What a Great Time of the Year! - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:39 PM   #21
jay jay
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: Primarily O, but have some G, S, HO and N.
USA

Agreed! More dealers at the shows and Trainfest in a few weeks. Beautiful autumn colors for a time, and then sleet or snow. Oh, well.
jay jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2019, 07:31 PM   #22
MrToad
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: O gauge
Fall

I love this time of year -

i love to bake - the fall and Christmas spices and smells are great

We always make a trip into the Blue Ridge to see the leaves

BUT

This year i am looking forward to your Christmas and Photos

Going to be fun

MrToad
Old 10-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #23
SantaFeJim
Engineer

Scales Modeled: O & HO
USA

I just copied this post from the Union Station chat:

The Old Farmer's Almanac Predicts an Alarming Number of Snowstorms Will Happen This Winter

https://news.yahoo.com/old-farmers-a...151500914.html

The Old Farmer's Almanac just released its annual extended forecast for winter 2019-2020.

The Almanac predicts "a repeat of last winter's record-breaking extremes," including heavy snow and freezing temperatures.

Not long after the Farmers' Almanac suggested it would be a "freezing, frigid, and frosty" season, the *other* Farmer's Almanac has released its annual weather forecast—and it's equally upsetting.

Sounds like fun!!!

SantaFeJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2019, 04:34 PM   #24
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
What Farmer's Almanac is that?

I looked here...

00.png

And I found this long range forecast for PA.

000.png

Doesn't look too scary to me. Of course, this could be out in left field, I'm counting on Al Gore coming through for me and having warming.
gunrunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:55 PM   #25
SantaFeJim
Engineer

Scales Modeled: O & HO
USA

This Farmers Almanac

-----------------------------------------------------------------
https://news.yahoo.com/old-farmers-a...151500914.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The Old Farmer's Almanac Predicts an Alarming Number of Snowstorms Will Happen This Winter

The Old Farmer's Almanac just released its annual extended forecast for winter 2019-2020.

The Almanac predicts "a repeat of last winter's record-breaking extremes," including heavy snow and freezing temperatures.

Make sure you have a reliable pair of snow boots, because you're definitely going to need them this winter.

Not long after the Farmers' Almanac suggested it would be a "freezing, frigid, and frosty" season, the *other* Farmer's Almanac has released its annual weather forecast—and it's equally upsetting.

While the first publication focused on the cold temperatures anticipated this winter, the Old Farmer's Almanac predicts that excessive snowfall will be the most noteworthy part of the season.

The Old Farmer's Almanac, which was founded in 1792, says that the upcoming winter "will be remembered for strong storms" featuring heavy rain, sleet, and a lot of snow. The periodical actually used the word "snow-verload" to describe the conditions we can expect in the coming months.

"The 2020 Old Farmer's Almanac is calling for frequent snow events—from flurries to no fewer than seven big snowstorms from coast to coast," explains the press release.

Did you catch that? No fewer than seven big snowstorms.

In addition to excessive precipitation, below-normal temperatures are expected with "frigid and frosty conditions" lasting well into the spring for some parts of the country.

"This could feel like the never-ending winter, particularly in the Midwest and east to the Ohio Valley and Appalachians, where wintery weather will last well into March and even through the first days of spring," says Almanac editor Janice Stillman.

If you're planning to escape the cold weather, the forecast notes that "even typically tropical Hawaii will feel the chill" and experience cooler temperatures and heavy thunderstorms—so you might want to hold off on that beach vacation.

The Old Farmer's Almanac was 80.5% accurate in predicting last year's wild weather, and its report for the upcoming season is very similar to that of the competing Farmer's Almanac. In other words, the chances that we'll escape this winter without a few snowstorms and freezing temperatures are *very* slim.

SantaFeJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:58 PM   #26
Traindiesel
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O Gauge
Everyday is train season for me! I do enjoy all the scenarios listed above, except for the snow.

I used to love snow, until I had to make a living and drive in that crap! Once on my way to work I slid the entire length of a street and through a busy intersection just before the light turned green the other way. I stopped the car, took a few deep breaths and turned around and went home and back into bed under the covers.

Now living in Southern California, fall doesn't arrive until February then goes right into late Spring. Had a couple nice beach days in January. It's great weather for running trains and rail fanning too!

Brian
President, Chief Executive Officer
Penn American Railroad
"Serving the Basement"

Northern Central High Railers (Western Division)

Eat, Sleep, Run Trains, Repeat !
Traindiesel is offline   Reply With Quote