Bullet trains vs airplanes in China - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > The Right of Way > Other Prototypes
Forgotten your password?

Other Prototypes Discuss prototypes in far away lands, or close by.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
Fire21
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N-Scale.
Bullet trains vs airplanes in China

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bluhw3nPaE
Fire21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
sstlaure
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO
China airlines......you've seen us drive, now watch us fly.

Check out my HO build threads: [url]14X16 Switching style https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=8241
sstlaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:12 AM   #3
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
That would make train travel between many cities much more practical. I have always marveled how we let the railroads get into such disrepair in this country.
gunrunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2015, 03:51 PM   #4
Fire21
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N-Scale.
The automobile led to the demise of our railroads. Even today a lot of freight travels on trucks when it seems it'd be more practical to ship it on trains. Most likely the majority of our populace would prefer to travel in their own car rather than take a train to a destination I think having our own wheels with us leads to a lot of that thinking, along with no hassles renting a car.

Reduced availability of trains has led to higher prices to ride the ones that do run. Although much less comfortable and much more hassle, air travel meets more peoples' needs: rapid transit. The days of riding and seeing the country are behind us. Today everyone wants to get there quickly, do what they're there for, and get home quickly.

As a kid, I remember a couple train trips to Missouri to visit relatives. Would love to do that trip again, but the nearest passenger depot is over 300 miles...totally impractical.
Fire21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:21 PM   #5
mikek
Conductor

Scales Modeled: HO
Philadelphia has good rail systems. Trolleys go around to a lot of outlying neighborhoods, commuters can take the train into the city to work, and you can get a long distance train at the same terminal. Besides that, they have good bus systems, too.
I used the combined bus and trolley system to get to work, enjoyed it immensely. While you are waiting for your trolley, you can grab a good bagel and cream cheese or a cheese-steak sandwich.
mikek is offline   Reply With Quote