Which brand do you collect? - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > General Model Train Discussion
Forgotten your password?

General Model Train Discussion Mostly anything goes, especially train related!

View Poll Results: Which brand of model trains do you collect?
American Flyer 62 10.84%
Arnold 7 1.22%
Bachmann 146 25.52%
Fleischmann 23 4.02%
Hornby 20 3.50%
Lionel 188 32.87%
Marklin 27 4.72%
Marx 46 8.04%
Roco 19 3.32%
Other 321 56.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #11
x_doug_x
Engineer

i like the tyco/mantua metal loco's.
x_doug_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 12:28 AM   #12
MacDaddy55
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: "Ho" all the way And Christmas "O" "O' "O"!!
Crash & Burn Section!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcruiser View Post
I'd be curious how many have Tyco in the "other" category. Not so much that these are "collector's items" or anything close to that, but it seems many of us have a bunch of 'em from way back when we were kids. Maybe?

TJ
Yeah TJ,
As kids we started out with these and now they are just" Fodder for the Garage Floor" or "Great Train Wrecks We Know and Love! Other is the perfect place...but these are the building blocks to running more sophisticated rolling stock and engines...they have served their purpose admirably! I run Atlas,Athearn,AHM/Rivarossi!
MacDaddy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:59 AM   #13
tooter
play every day

Scales Modeled: HO, Lionel post war O, 1:8 riding railroad
The only thing close to a collection is this small group of 50 year old Model Engineering Works all diecast rolling stock. I think they're really cool...

tooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 03:31 AM   #14
TulsaFlyer
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: N, HO, O
Right now, I would say a good 80% of my stuff is Tyco.
I didn't set out to find it, it just seemed to find me.

Jody
TulsaFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #15
Vish
Community support

Scales Modeled: HO
Hi guys!

I started this poll to get to know more about the reputed modelling brands. I did some surfing and found these brands which seem to be popular

Athearn-HO scale
Kato-HO scale
Atlas-HO scale
MPH-O scale

If you think I've missed out some brands which are important, Please let me know and I will start a new poll with a comprehensive list.

Thanks!
Vish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #16
T-Man
Yard Master & Research

Scales Modeled: Lionel, S, HO
Vish, I have noticed that Canada has a strong European influence with buisness. In the states we don't see a lot of imported trains. Some brands are common but I would guess most are not. Now a place like Eurohobbies specializes in imports and carries many of the brands you have mentioned for Canada and the US. This is just something to keep in mind.

How-To Column and Signature links Post number 4.

Links under O Scale Information

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkM...BLo3pJN1FGE1Gg
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #17
Reckers
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: S Scale and N scale suitcase train!
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
Vish, I have noticed that Canada has a strong European influence with buisness. In the states we don't see a lot of imported trains. Some brands are common but I would guess most are not. Now a place like Eurohobbies specializes in imports and carries many of the brands you have mentioned for Canada and the US. This is just something to keep in mind.
That was the reason for my "What are you guys doing and why" question in another thread. It would appear Toypedia is UK-based (not an issue); the items posted for discussion were all of European manufacture, stuff we don't see much of on this side of the water. That led me to wonder if we were being gently encouraged to buy European products, or if Toypedia's knowledge and experience was simply limited to those manufacturers. It would appear the latter is the case.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #18
Reckers
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: S Scale and N scale suitcase train!
Vish,

Let me save you some digging, since I have a few minutes before lunch. I'm going to give you a synopsis of American Flyer and S scale.

In brief: American Flyer was the primary developer and manufacturer of S scale in the USA. It's golden years were just before WWII and after the war. It's best products, IMHO, were manufactured from around 1938 to 1960. Shortly after that, it went bankrupt. Lionel bought the tooling, the name, and so on and now produces it as a minor part of it's catalog, generally referred to as "Flyonel". There are other manufacturers of S scale, but they never have caught on the way American Flyer or Flyonel have.

I think it's fair to say the largest segment of S scale users are running antique, American Flyer equipment made in the 1938 to 1960 period. S scale is halfway between O and HO, incidentally, and is generally acknowledged to be superior to all other model railroad equipment. Okay, most of them admit it, but privately.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #19
Vish
Community support

Scales Modeled: HO
Yep, all European stuff so far (and I am from India - not sure what the brands over there are). The folks at Toy Collector have started with ToyPedia almost 2 years ago and now have 35,000 diecast cars (with more than 100,000 coming). I started single-handed to upload model trains and my first data was coming from a Hornby dealer (Hornby now owns Arnold, Lima, Ravarossi). Am now working to get North American sources (subtle hint ) and should have something soon.
Vish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #20
tjcruiser

Scales Modeled: Prewar Lionel O ... and some dusty HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckers View Post
S scale is halfway between O and HO, incidentally, and is generally acknowledged to be superior to all other model railroad equipment.
Cough ... COUGH ... Hack ... HACK ... COUGH ...

Jeez ... is it me, or is it getting smokey in here? I think someone is blowing lots of smoke around!

TJ
tjcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote