Connecting Kato to EZ-track (or something else) - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #1
Severn
Engineer

Connecting Kato to EZ-track (or something else)

Just curious if anyone has made this happen without too much pain and suffering. (I know I should 'just sell it all' -- but first pain and suffering)

But there's not just ez-track -- how about other track?
Severn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 09:33 AM   #2
prrfan
Conductor

Scales Modeled: HO
You need to be sure the track you are connecting the Kato to is code 83. I’ve only used Atlas sectional track on bridges that are too narrow for Kato.
The other track has to be shimmed up to meet the height of the Kato. IIRC this is 3/16”. HO cork roadbed works.

You remove the Unijoiner from the Kato and use a small rail joiner, like code 75.
Code 83 joiners will be much too big for the foot of the Kato rail. You may have to widen the joiner a bit to go on the other track and pinch it a bit on the Kato rail.
I think a transition type joiner, like a code 55 to a 75 might be ideal for this, but I’ve
never tried it.

This is the method I’ve used and it works for me. I never have done it with EZ Track.
prrfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #3
regorsky
Hobo

unitrack to flet

Found this on you tube, maybe will help

regorsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #4
prrfan
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by regorsky View Post
Found this on you tube, maybe will help

This piece is for N scale track. I’m assuming the OP is working with HO, since he posted in that section. As far as I know, Kato does not offer a transition piece like this in HO.
prrfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
Severn
Engineer

HO, yes that's right. I have a little experience in O connecting Lionel fastrack to Atlas, Gargraves and Ross. My advice: don't waste your time. Apparently I'm not learning from my mistakes -- but the deal is I have little Bachmann and would just like to try Kato...

It appears connectable with a little creative effort. I just thought some folks had done it and wondered about their experience.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:37 PM   #6
Murv2
Brakeman

I've done it:
1. cut the extensions off the end of one side of the EZtrack (locking arm and aligners).
2. Use the EZtrack joiners but put a piece of flat wire under the unitrack side.
3. Glue together. I use Walthers Goo.
If you feel the need shim under the Unitrack side. I use mine on the roundhouse approach so it doesn't get as much use as on a mainline.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2116.JPG (2.46 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2117.JPG (2.06 MB, 5 views)
Murv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:55 PM   #7
Murv2
Brakeman

For regular track I got a piece of 3/16" board, again big joiners with flat wire under the Kato track. I didn't glue this because I didn't want it permanent. (Sorry the picture is a little blurry.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2118.JPG (1.77 MB, 5 views)
Murv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:59 AM   #8
Severn
Engineer

These look good to me. I also have some micro-eng. flex track, and some tyco track. I tried the former but it's so light, it didn't work since I don't have anything fixed. I didn't try the old tyco track and don't have a lot of it. I was toying with the idea of some atlas or some other brand that does not have the plastic road bed, but also a heavier construction just to see if it worked. and i'd like to glom it all together at least until I decide to go all kato or something else...

Anyway thanks for the tips!
Old 10-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #9
regorsky
Hobo

You are so correct. I have returned more pieces than I like to confess because I overlooked the scale.
regorsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #10
Severn
Engineer

I just managed, and it's a hack-o-rama -- to connect up some of my micro engineering flex track to some bachman gray ez-track.

It was quite a bit of work but its noticeably quieter when the train hits that portion ...

That's a big plus for me, but everything else about putting it is a big negative.