MTH DCS hand held - Page 7 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 10-19-2019, 05:34 AM   #61
seayakbill
Station Master

I have yet to convert the layout to WIFI but it looks like that is what the future holds. I have 2 DCS controllers, one only a few months old so I should be able to hold out for awhile.

Bill
seayakbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2019, 09:14 AM   #62
beachhead2
Conductor

Scales Modeled: O, Std. Gauge
I'm in the same situation. The irony for me is I started out thinking the remote was stupid. I agree that the app and touch screen are much better for the advanced features. No question. It's much easier. And it makes more sense for MTH as a company.

But when it comes to simple operations: throttle/brake, horn, whistle, bell (which is the vast majority of what I do), the remote is better. Oh well.
beachhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #63
Paul Kallus
Brakeman

Yeah, the DCS remote is a "middle-way" of operating MTH trains.

I know there's still lots of people who operate conventionally - and I respect that for its ease of operations, and others at the Smart device app-end, and while I understand that appeal, its not on my horizon as far as I can see.

Hopefully my DCS remotes will hold-out for some years...and hopefully I will, too
Paul Kallus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #64
bigdodgetrain
Conductor

Scales Modeled: O gauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead2 View Post
In the latest episode of Notch 6 podcast, Andy Edleman addresses the issue in depth (for about 5 minutes). It begins about 48:00 mark.
I believe you missed the point
"They will make several hundred remotes, but that’s it."
bigdodgetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #65
Chugman
Engineer

I admit that I have not read all the posts on this subject, but want to just add my two cents worth.

I was late to the party regarding running my trains with my phone or tablet. I was waiting for the MTH app to support running my TMCC and Legacy engines. After installing wi-fi modules on my three TIU's, I can now run all my MTH, Legacy, and TMCC engines with my handheld of choice. I have the old original TMCC handheld, a Legacy handheld, and three MTH handhelds.

So what do I like to run my trains with? My phone or my tablet, no contest! I have always disliked the MTH thumb wheel and finding all the features 'hidden" in the menus on the handheld was difficult at best. Everything is easier to find, run, understand, and use.

My analogy is that I could never go back to using a dial, corded phone after having a modern wireless smart phone. The same is true for the enjoyment of running my trains.

Art
Chugman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #66
beachhead2
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdodgetrain View Post
I believe you missed the point
"They will make several hundred remotes, but that’s it."
No, I absolutely get it. And I bet they sell those several hundred to a bunch of guys like me who want (yet another) back-up. Listen to what Edleman says. He's moved on. The remote is dead as fried chicken.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #67
beachhead2
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chugman View Post
So what do I like to run my trains with? My phone or my tablet, no contest! I have always disliked the MTH thumb wheel and finding all the features 'hidden" in the menus on the handheld was difficult at best. Everything is easier to find, run, understand, and use.
I absolutely agree about the menu features. I will be joining you but not until these remotes die!
Old 10-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #68
bigdodgetrain
Conductor

Scales Modeled: O gauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead2 View Post
No, I absolutely get it. And I bet they sell those several hundred to a bunch of guys like me who want (yet another) back-up. Listen to what Edleman says. He's moved on. The remote is dead as fried chicken.
making only several hundred when several thousand have probably been ordered is going to make a lot of people upset.

I know someone who ordered 6.
bigdodgetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:59 PM   #69
Jeff T
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: Nothing modeled, O gauge trains though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chugman View Post

My analogy is that I could never go back to using a dial, corded phone after having a modern wireless smart phone. The same is true for the enjoyment of running my trains.

Art
I miss that 30' phone cord that ran across our kitchen and threatened to strangle anyone who walked in that wasn't paying attention!!
Old 10-20-2019, 09:45 PM   #70
Dieseler
Conductor

Advancements are nice still use remotes and one of those that is not tech savvy so its remotes for me that should last my lifetime .
Dieseler is offline   Reply With Quote