Boeing 737 MAX - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > Union Station
Forgotten your password?

Union Station Off topic discussions - take a load off after a busy day of model railroading.

Old 10-19-2019, 05:29 AM   #1
seayakbill
Station Master

Boeing 737 MAX

Sure looks like the crap is going to hit the fan for the Boeing Co. If it is proven that Boeing was well aware of the issues before the plane entered service some folks need to be heading to the slammer.

Bill
seayakbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
Spence
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: O
I'm glad that I don't own any of there stock.
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #3
Severn
Engineer

airbus had that problem with the frozen pitot tubes. i think it's still being fought in the courts. same kind of thing in my mind.
Severn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2019, 07:53 PM   #4
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
Yep, having worked in Aerospace for 20+ years, I've seen a lot of stuff that would make your hair curl. It's not all as "black-n-white" as you might imagine.
gunrunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:26 PM   #5
Frisco Firefly
Dispatcher

Southwest Airlines, the launch customer, took delivery of its first 737 MAX on August 29, 2017. Boeing planned to deliver at least 50 to 75 aircraft in 2017, 10–15% of the more than 500 737s to be delivered in the year.

After one year of service, 130 MAXs had been delivered to 28 customers, logging over 41,000 flights in 118,000 hours and flying over 6.5 million passengers. flydubai observed 15% more efficiency than the NG, more than the 14% promised, and dependability reached 99.4%.

Makes me wonder. How did they manage all this before some pilot couldn't fly the plane.

Software ? How many years has Microsoft been working at it and still can't get it right.
Frisco Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:12 PM   #6
MichaelE
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
It's not that they couldn't fly the plane, it's that they forgot to fly the plane.

Had they turned off the system and disengaged the A/P (button on control yoke) they likely would have regained control of the aircraft, stabilized it, and re-engaged the A/P to continue the flight.

But I wasn't there to know exactly what went on in those cockpits.

Except to say they forgot to fly the plane.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:13 AM   #7
highvoltage
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O, O27
From what I've read, turning off the MCAS wasn't straightforward, or well taught.
highvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:15 PM   #8
Lee Willis
Train Master

Scales Modeled: O-Gauge
I read the article in the NYT Magazine, which makes me wonder how much the FAA is to blame, too. A real screw up all around.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #9
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Boing pretty much certified the plane themselves. Not a good idea.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:24 PM   #10
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
Truthfully, there aren't nearly enough FAA people to actually truly understand the complex systems in a modern aircraft.

A little example. I was the project engineer on a black box called the EDM for the JPATS military trainer. The box handled fuel gauging and balancing, engine instrumentation, and even nose-wheel steering. Basically, all the stuff that was left over from other OEM boxes we stuffed into that one. When all the paperwork was done, we had two legal sized boxes of paper for the certification and TSO. We went up to the FAA in Long Island and they "reviewed" the paperwork and we got the TSO in one day. What do you think the chances are that they actually read a significant part of the 100+ pounds of paper we brought?

New companies and/or new technology (think lithium batteries, composite constructions, etc.) are carefully scrutinized and all their documentation is thoroughly reviewed. If you're an established aerospace firm, and you've had a number of successful products without significant issues at any stage, the process is considerably streamlined.
gunrunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote