Help with tender styles - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > General Model Train Discussion
Forgotten your password?

General Model Train Discussion Mostly anything goes, especially train related!

Old 10-08-2019, 10:33 AM   #21
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

The new loco arrived yesterday, and I was rather surprised at how small it is. It is very similar in stance to my HOn3 2-8-0, but the swell in the back half makes the boiler on the 4-6-0 a little larger. Since my line is based around 1905 with second-hand equipment these smaller locos actually look pretty good here, but I realized I have another problem now. My 0-4-0 switcher looks like a monster next to these other locos! Does anyone happen to have any suggestions for a smaller switcher that might fit in here? I noticed the Baldwin 0-4-2t could be a possibility, but wow, where would you even put the DCC decoder?
Shdwdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 12:45 PM   #22
Stumpy
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shdwdrgn View Post
Does anyone happen to have any suggestions for a smaller switcher that might fit in here? I noticed the Baldwin 0-4-2t could be a possibility, but wow, where would you even put the DCC decoder?
I got this little 0-6-0T with DCC on board.

https://www.trainworld.com/manufactu...ania-2780-DCC/

I'll take a pic of it next to the ten-wheeler tonight.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #23
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

Oh that's nice looking! Any chance you could get me a measurement of the driver and boiler diameters so I can get an idea of the overall size?

Old 10-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #24
ebtnut
Conductor

There's a real dearth of early 1900's small locos. The Bachmann models - the small-driver 4-6-0, the Baldwin 4-4-0, and the early Ma and Pa 4-4-0's fill the bill for road power. Pacific Fast Mail once imported a brass 0-6-0 for the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha (generally referred to as the Omaha Road) that would fit in if your budget can handle it. Check on evil-bay, where they do show up occasionally. I don't recall any worthwhile 0-4-0 models that would fit that period.
ebtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #25
Stumpy
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shdwdrgn View Post
Oh that's nice looking! Any chance you could get me a measurement of the driver and boiler diameters so I can get an idea of the overall size?
I'll put the calipers on 'em.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #26
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

I also ran across a Baldwin 0-4-4 that looks like the appropriate size, except it appears to be a narrow gauge model and I could only find it available in ON30 and G. The 0-6-0 that Stumpy shared is also available with a saddle tank, but it looks like the saddle is about 20 years newer than the box tank style. [EDIT] Sorry, that was a Baldwin 2-4-4t that I had found.

@ebtnut -- I seeing your point, all the 'smaller' switchers that I'm finding available seem to have been made in the '20s or later and would dwarf my 4-6-0. But I'm also having trouble finding any info on what was actually used for yard work in the late 1800s. Perhaps they didn't have anything dedicated at the time and just used whatever loco was handy?

Oh I forgot to mention one surprise with my 4-6-0... The box contains two different style cabs. I think these are wood and steel cabs but I haven't had a chance to really look at them that closely. It's a real shame they're not making this model in the Spectrum line any more, I'll just have to stick with finding them on ebay I guess.

I finally got an update on the shipping for the tsunami decoder, it should be here on Thursday. Guess I better open up the tender tonight and see if I can match up the connectors.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:17 PM   #27
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

Hey Stumpy, sorry to bug you about this, but could you also tell me the height from the top of the rail to the top of the cab? I've been trying to scale pictures to figure out the size of this thing, and I'm getting everything between 1.625 up to 1.95 inches (although the lower number was worked from a larger picture). If the cab height really is 1-5/8 then I'm in business. If it's closer to 2" then that makes it as tall as my newer-style locos.

By the way, I did find that this model is supposed to have 50" drivers.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:55 AM   #28
ebtnut
Conductor

Dedicated switchers were becoming common by the beginning of the 20th century. As I noted, though, models from that period are very scarce these days. And especially switchers, which aren't as useful to most modelers as road engines.
ebtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:02 AM   #29
Stumpy
Engineer

Drivers: .51"... that's the tread, not the flange.

Boiler diameter: .65"

Overall length: 4.5"

Cab height is pretty much the same as the ten-wheeler, but I'll get an actual measurement this evening.

Did a little digging on the innernets last night and found this side tank built in 1919... https://locomotive.fandom.com/wiki/B...erminal_No._12

Appears to me the Bachmann model is modeled after the tanks that were build for the Army in 1942-44.

http://www.railography.co.uk/info/cn...ofiles/xk2.htm

https://locomotive.fandom.com/wiki/U..._Army_No._5002

https://www.oklahomarailwaymuseum.or...porter-0-6-0t/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191008_201731569.jpg (558.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191008_201742196.jpg (494.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191008_201919255.jpg (495.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191008_202434495.jpg (651.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 10-09-2019, 10:56 AM   #30
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
Cab height is pretty much the same as the ten-wheeler, but I'll get an actual measurement this evening.
That's the bit I was hoping for! Your pictures pretty well make the case that those two locos look like they belong together on the same line, which was my biggest concern. If you think by eyeball they are about the same then no need for further measurements, I'm sold. Thanks for the help!

From the info I've dug up, Porter had the 0-6-0T with the square tanks listed in their 1892 catalog. The saddle tank model that Bachmann has is built after a prototype from 1910 by Alco, but I didn't see when the saddle was first introduced. I'm surprised the saddle didn't completely replace the square tank style, I wonder what the differences were that kept both styles alive (perhaps just a trademark issue)? What I can see of the details, it looks like Bachmann used the same base for both models, changing only the water tanks and the cab.

I'm actually surprised by the price of this loco. It's from bachmann's Spectrum line, so it has a lot of higher detailing, yet it is half the price of the ten-wheeler and still comes with a DCC card. I'll probably end up getting two with the square tanks and one of the saddles, and am hoping to eventually end up with three of the ten-wheelers. That should finish off my standard-gauge lineup at least.

Oh I forgot to ask... what's the monster in the front of your third picture? Is it really that much bigger than the 0-6-0T and 4-6-0, or was it just the camera angle? The 6's look dwarfed in between that front one and the rusted-out loco in the rear.