Glue recommendations... - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > General Model Train Discussion
Forgotten your password?

General Model Train Discussion Mostly anything goes, especially train related!

Old 09-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #1
Severn
Engineer

Glue recommendations...

So what glue do you use to repair your broken plastic parts on your models (or add on items). I've been using super glue and I'm not super happy. (So mostly plastic to plastic but experience with other material combinations and glue of interest if you feel like writing...)
Severn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2019, 08:50 PM   #2
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
Well, Tester's Plastic Cement is good for stuff like Styrene and ABS. For windows, I use Tester's Clear Parts Cement.

For heavy duty jobs, I use either JB-Weld or Loctite 380.
gunrunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:52 PM   #3
mesenteria
Dispatcher

Anything with methyl-ethyl-ketone (MEK). That includes model glues, the goop known as 'solvent cement' used to seal built-in vacuum tubes to each other, for sealing ABS and PVC. Even lacquer thinner often has a bit of MEK in it. I know one modeler who often uses lacquer thinner to assemble his styrene kits.
mesenteria is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2019, 08:53 PM   #4
MichaelE
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
I depends upon whether it is a break or a part just fell off. I used to lose a lot of boarding handrails from passenger coaches until I started gluing them on with just a small touch of liquid plastic cement. Press fit isn't all it's cracked up to be.

For broken parts with no mating hole or other attachment point I usually use the tiniest amount of Cryo glue, at least until it sets. Then, depending upon the part I might go over that with a tiny amount of plastic model cement on a 000 brush for a permanent bond.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:38 AM   #5
Severn
Engineer

Tester's plastic cement -- duh. I remember that (really smelly) stuff! I think I can nab some at AC Moore which has a small hobby model section.

Anyway, basically I keep yanking parts off these small HO models. But I also have an O-scale MTH SD70 ace where the outer walk way around the main engine "bay" is coming up ... be good to glue that back down.

I'll keep the others in mind for big jobs [for example a cracked shell because of floor drop -- its coming, I know it!].

This is small job stuff right now.

So in other cases I haven't gotten around to breaking something, instead there are press fit or minimally glued at the factory items on these HO models, and perhaps a tiny dab of something to make them stickier would be nice.

(or just permanently glued but I can think of one items that covers a screw hole when installed... that i might in theory want to get back off at some pt...)
Severn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #6
Stumpy
Engineer

Gorilla Super Glue or Super Glue Gel. Bonds almost anything.

www.gorillatough.com/for-repairs/

Zap Thin if I need it to run or leach into cracks.

www.zapglue.com
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:04 PM   #7
MichaelE
Dispatcher

I gave found the Loc-tite products perform better than the Gorilla glue variety. There are also many different formulations of the Loc-tite products.