A Collection of Track Plans - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Layout Design Forum
Forgotten your password?

Layout Design Forum Discussion resource for planning your dream layout, large, small or micro!

Old 01-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #1
/6 matt
Conductor

Scales Modeled: Ho scale, O gauge packed away.
A Collection of Track Plans

After seeing and being inspired by DonR's thread to collect finished layouts (Here: https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=66578) I decided to make a thread for track plans to be posted to make it easier for beginners or veterans alike to find ideas. I will try to make sure all of my own plans are ones that are free from inherent flaws (clearances, reach etc.)

These are for unbuilt, untested plans. As with Don's thread I will ask that everyone please refrain from commenting here and instead send pm's if you have questions or comments. Also, after you upload pictures of your plans, please click the paperclip and choose insert all so that your pictures appear in thread like mine do. It will make viewing easier for everybody.

So without further ado, everybody post your track plans, tell us any additional info on it (min radius, dimensions etc.)

Last edited by /6 matt; 01-22-2016 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Broken Link a d missing info
/6 matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2016, 01:56 PM   #2
/6 matt
Conductor

This is an HO layout I designed for a member based of the MRR Virginian project. It is a 6'x10' so there will be needs for trap door/access hatches. The minimum radius on the mainline and the spur is 28" and the max grade is 2.5%. This plan uses Peco code 83 Flex track with peco turnouts, #6 on mainlines and #4 on sidings. Curved turnouts are Shinohara #7.5

LFB Virginian Flex.jpg

LFB Virginian Flex 3D.jpg
Old 01-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
/6 matt
Conductor

Up Next is an N scale layout built upon a 36"x80" hollow core door. This one used Peco code 55 Flex flex with a minimum radius of 13" and I used Peco small radius turnouts on sidings and spurs as well as the yard and Peco medium radius on the the main. Crossings are Atlas code 55, 90° and 22.5°. This layout incorporates a reversing section and therefore DCC is highly recommended.

Sleepy Hollow.jpg

Last edited by /6 matt; 01-22-2016 at 02:34 PM..

Old 01-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
/6 matt
Conductor

Last one for today is a recently designed N scale layout to be built upon a 32"x80" hollow core door and is to be supported on the ends by two 36" tall book cases from Wal-Mart.com This one is once again built with Peco code 55 flex and uses all Peco medium radius turnouts on the mainline with small radius in the yard. There is one Peco WYE turnout in the yard as well. Max grade here is 2.1% and minimum radius is 14" on the main and 12" in one spur. This layout incorporates a reversing section therefore DCC is recommended

N Scale Shelf Layout.jpg

N Scale Shelf Layout 3D.jpg

N Scale Shelf Layout 3D-2.jpg

Last edited by /6 matt; 01-22-2016 at 02:35 PM..
Old 01-23-2016, 02:33 PM   #5
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Western Maryland

This is a basic figure 8 in HO scale that I designed for a beginner who just wanted to "railfan". 18" Radius curves, some flextrack, #6.5 curved turnouts.

His desire was to create realistic mountain scenery, with a small train running around to showcase it. He did not have me add structures -- the top area would be filled with a small village, and some miscellaneous structures elsewhere, for flavor.

The layout is 5' wide, which means the center would be barely reachable for most of us. It also requires for very steep 3% grades, which was fine for the short trains the client wanted.

West MD.jpg

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
CTValleyRR
Train Master

N Scale Western USA

Here is a layout plan based on a cut down version of the Model Railroader Inyo and White Mountain track plan, shortened by 2' in the vertical dimension (on the page). Because of this, the lower right area is severely cramped. Even though the client had the room available, he insisted on the shortened version, which really doesn't do justice to the original design.

The layout is 10' x 8', Grades are 2%, curves mostly 18" radius, with a few sharper ones, and an odd variety of Peco N-Line turnouts, as well as an Atlas 90 degree crossing which had to be cut down to fit (a result of the shortening of the layout). I would urge anyone interested in this design to consult the original (available in the MR Online layout database).

Bfink Version 1.2.jpg

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-23-2016, 02:58 PM   #7
CTValleyRR
Train Master

HO Southwestern Desert

Designed for a client to use approximately half of a large outbuilding (layout dimensions are 13'x15'), this layout was also for a client who was primarily interested in just watching trains run. He wanted large, modern equipment, so the layout uses 24" curves, #8 turnouts, and no elevation changes. Unusually, the client insisted on the use of two double crossovers, whereas the original design had two single crossovers in those locations. While it does make switching the mine in the lower left easier, it adds complexity and expense.

Note that there is no way to turn trains on the layout (other than the HOG). Direction of operation is counterclockwise. A Y or reversing loop could be added with a minor redesign of the lower right corner.

Denny Sample #1.jpg

Old 01-23-2016, 03:20 PM   #8
CTValleyRR
Train Master

NW USA Logging Layout

This one was a collaborative effort between me and the client. The final plan is his, much of the way it came together is mine.

This 24 x 26 HO scale layout represents a logging scene in the Pacific Northwest (although it could be in any heavily forested area. The upper and lower levels are separated by 9" vertically; the uppermost red track is the sloped track, which joins the levels at a 3% grade (fine for the small steam locos that will work it). The upper area is heavily forested with logging camps and sawmills; the lower area will be more densely populated (towns and industry). The staging yard on the gray peninsula is detachable, and is on a lifting, wheeled platform to drop and roll under the layout when not in use.

Design parameters are min radius 18", min turnout #4.

jimmyperry_00 Plan Ver 3.jpg

Old 01-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #9
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Growth of a Layout

This person had a very simple 4x8 HO layout:

MCR Layout.jpg
He wanted some help expanding it, so we added a little strip onto the lower right side, giving him a little more room to create the dramatic mountain scenery he wanted near his coal mine, and another foot on the left to expand his town / industrial area:

MCR Expanded Layout.jpg
Trying to get him to think out of the box, I put together a rough draft of what he could accomplish in the same space by going around the walls instead of sticking to the sheet of plywood. This one has a 2.5% grade (note in the plan that I didn't bother to smooth it) and 28" radius curves and #6 turnouts in the 12x12 space. This design would require a lift out, gate, or duckunder in the upper right corner.

MCR Around the Room Layout #1.jpg

Old 01-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #10
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Good Operational Layout

Another collaborative effort, I really like how this one turned out, with a good mix of running and switching squeezed into an irregular 9x23 space. An HO design with a min curve radius of 22", #6 turnouts, and 2% inclines, this is an example of using inclines in BOTH directions (the tunnel tracks in the lower right slope DOWN while the uphill branch slopes up), thus providing the necessary clearance where they cross. The tunnel tracks then slope back up to base height to rejoin the layout on the left side.

My original had a town on the hills in the lower right, which my partner ultimately decided to delete in favor of natural scenery.

Preliminary Design vers 2.jpg