheel truck locos.

The amount of space you have for your yards is a major
factor in your selection.

Don
foreverautistic;

I'm going to somewhat disagree with DonR on this one.
First, I rarely disagree with Don, since he's very smart.
Second, knowing how reliable Peco turnouts are, I have no reason to doubt Don's favorable results with the smaller turnouts.

Where I differ is in yard design. I believe in very conservative, and very simple, "yard ladders." (the string of turnouts at the entrance/exit of a yard) Since strings of cars are routinely pushed backward in a yard, I think that's where we want to have the easiest path possible, to every track, to minimise the odds of a derailment.
"Easiest", in this case means larger frog number turnouts. (medium instead of small) and a simple yard ladder arrangement where a backing train only has to make one turn, to reach any track in the yard.
The length of yard tracks can be increased, a little, by shortening the yard ladder. This can be done by using "compound ladder" arrangements, or strings of turnouts that make a train veer first one way. and then the other, in virtual "reverse curves. I don't favor this approach.
Where I needed a shorter yard ladder, I built one with one turnout overlapping another. (I build my own turnouts anyway, so for me, this was no big deal.) If you prefer to buy, rather than build, Micro Engineering sells a commercial compact ladder in HO-scale. Their ladder uses #5 turnouts which would fall between "small" and "medium" in Peco's terms. Micro engineering turnouts are a very close second to Peco in overall quality so if the length of your yard ladder is an issue on your layout, then the M/E compact yard ladder may be something to look at.
Keeping things as simple as possible, along with the previous advice to "go big" whenever you can, will ultimately pay off in reliable operation.

Traction Fan
Old 09-14-2019, 08:53 PM   #9
SantaFeJim
Engineer

Scales Modeled: O & HO
Play it safe and go with Peco #6.

My layout is being build with Peco #8 for ALL turnouts. My largest steam locomotive is a BLI 4-8-4 Northern. It will go forward and backwards thru ALL my turnouts with no problems.

SantaFeJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #10
foreverautistic
Hobo

USA deleted

post deleted

Last edited by foreverautistic; 09-15-2019 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: deleted post