Help with tender styles - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > General Model Train Discussion
Forgotten your password?

General Model Train Discussion Mostly anything goes, especially train related!

Old 10-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #11
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

@CTValleyRR -- sure, that makes a lot of sense and doesn't really surprise me that railroads would get as much versatility as possible out of their equipment, but it seems like these two designs were present in quite a number of different railroads which is leading me down this path of thinking there must have been some function to those designs that led to their common use.

I believe the D&RGW locos I'm looking for were numbered 751-759. Unfortunately I can only find a single picture of 759, and even the sites I usually visit for information don't have any pictures either. I think this will definitely be a case of settling for 'close enough', I guess I'm just trying to figure out if there was a distinct time period between the two tender styles.
Shdwdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 07:38 PM   #12
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
The basic function of the tender dictates your size and shape. Once the basic concept was more or less standardized in the early 19th Century, the shape of the tender was, too. The designs aren't identical, but they're close enough that you have to really know what you're looking for to see the differences. Most model railroad manufacturers just use a generic model anyway. The style with the higher front end was built to handle longer distances or heavy grades, both of which require more coal and water.

Unfortunately, for things like this, the internet can often only take you so far. Older images exist in libraries and historical societies all over the country, but the bulk of it hasn't been digitized and put online. There are literally millions of photos of the New Haven Railroad available to the public, but to see all but a small percentage of them, you actually have to visit the UConn central library in person and dig them out.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #13
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

More good info, and I appreciate it. I think I've settled on the version with the smaller drivers as the goal is to double-head them hauling a loading coal train up through a mountain pass (I really just wanted an excuse to double-head a train and these looked right for the job). That one is shown in the first picture with the straight-sided tender, which also happens to be a lot shorter, and since my main turntable will only be about 65-70 feet the length will also be important (although I'm still trying to find a reference on the length of these models).

Old 10-05-2019, 12:10 PM   #14
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

Well I'm excited... got one of the 52" non-lettered locos ordered, plus a tsunami 2 steam sound decoder. This will be my first experience with a commercial sound unit. I was experimenting with sound from an ESP32 (like an arduino) last year, so it will be nice to have something to compare against.

Oh and I did find one reference to the dimensions on these models. The longer one is 66' in length, so the one with the shorter tender that I ordered should fit a 65' turntable.

I don't suppose anyone knows if Bachmann supplies the plug to wire the DCC decoder to? Something that fits to the socket on the loco? I would assume they include that in the box since it's supposed to be DCC-ready but they use a non-standard plug arrangement.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #15
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

Oops, double-posted somehow
Old 10-06-2019, 12:25 PM   #16
Stumpy
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shdwdrgn View Post
I don't suppose anyone knows if Bachmann supplies the plug to wire the DCC decoder to? Something that fits to the socket on the loco? I would assume they include that in the box since it's supposed to be DCC-ready but they use a non-standard plug arrangement.
Mine had a standard NMRA 8-pin socket... in the tender. I installed a Digitrax DH126PS decoder. It was a tight fit - I couldn't imagine getting a speaker to fit in there too.

Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:36 PM   #17
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

Nice, I see you got the same one. I've heard that after a 20-minute break in these locos run beautifully -- how has your experience been?

The tsunami board I ordered was the specific number given for this loco, so it *should* fit with the speaker. I also found a customizable baffle I can print with my 3D printer, so I need to make up a couple to fit the two speakers I have and see how the sound quality comes out.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:34 AM   #18
Stumpy
Engineer

It and my Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidation run great.

The 2-10-0 Decapod, not so much. It shorts in the turnouts and the last time I tried to run it it would not budge. So it sits on a siding 'til I can get a roundtuit.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:43 PM   #19
ebtnut
Conductor

Re: Driver sizes - Larger drivers for high speeds, lower drivers for lower speeds. Passenger locos usually had drivers around 72" up to 90" in diameter. Freight engines used drivers between about 55" and 63". Now, there is some overlap in that range between 63" and about 72". Many modern freight steamers (circa late 1920's - 1940's) used 69" drivers for faster over-the-road service. Some passenger locos, like those in commuter service, had drivers in the mid-60's range. They weren't going to go 80 mph, and the smaller drivers gave more "dig" for accelerating away from frequent stops. BTW, the conventional formula is that the diameter of the drivers is approximately equal to the maximum speed capability of the loco. Not hard and fast, but a useful guidepost.
ebtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:30 PM   #20
Lemonhawk
Dispatcher

My decapod had a one time smoke generator in it. Sound still works, but no motion.
Lemonhawk is online now   Reply With Quote